Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Two more late night watchers...School of Rock, and The Missing

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-04, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

School of Rock was disappointing to me, and I had low expectations to begin with. Jack was too over the top, but I did like his voice. The kids were pretty stiff. The principal was not Larry Miller (which I think should be mandated by law), but Joan was decent. In the end, there were 90 minutes of my life I will not get back. I enjoyed the end performance, but little else had me going. Suprised it got 3 stars. Definately a 2 star film.

The Missing is one I really wanted to watch. Mainly because the previews looked decent, and then I never heard another word about it. Turns out the reason was because it was bad. The begining took far too long to give character development that essentially meant nothing. The Indian witch was an interesting character, but the ending was such a disappointment.
Spoiler:
We have an Indian witch, who casts curses, etc. We have the use of protective jewlery. We have the daughter using BIble verses to help thwart the evil curse, etc. Great build up. Very good stuff. And then he dies when Tommy Lee Jones throws himself and the witch off a cliff. Man it seemed like a seriously lame way to take out both characters.

Here was 130 minutes I will never get back.

If you have ever read a post about the movies I enjoy, you are a stalker, because I don't post those very often. But if you just lucked out and saw some, you would see that I enjoy most everything. It just doesn't take much for me. I enjoyed The Core and loved Not Another Teen Movie, and even enjoyed Dickie Roberts more than most.

You see, I have low expectations of nearly every show I see, and they generally meet or exceed them. But these two movies were just plain. They weren't BAD, they just weren't entertaining. Someone edited well, and someone acted decent, and the story probably had promise, but it just never made me care to keep watching.

So tonight, I look for some other show that I have low expectations of. Maybe a movie with The Rock in it.
Old 04-22-04, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have to disagree about School of Rock. That and Old School are the two best comedies of recent memory IMO. Both tremendous replay value.
Old 04-22-04, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
It may be that I need to watch it more to appreciate it. I enjoyed Old School, but School of Rock never really took off.
Old 04-22-04, 07:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
School of Rock is terrific and has a lot of rewatchability. Black was hilarious and the kids were great.

"Those that can't do....teach. Those that can't teach......teach Gym".
Old 04-22-04, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thouroughly enjoyed School of Rock and really liked The Missing (though it did take a good thirty minutes before I was really into it). Just my brief two cents. I own both and I'll probably end up rewatching both some point into the future.
Old 04-22-04, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

haven't seen the missing but school was brilliant imo, and I thought the kids were great.
Old 04-23-04, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just saw School yesterday, and not being a Jack Black fan, found this an okay kids comedy/drama. I laughed once or twice, but Black's comedy of just being a 'wild man" doesn't really impress me, IMO. If you ARE a jack black fan, I would recommend this movie though. But to people like me who aren't, I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 05-30-04, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
School ofRock was a bit disappointing. Thought it was going to knock my socks off but it was just amuzing 2 *'s

The Missing was supposed to be this intense thriller. It was really just a Western with a witchdoctor theme. Had some pretty decent action and good performances but Ron Howard has done better work. 2 1/2 *'s
Old 05-30-04, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Two more late night watchers...School of Rock, and The Missing

Originally posted by kvrdave
Here was 130 minutes I will never get back.
To be fair, you aren't going to be getting any 130 minutes back. Anyway, I enjoyed School of Rock quite a bit, and while I thought The Missing had some above average elements to it, I ended up thinking it was just okay.