DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Long Kiss Goodnight - did you like it or not? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/359736-long-kiss-goodnight-did-you-like-not.html)

Trigger 04-21-04 02:50 AM

Long Kiss Goodnight - did you like it or not?

I've always liked this movie... great action, witty dialogue, interesting premise, and a really fun performance from Samuel Jackson. It's probably my favorite Geena Davis performance - even though it was quite a stretch for her.

Anyway - I've been catching it on cable lately and I still like it... anyone else think this is an underrated action gem? Or do you think it's a pile of steaming crap like everything else that Hollywood barfs out?

I thought about making this a poll, but I'm sick of polls.

SomeVoices 04-21-04 02:54 AM

Oh man, it's been forever since I've seen this movie. I really liked it though, especially Sam Jackson.

Kumar J 04-21-04 03:01 AM

I liked it.

the narrator 04-21-04 03:16 AM

i remember liking it, but it's been a few years since i've seen it though

jaeufraser 04-21-04 03:26 AM

Oh I liked it. It's a fun action movie, and Geena Davis is believeable with a gun. Not a spectacular movie, but definatley a solid aciton flick.

silentbob007 04-21-04 07:24 AM

I remember seeing this movie in the theater ... opening weekened and only about 6 people were in attendance.

Anyway, love the movie. Samuel L. Jackson is awesome, and the dialogue is quirky enough to be interesting. There are also some really neat action sequences.

Tarantino 04-21-04 07:37 AM

I dig it.

Groucho 04-21-04 07:39 AM

It wasn't bad, although once Davis fully "recovers" it goes downhill...but the scenes with her slowly regaining her "powers" are pretty good.

cruzness 04-21-04 07:48 AM

I thought it was cool. Definately a fun action flick.

mlemmond 04-21-04 07:53 AM

I like it and own the dvd, Sam Jackson was great in this movie.

Giles 04-21-04 08:08 AM

One of my guilty pleasures - my DTS laserdisc of this flick is smokin' (one of the loudest audio transfers of a film to disc).

RyoHazuki 04-21-04 08:14 AM

(snobbish voice) The Schrader cut was far supierior than the loathesome Harlin version.

fryinpan1 04-21-04 08:41 AM

I liked the movie and it has one of my favorite explosions. Sam Jackson was really funny.

Geofferson 04-21-04 09:13 AM

I too haven't seen this in a while, but I remember liking it. Shane Black really left his mark on this one.

Dr. DVD 04-21-04 09:24 AM

I got it as part of a two pack with Eraser. Sold Eraser and kept Long Kiss.

Overall, it's not as good as I remembered it being for some reason. Still entertaining, but the bad acting really stands out at times.

nemein 04-21-04 09:36 AM

I don't remember much about it to be honest. According to netflix I rated it 3 stars but I didn't buy it so it means I liked it but not enough that I would necessarily want to watch it again.

Moefuscious 04-21-04 09:41 AM

Damn.... the last time I saw this was at the movies. Always thought the part when they jumped out of the building and were falling toward the frozen lake firing shots through the ice was pretty cool. :up:

movielib 04-21-04 10:10 AM

Originally posted by Giles
One of my guilty pleasures - my DTS laserdisc of this flick is smokin' (one of the loudest audio transfers of a film to disc).
I have that LD too and I agree with your assessment. BTW, I like the film and give it a solid ***/****.

Also, I like Craig Bierko. It looks like that could have been miscasting but I think he pulled it off.

wendersfan 04-21-04 10:12 AM

That was Renny Harlin, right? I remember enjoying it, and I thought it was unfairly lambasted by critics. It seemed like a lot of fun, basically.

movielib 04-21-04 10:16 AM

Originally posted by wendersfan
That was Renny Harlin, right? I remember enjoying it, and I thought it was unfairly lambasted by critics. It seemed like a lot of fun, basically.
It was his followup to Cutthroat Island when he and Geena were together. Definite improvement.

jdpatri 04-21-04 11:49 AM

Good flick with high rewatchability factor. :up:

DonnachaOne 04-21-04 12:15 PM

Excellent, excellent film. Everything an action movie needs.

Trigger 04-21-04 01:00 PM

Wow - thought there would be more naysayers saying nay... glad to see others enjoyed this flick.

DonnachaOne 04-21-04 01:03 PM

I, too, am surprised there are this many people agreeing with Trigger. ;)

QuiGonJosh 04-21-04 01:17 PM

Def. one of the best action flicks of the past 10 years!