Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Showdown at the House of Blue Leaves - Color vs B/W

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Which version do you like better?
Black and white
20.75%
Color
28.30%
Like them equally
11.32%
Haven't seen both versions
39.62%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Showdown at the House of Blue Leaves - Color vs B/W

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-04, 08:53 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Lara Means
How soon till the color version of the fight hits the internet?
already has my friend, already has

several days ago, flawless dvd rip including subs
Old 04-20-04, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup. but for my money, it was worth it to buy the R2 version with a nice box. But the Boot has been on the net since I would say friday (that's when it hit the local watering hole I look at)
Old 04-20-04, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Rivero
For the last friggin' time.....IT WAS INTENDED TO BE B&W!!!!

Didn't ANY of you read the script??!
No it's not. Not INTENDED. much like it wasn't intended to be split in two, but it happened and he was pleased with it.

The color <--> B&W scene on the other than he said that he liked both equally

for the most part he will include the Color scene in the collectors version when he cuts the two films together. So that should tell you something.

and des, he must be lieing to the world other then those few markets who actually got the color fight scene. There was more then just the color cut from the B&W version. small parts that make the fight scenes flow a lot better.
Old 04-20-04, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the Japanese version is truly Tarantino's "true vision" of the movie then wouldn't he want to get that version out to as many people as possible? I might be wrong but weren't Japan and Hong Kong the only two places that got the Japanese version? If the B & W was done strictly because of the MPAA then he could have still released the full color Japanese version in alot more countries than he did. If the B & W is not what he intended then why would he release a "cut" version to the whole world except for Japan and Hong Kong? If the B & W was only released in America and a couple of other countries I might be more inclined to believe that the B & W exists only because of the MPAA.
Old 04-20-04, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's a little bit of both. Yes, those asian markets are the only ones who got the color. It was a sorta of way that QT could show his love for the region by giving them an extra. But the scene was a little more then just stripping it of color. It is missing some scenes that allow the whole piece flow a bit smoother as the american version was slightly more choppy. So that aspect would be for MPAA purpose.

I think both are something QT is happy with at the end of the day. But to say that it was INTENDED to be in B&W is a lie and shouldn't be believed. It was in color and then QT stripped it of color and edited it a bit for safety sake. He then found he was pleased with how it turned out so both are something he enjoys, while one is how it originally was suppose to be like.
Old 04-20-04, 09:28 PM

Silly me, I figger if Quentin went to the trouble to specify the B&W in the original script (again, have you people even LOOKED at the script?), that's how it should be.

But it's making a mountain out of a molehill. Color or B&W doesn't change the scene substantially, and it's such an (intentionally) silly, lightweight scene that it's hard to get to roused up about it either way.
Old 04-20-04, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jack.. Jack.. it IS in the early script I read today. Though I noticed it said blood changes from crimson red to oil black, which was not the case as filmed now as the blood is very clear looking.
Old 04-20-04, 09:32 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by welb25
If the Japanese version is truly Tarantino's "true vision" of the movie then wouldn't he want to get that version out to as many people as possible? I might be wrong but weren't Japan and Hong Kong the only two places that got the Japanese version? If the B & W was done strictly because of the MPAA then he could have still released the full color Japanese version in alot more countries than he did.
Let's not forget that America is actually one of the more liberal world markets for film content. Proof of this is that he's planning to release the Japanese versions in America as an NC-17 film. There's a lot of countries in the world that won't even allow the Japanese version to be shown, period. That may be why only Japan and Hong Kong are getting the color sequence.
Old 04-20-04, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not only is the FIGHT CUT TO THE HEAVY METAL MUSIC, but The Bride seems to be somewhat dancing to it as she fights.

This explosion of furious violence is punctuated CINEMATICALLY BY THE COLOR IN THE FILM POPPING OFF, and the fight being filmed in HIGH CONTRAST BLACK AND WHITE, turning the squirting, spewing geysers of BLOOD FROM CRIMSON RED TO OIL BLACK.

...stuff happens...

The seven remaining sword-weilding, black-suited boys moved out of range of the Bride's blade when she dropped to the floor. Now spread out, they make a large half-circle.

The Bride, slowly points the tip of her blade to the floor, lowers herself to one knee and slightly bows her head. In repose.

EX CU The Bride's eyes pointed up, watch them move closer, COLOR COMES BACK INTO THE FILM. We see her face is splashed with blood.
Old 04-20-04, 09:34 PM

Yes,it is in the screenplay. Hasn't the screenplay been on the net for a couple of years? It's possible he was already thinking about trouble he might have with the MPAA way back when he was writing it but I don't know.
Old 04-20-04, 09:45 PM

I do know ! Taratino knows the MPAA, cmon look at his previous movies

hence him putting in the B&W sequence even on the script

Ditto with the anime sequence, he knew the full enchilada would get cut by the MPAA hence he decided to do the cuts himself

My heart was pumping through the color version of the House of Blue leaves fight. Whereas with the B&W version it was just blah
Old 04-20-04, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Many things are in the screenplay that never made it to film. Go Go's sister revenage, a whole lot more to the end of the film etc. A lot didn't make it and a lot changed in it's route.

Hell, a lot of the fight scene itself is cut out in the B&W, a flip done by kiddo at the start, hands chopped off when she is standing on a crazy 88 member. It's a lot of jump cuts when you look at both versions.

I voted on both being equal in the sense because even though I saw the color and enjoyed it, I realize the B&W is what I saw it in first. Now, if it's not his intentions to have some color in it, he could have gone with a color substance that would pick up more on B&W then actually using red colorful blood to film in Black and White so it wouldn't look like water.

Perhaps it was something he was on the fence on all the while. The guy has been known for making up his mind as he goes along.
Old 04-20-04, 09:49 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
No it's not. Not INTENDED.
Yes it was. It was in the script, read by me and many others BEFORE THE FILM EVEN STARTED FILMING.

END OF STORY
Old 04-20-04, 09:55 PM

Yeah, it's really no use trying to convince each other. I like both and I'm really glad I have both the R1 disc and R2 Japanese disc.
Old 04-20-04, 10:03 PM
Banned by request

Yes it was. It was in the script, read by me and many others BEFORE THE FILM EVEN STARTED FILMING.

END OF STORY
So then why is the Japanese version in color?
Old 04-20-04, 10:20 PM

END OF STORY
no mate NOT END OF STORY DAMMIT!

It was in the script because Tarantino knew he would have problems with the MPAA so he was thinking in advance. He wanted the fight to be hell gory and violent and he knew it would be cut if done in full color, hence the scene is on the script shown as B&W. But if Tarantino has a choice , he would have the scene in color. He didn't have a choice in America because of the MPAA, he did have a choice in Asia and look what he chose , he chose the color version !

now END OF STORY
Old 04-20-04, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

END OF STORY

Oh, great, well that's the end of that story. So since everything on paper makes it to screen or is intended to make it to screen I don't think we saw the real film since I don't recall seeing Yuki Yubari in the big screen during any sort of "Yuki's Revenge" Chapter..

Shit gets put on, taken off scripts all the time and minds change BEFORE THE FILM EVEN STARTED FILMING.. not to mention While the film starts filming. Taking QT's track record we should have already seen the Vega brothers on the big screen again. Have we? No. To alter Elle's line. "The word of Tarantino is worth less then nothing". May have been on one of the old scripts that it was to be in black and white, but as you may very well know, scripts go through many rewrites.

Filming it I'm going to go out on a limb and say that QT was on the fence. If he wanted to make it in black and white he would have used different materials to bring out the blood in black and white. As it stands having the color stripped makes it look like water.

Now have you've seen the Color version? if you had then you would notice that A LOT of little segments were cut out. It flows so much more easier then the b&w. So it isn't just a matter of the color being stripped, it's a matter of the clips that were removed before ratings (removed by QT before even submitting it). He knew what they would buy and what they wouldn't and was working around it.

So please take your end of story and place a "...... ?" cause this is an open matter which no one draft of an early script can prove in concrete that it was ment to be that way. Especially when it was filmed another way entirely.

Also, if it was ment to be that one way then why the hell would he make it a matter to say that when it's recut into one film that it will be the color fight scene that makes the grade in a non-rated version. Des isn't always right. Hell he's hardly ever made any sense, but he has it on the noise here. The guy knew his limits and planed in advance what he would be able to get away with and what he would eventually be able to do.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 04-20-04 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-20-04, 10:27 PM

I don't think we can definitively say one or the other is his true vision or one or the other is not. I am positive, however, that none of us knows Tarantino's thought process regarding the MPAA while he was writing the screenplay.
Old 04-20-04, 10:28 PM

I don't think we can definitively say one or the other is his true vision or one or the other is not. I am positive, however, that none of us knows Tarantino's thought process regarding the MPAA while he was writing the screenplay.
I do so ner i have insider info
Old 04-20-04, 10:31 PM
Banned by request

I asked Tarantino at a Q&A for Vol. 1 whether the sequence was meant to be black and white from the get-go, or whether it was made that way for the MPAA. His words: "It was meant to be black and white from the beginning, for the MPAA." He then went on to say he knew the sequence in color would have given the movie an NC-17 and so he never even showed the MPAA the color sequence, and always intended it to be black and white IN AMERICA. Does that help anybody here?
Old 04-20-04, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by Suprmallet
I asked Tarantino at a Q&A for Vol. 1 whether the sequence was meant to be black and white from the get-go, or whether it was made that way for the MPAA. His words: "It was meant to be black and white from the beginning, for the MPAA." He then went on to say he knew the sequence in color would have given the movie an NC-17 and so he never even showed the MPAA the color sequence, and always intended it to be black and white IN AMERICA. Does that help anybody here?
that's exactly what i have been saying!

If the MPAA was taken out of the equation, he would prefer it in color aka Asian version but it couldn't be so her scripted it in Black and white from the start IN AMERICA as you said
Old 04-20-04, 10:35 PM

It seems as if he always intended it to be black and white everywhere but in Japan and Hong Kong.
Old 04-20-04, 10:40 PM

It seems as if he always intended it to be black and white everywhere but in Japan and Hong Kong.
Yes because of the MPAA, no other reason ! not Tarantino's preference
Old 04-20-04, 10:43 PM

so do you think the only two places in the world that he could release the full color version are Japan and Hong Kong?
Old 04-20-04, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well from what I read in mallets words is what Des was saying (sure the rock ape doesn't make much sense many times, but he's still my mate) QT wrote it that way with the intention that it will fly with the MPAA.

He didn't film it with the intent to always keep it in B&W or else he would have done many things different so that the blood would actually pick up in B&W then the way it eventually did (as many have noted. it looked like water) It's more then simply stripping the color.

If he was going to keep with that mentality of keeping it B&W everywhere but asian markets then he wouldnt now want to change it and have the merged vol 1+2 include the color fight scene.

Now, the main reason he would have released it in colour in those countries off the bat. He loves the culture so it's a bonus for them off the bat. Gives them something special but later on will make that exculsive for everyone else to have access to it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.