DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Terminal (Spielberg, Hanks) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/358950-terminal-spielberg-hanks.html)

Verbal Gorilla 04-21-04 05:43 PM

They should have used this guy:

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/7885/borat_pic.jpg

"Catherine Zeta-Jones, wow-wow-wee-wow!!"

Dr. DVD 04-21-04 06:07 PM

This movie looks like another one of Hanks' romantic comedies with CZJ filling Meg Ryan's role. This might have been a better offer at Christmas time. I'll still see it though, as I am a Spielberg completist.

theneobez 04-21-04 06:19 PM

they should have kept him Iranian *is iranian*

dcprules 04-22-04 01:04 AM

When I was first at the site, I only saw the tv spot and was only moderately interested (mostly because it was a Hanks and Speilberg affair) but now that I noticed the actual theatrical trailer is up and watching it, I'm definitely looking forward to it. It looks like a nice light and enjoyable romp, which is perfect for the summer movie season. The scene at the end of the trailer with the guy in the bathroom was really funny.

metaridley 04-22-04 01:45 AM

I thought this was going to be a drama, so the romantic comedy angle really threw me for a loop after watching the trailer. I am a big Speilberg fan, so I will definitely see this. And Tom Hanks is always great. But I am not looking forward to it as much as I was, because if the trailer is any indication of this movie's style and tone, I am not going to be satisfied with it.

We'll see, though.

digitalfreaknyc 04-22-04 09:28 AM

I'm a huge Spielberg fan...and I like Tom Hanks...but I haven't liked any of his latest films.

AI...CMIYC...MR...all sucked in my opinion. This one ain't lookin' too hot either. I don't know what he's doing lately.

Pants 04-22-04 12:14 PM

Originally posted by Playitagainsam
Very sad!

I'm afraid a Spielberg treatment will only schtick and trivialize the subject.

Here's the story of the real guy.

Fascinating. I think it's pretty clear from what I've seen of the film that it will be filled with pathos. It may have some comedy but I think it will use comedy to explore some issues of modern existance that are clearly evident in this guys story.

QuikSilver 04-22-04 03:54 PM

This movie looks interesting. Will probably watch this at the theater. When does it come out? Thanks.

JBurns24 04-23-04 02:07 AM

Originally posted by QuikSilver
This movie looks interesting. Will probably watch this at the theater. When does it come out? Thanks.
June 18th

j123vt_99 04-23-04 08:40 AM

come on.. a guy living in a terminal hooking up with Zeta-Jones? I'm all for romantic movies, but let's keep them remotely realistic

RyoHazuki 04-27-04 12:21 AM

New Trailer

http://moviemaze.de/media/trailer/1290.html

jough 04-27-04 11:35 AM

Well, if Spielberg can make a stupid romantic comedy out of this man's tragic life, he'd better shut the **** up when someone makes a Holocaust comedy.

Pants 04-27-04 12:26 PM

Originally posted by jough
Well, if Spielberg can make a stupid romantic comedy out of this man's tragic life, he'd better shut the **** up when someone makes a Holocaust comedy.
People have and he didn't make a peep. What's your point?

jough 04-27-04 12:36 PM

My point is that Spielberg is VERY vocal about what he doesn't like other directors doing in films, and here he is turning a man's tragedy into a romantic comedy.

Now, I know no one ever said that Spielberg *isn't* a hypocrite, but this film strikes me as moderately offensive - I'll have to see it to see just how offensive (artistically) it is.

fumanstan 04-27-04 02:15 PM

Looks interesting to me. The content really doesn't bother me after reading about the man the movie seems to *loosely* be based on.

JBurns24 04-27-04 10:37 PM

Do you really think that this man's story is in any way even comparable to the holocaust? Me? I'd rather be stuck in an airport for 10 years than be persecuted for my beliefs under the fear of death every day of my life.

jough 04-28-04 09:51 AM

I'm just wondering out loud why Spielberg is making a film about a<s>n Arab</s> Persian immigrant and turning his tragic situation into a comic farce. Is it Spielberg's intention to dehumanize this man? Why?

My point was that if the man was a Jew instead of a Muslim that Spielberg would never even CONSIDER making the film a comedy. But because he is The Other then he is open to ridicule.

Pants 04-28-04 11:10 AM

My point is that Spielberg is VERY vocal about what he doesn't like other directors doing in films
Really? :hscratch:

Can you give an example of this?

And did you ever consider that the trailer isn't representative of the film. I have a feeling this will be a Tati-esque comedy that makes observations about the isolating condition of everyday life...only the trailer is making it look slapstick and dumb.

But maybe I'll be proven wrong.

DIVX Rulz 04-28-04 12:48 PM

isn't this a remake of some jean reno moive called Jet Lag from 2002? If it is, then it sounds like hollywood is just remaking a successful foreign movie, they've done it before they'll do it again. I doubt if Speilberg is trying to make some politial statement or mock the real guy... besides comedies are tragedies plus time... maybe its too soon for some of you... as for me I'm sure I'll see it.

jough 04-28-04 03:39 PM

I will see the film before passing final judgement, of course, but after all, this thread is discussing only the teaser trailer.

Pants 04-29-04 11:20 AM

So jough: When has Spielberg been vocal about what he doesn't like other directors doing in films?

MrN 04-29-04 12:22 PM

Originally posted by DIVX Rulz
isn't this a remake of some jean reno moive called Jet Lag from 2002?
Jet Lag is about two people waiting because of a flight delay. This film takes place over a much longer time period.

shoppingbear 04-29-04 02:33 PM

I'm just wondering out loud why Spielberg is making a film about a<s>n Arab</s> Persian immigrant and turning his tragic situation into a comic farce. Is it Spielberg's intention to dehumanize this man? Why?

My point was that if the man was a Jew instead of a Muslim that Spielberg would never even CONSIDER making the film a comedy. But because he is The Other then he is open to ridicule.

Ooops, sounds like someone is trying to see a Conspiracy here... :rolleyes: What the heck is "The Other"?? Jews have been the subject of humor in film before, how do YOU know what Spielberg has or hasn't considered??

What about "Life is Beautiful", if I recall Spielberg and EVERYONE else was in praise about that, and it was a comedy set IN a concentration camp?

jough 04-29-04 02:55 PM

Life is Beautiful was not making fun of the Jews, though. The Terminal (or at least, the trailers for the film) seem to be laughing AT Hanks's character, not with him.

It's not a conspiracy, since it involves only one man (Spielberg), but I find it appalling to make fun of someone's tragedy. Spielberg said that Gibson's "The Passion" was anti-semetic before he had seen it, and made reference to anti-Jewish sentiments in film at a talk he gave a few months ago.

Now he's making a film with anti-Iranian sentiments, and is trying to get around his detractors by making Hanks a refugee from a fictional foreign country, so as to not potentially offend anyone.

The problem is, the story's based on the life of a REAL man, from a REAL country.

Pants 04-29-04 07:03 PM

And you still didn't answer my question.