Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Matrix Revolutions: Does it suck as much as I've heard?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-04, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Suprmallet
I don't want to start a LOTR vs. Matrix debate, but since we're talking about something that can be quantified (technical achievement), I would have to say that there were far more factors that went into most shots in The Lord of the Rings than in Revolutions. I mean, taking into account matters of scale, CGI vs. real actors, backdrops and real locations, etc., even a simple shot in The Lord of the Rings was incredibly complicated.

Now, I'm not trying to say that the effects in Reloaded and Revolutions aren't impressive, because they are. However, when they would do the slow-mo stuff in the Neo/Smith fights, it was quite easy to tell when they were using CGI versus when they weren't. It wasn't very seamless at all. The first movie didn't have that problem, the second two do.
When I say technically impressive, I'm putting most of the emphasis on CGI. That said, you mention CGI actors as one of the problems of Reloaded/Revolutions. Of course, we haven't gotten to the point where human CGI actors are completely believable, but CGI Neo and Smith looked far better than the CGI humans in LOTR. There were some horrible shots of CG Legolas that were far worse than the most awkward shots of Neo and Smith. The Superpunch in Revolutions achieved incredibly believable, photorealisitic detail with CG humans, which is a lot harder to pull off than CG creatures like Gollum.

I also think Revolutions and Reloaded did a better job at compositing shots. Actors blended in better with bluescreen backgrounds in Revolutions (I noticed more seem lines in LOTR than Matrix). The shot of Morpheus slicing the Escalade is also seamless. In terms of scale, Reloaded/Revolutions had larger and more complex virtual environments than LOTR. A single APU was more complex than a fighter in a LOTR battle when you consider that when each APU fired its gun, code dictated muzzle flash, smoke, and casing ejection and trajectory. There's also parts of the Battle for Zion where unique damage to the environment had to be created to simulate bullets hitting concrete.

After watching all the extensive documentaries on visual effects for LOTR and reading up on articles for visual effects in Reloaded/Revolutions, I think the Matrix is, technically, far surperior. However, LOTR did a lot of pretty things and made a lot of pretty miniatures (the miniatures in LOTR definately beat the Matrix's miniatures), and Gollum was impressive for not looking like ass (most of the time).
Old 04-05-04, 07:32 PM

I think Revolutions is a better movie when you realize that it's just the second half of Reloaded. Viewing both of the Matrix sequels as one movie really makes it more impressive and enjoyable, at least to me.

In terms of stand-alone films, Revolutions beats out Reloaded.
Old 04-05-04, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by metaridley
I think Revolutions is a better movie when you realize that it's just the second half of Reloaded. Viewing both of the Matrix sequels as one movie really makes it more impressive and enjoyable, at least to me.

Agreed. The first third of Revolutions is really little more than a wrap-up of the Reloaded plotlines (i.e. Merovingian and co. ). If you look at the two as one big sequel to the first, then it is quite good. I must say that I think Reloaded ended to abruptly and Revolutions did likewise with its beginning.
Old 04-05-04, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by metaridley
That's what I thought upon my first viewing of Revolutions. But after watching Reloaded a few more times, I'd have to say that I disagree. Revolutions basically tossed out most of the philosophical elements to make a pure action movie. Although Reloaded focused too much on those issues at times, it did a much better job of keeping at least part (even if it's only an extremely small part) of the spirit of the first one.

But you were right that you have to look at the two as one movie, since they really are one movie.
Old 04-07-04, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will have to rent these to see if my perception of them will change. I hated reloaded when i saw it in cinema but I enjoyed Revolutions more (probably due my expections being very low after the 2nd one).

The acting was shocking, not since Starship troopers has there been so much wood on screen

In the cinema I saw it, most of the people were laughing hysterically at the scene where
Spoiler:
Trinity dies
, which is probably not what the filmmakers wanted
Old 04-07-04, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No it doesn't. It's the internet. People love to complain.
Old 04-07-04, 10:29 PM
Cool New Member

I have a Mitsubishi 55" HDTV and am not sure if there is a problem with my Revolutions DVD, TV, player, or some combination. All the DVDs I've typically seen have a title menu that allows scene selection, language, etc. My Revolutions DVD goes through what seems to be the title intro a few times, and then directly into the movie. I cannot get to the top, or even any menu at all.

The picture, although enhanced for 16x9, seems to be larger than my screen in than whenever I select subtitles, it seems like half of the bottom line is cut off. Has anyone else noticed this or is this behavior unusual?
Old 04-07-04, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Dazed

The acting was shocking, not since Starship troopers has there been so much wood on screen
You know, I've seen a lot of people rag on the acting in the sequels as being bad. Now, while I wouldn't call it horrible, I will admit that the films were never stellar acting achievements. But, was it really any different than the first film? I mean, these wooden performances were no different than they were in the first film, IMO, yet somehow there is supposedly a huge difference. Are opinions being skewed by the film, or am I just missing something? And was Trinity's death scene really that much cheesier than when she brought Neo back to life with a kiss in the first one?

I'm asking this seriously...I just don't see much of a difference acting wise between these films, nor do I think quality wise the difference is so large. I can understand story complaints (even though I don't agree) but on a dramatic level, Matrix has never been anything better than serviceable, imo. Save for Hugo Weaving...he's always been at the top of his game and did give a truly inspired and entertaining performance.
Old 04-07-04, 11:28 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
no it sucks even harder, serious
Old 04-08-04, 11:51 AM
Retired

I watched this for the first time last night, and quite enjoyed it. I really don't get what all the bitching is about. It's a good deal better than Reloaded IMO, and I didn't think Reloaded was a bad flick.
Old 04-08-04, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by jonpeters
Matrix: A-
M: Reloaded: B-
M: Revolutions: B+
Animatrix: B

Matrix: B
Reloaded: C-
Revolitons: D
Old 04-08-04, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by beefjerky
I like how everyone bashes the Matrix films for it's inane philosophy, but then complain at "plot holes" that can be explained with a little bit of thought and some already established philosophy.
All right, then. Explain to me the "people as energy" concept. Most absurd idea ever. You've got to put in a butt load more energy than you can get out.

And don't even get me started on the whole "kiss of the heroine brings the hero back from the dead" nonsense.
These are the same people who mock Revolutions because they think the depth of the philosophy stopped at MOBIL Ave being an anagram of LIMBO.
They are? Painting with a pretty broad brush there, aren't ya?
If you don't like to put a lot of thought into movies, and if reading up on a little philosophy and mythology and theology ain't your style, you're probably not going to like it.
Funniest. Quote. Ever.
Old 04-08-04, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jaeufraser
You know, I've seen a lot of people rag on the acting in the sequels as being bad. Now, while I wouldn't call it horrible, I will admit that the films were never stellar acting achievements. But, was it really any different than the first film? I mean, these wooden performances were no different than they were in the first film, IMO, yet somehow there is supposedly a huge difference. Are opinions being skewed by the film, or am I just missing something? And was Trinity's death scene really that much cheesier than when she brought Neo back to life with a kiss in the first one?

I'm asking this seriously...I just don't see much of a difference acting wise between these films, nor do I think quality wise the difference is so large. I can understand story complaints (even though I don't agree) but on a dramatic level, Matrix has never been anything better than serviceable, imo. Save for Hugo Weaving...he's always been at the top of his game and did give a truly inspired and entertaining performance.
Hugo Weaving was great. I also enjoyed the French guy whose name i cant remember. I think the reason i noticed the acting more is because I wasnt gripped by the story and was actually looking at my watch to see how much longer was left (during reloaded anyway).

Yes the first Matrix film was not an outstanding acting achievment and was very cheesy in parts, but these issues were overshadowed by an interesting story and great visuals.
Old 04-08-04, 05:42 PM

Hugo Weaving was great. I also enjoyed the French guy whose name i cant remember. I think the reason i noticed the acting more is because I wasnt gripped by the story and was actually looking at my watch to see how much longer was left (during reloaded anyway).

Yes the first Matrix film was not an outstanding acting achievment and was very cheesy in parts, but these issues were overshadowed by an interesting story and great visuals.
I agree with you there. I personally found the story in the sequels to be quite interesting, moreso than the original. But, the sequels are far more convoluted and less straightforward, at least storywise, which is what I like, but I imagine can turn off quite a few viewers.

But I was just commenting on the acting...most isn't really anything special, though you're right on the Merovingian also...he was delightfully entertaining also.
Old 04-08-04, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by polarbear
It was not that bad of a movie. As a previous poster stated they probably could have combined part 2 and 3 together. The battle scene in Revolutions is amazing, cg or not. To anyone who has seen it, who would want that job of ammo runner
Reloaded and Revolutions is one film for me, I mean bascially it's one film split in half, how can anyone be satisfied from a cliffhanger in reloaded, Revolutions belongs to reloaded and vise versa, I think if they released both films under the title of just Revolutions, one film in the summer, it would be a huge epic sequel to the firsT!!wow, you know the feeling, in that sense, it's a great trilogy, matrix 1 could stand alone, but reloaded and revolutions are split up, they don't have the luxury of being complete without seeing the previous films etc.
Old 04-08-04, 07:44 PM

In the cinema I saw it, most of the people were laughing hysterically at the scene where
Spoiler:
Trinity dies
, which is probably not what the filmmakers wanted
I was one of them!

Seriously, how long did that last? 20 minutes?
Old 04-08-04, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

no it sucks even harder, serious

Reloaded left me a little bumed, revolutions left me denying the existance of both.
Ditto on both comments.
Weak plot, shit from reloaded doesn’t get resolved, I stopped caring about the fate of the characters or the outcome about 30 minutes into the film.

Matrix: A
Reloaded: B-
Revolutions: F
Old 04-08-04, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Reloaded was the first film in many years that I was unable to get through. Beyond awful........
Old 04-09-04, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

And then some.

Reloaded: C
Revolutions: F

Last edited by inri222; 04-09-04 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-09-04, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Reloaded: B
Revolutions: C+
Animatrix: F

I am probably the only one who grades it this way
Old 04-09-04, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Didn't care for Animatrix eh?

I really wonder how Reloaded and Revolutions would have been reviewed if they were put out as one movie. Would the critics have been kinder or worse?

I would say worse. While I liked it, as one huge movie the argument that it is a sprawling mess of a movie could definitely be made.

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 04-09-04 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-09-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Reloaded: C+
Revolutions: C and it changed
Reloaded: D
Old 04-09-04, 04:51 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 935 Likes on 783 Posts
it's really not that bad. people are too critical. maybe it doesn't capture the magic like the first, but rarely do sequels. revolutions has some spectacular scenes and imagery and is leagues ahead than many movies.
Old 04-09-04, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

revolutions was horrible.. all the sappy love cleches were used in this one... i thought i was watching the newer star wars for a while and had to slap myself to get me out of the half-asleep slumber state i was in after about half the movie. I could care less about the charactes and could not connect with any of them.. the best moment of the movie was when it ended.
Old 04-09-04, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Reloaded: B
Revolutions: B+
Animatrix: B (only because there were a few i hated)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.