Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What is the best car chase ever?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What is the best car chase ever?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Suprmallet
French Connection, no contest.

right on!

You can't beat the Hackman/Freidken/brown chevy connection either

Last edited by shanester; 04-03-04 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-04-04, 03:11 AM
Suspended

Oh come on now - 25 replys and only ONE person mentions Raiders of the Lost Ark?!? You people should be ASHAMED of yourselves.

The Kung Fu truck battle in the Matrix was shot in slow motion compared to Indy vs the Nazis. And even better - every single shot was a real person hanging off a real truck going really fast. None of this "Oh look, I'm a computer generated Keanu Reeves doing Kung Fu in front of a blue screen" bull shit here.

Anyone who thinks otherwise need to have his face melted and head imploded by the power of god.
Old 04-04-04, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to go with Ronin, there is some excellent driving in that film and it is shot and directed beautifully.

And I have to echo some of what others have said: A good car chase should not have CGI. It just ruins it.
Old 04-04-04, 05:58 AM
Banned

Originally posted by El-Kabong
Oh come on now - 25 replys and only ONE person mentions Raiders of the Lost Ark?!? You people should be ASHAMED of yourselves.

The Kung Fu truck battle in the Matrix was shot in slow motion compared to Indy vs the Nazis. And even better - every single shot was a real person hanging off a real truck going really fast. None of this "Oh look, I'm a computer generated Keanu Reeves doing Kung Fu in front of a blue screen" bull shit here.

Anyone who thinks otherwise need to have his face melted and head imploded by the power of god.
I think otherwise...I consider the Matrix Reloaded Car Chase to be just a great action sequence...the fight between Morhpeus and Agent on the top of the truck is quite nice...and did you watch the whole movie because the beginning of the Burly Brawl is simply stunning and its all Keanu except for 2 high up in the air shots where its a stunt double...Keanu is taking on 2-8 guys at once...not one comes Keanu hits another comes Keanu hits...but 7 come and Keanu hits...that is without a doubt the best choreographed fight I have ever seen...and then of course the fight gets ridiculous (In a good way) and they become CG characters...but this always looked fantastic to me...and how else do you do those shots where its CG Neo and Agents? You cant!

Raiders though has the best chase ever filmed if you ask me...and yes I'm that one person who mentioned it...
Old 04-04-04, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Terminator 2
Old 04-04-04, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Suprmallet
French Connection, no contest.
Agreed.
Old 04-04-04, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

French Connection, then Ronin....and no the Matrix Reloaded scene should never be mentioned, ever, with those two.
Old 04-05-04, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
I would've added Raiders to my list but I consider it to be more of an actual action sequence than a strict car chase (Indy chases a truck and has adventures on and around it). I just assumed we wanted best car chase.
Old 04-05-04, 01:14 AM

French Connection
The Rock
Bad Boys 2
Gone in sixty seconds. cage remake. that shelby mustang was the sh!t!
Old 04-05-04, 08:50 AM

The Rock
Old 04-05-04, 09:06 AM
Banned

Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Old 04-05-04, 02:57 PM

Ronin
The Transporter
Italian Job
Bad Boys 2
Old 04-05-04, 04:23 PM
Banned

Ya know I just dont think The Rock has a good chase...theres too many terribly shot parts and many of the crashes and such just dont make sense...its no cohesive...
Old 04-05-04, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
In "Reloaded," isn't Niobe actually driving Steve McQueen's car from "Bullitt"? The Wachowskis must've thought their movie would get included in future Best Car Chase lists, thus the reason for them paying tribute to the granddaddy of them all.
Old 04-06-04, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by rennervision
In "Reloaded," isn't Niobe actually driving Steve McQueen's car from "Bullitt"?
nah she is in a 67-68 Firebird and he was in an errrr 67 mustang if I rem right.. Might have the years off by a few of course.. I owned a 68 Firebird once, great car! So many 67-69 Camaros out there that everyone is used to seeing them but not so many Firebirds.

anyways.. my vote for best would be ronin..

Hum.. I see the French Connection list alot and while it was insane to rip around the city like that, more so being it sounds like they did it sort of outlaw.. I never really thought it was that great of an over all car chase..

Don't get me wrong.. It's good, but something just seemed sort of empty about it Vs a good car vs car chase down..Like say Road Warrior or Mad Max.. Hum, maybe I saw it too late and after too many other filmes? It just seemed to me that it was some crazy guy late for his train, more then a car chase. Clearly more feel others wise so I must have just missed the vibe some how..

Maybe if it has been something I saw when the film first came out the case would have made more impact?

I go with Ronin as the best. Road Warrior as best with a truck.. errr and most over the top car cash to The Animal. hehe..

Last edited by DeadLamb; 04-06-04 at 04:22 AM.
Old 04-06-04, 04:28 AM

French Connection holds up. Or more accurately, I just saw it for the first time recently and even in my modern eyes I thought it had moments that allowed it to stack up with the best modern chases. A lot of 1st person perspective shots as Doyle is racing through the streets and some of his near misses are absolutely thrilling and would work in a modern film.

Though my personal favourite that I can watch again & again is the one in Mission Impossible 2. It's kind of unfair since the hero's on a bike, but he's doing things that have never been done on film before and a lot of the car flips and crashes are shot brilliantly.
Old 04-06-04, 09:33 AM

T2, Road Warrior