Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kill Bill: Volume 2 thoughts

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Kill Bill: Volume 2 thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-04, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Hell she could barley get out of her bed, yet she could still do those moves.
Technique vs. Physical strength.

You got to remember she is kind of a super woman - she managed to get her legs working after a 4 year coma in less than a day.
Old 04-18-04, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
The grave escape was believable to me considering if you know how magicians are able to accomplish it. Just as long as there isn't too much weight in the grave.

Originally posted by Phyre
Can anyone identify the Western?
The Golden Stallion.
Old 04-18-04, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by RichC2
Technique vs. Physical strength.

You got to remember she is kind of a super woman - she managed to get her legs working after a 4 year coma in less than a day.
Kind of a SuperMAN right? Killer in a human world!
Anyways, you're probably right. Just something I thought seemed out of focus.

I see a lot of people's opinions of there was too much filler and some who thought it could use more. I see that the movie is so interwoven with so many other aspects of the movie, that it'd be hard to cut anything out really. QT couldn't please everybody.
Old 04-18-04, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One other thing... Uma being buried alive. How was it possible she could dig her way out from under all that dirt? I mean, wouldn't the pressure from the dirt in the grave come rushing down to basically smother(if not smash) her? Wouldn't she be too deeply "packed in" under the rubble to fight her way up?
It's going under the assumption that they just tossed the dirt that they dug up back on her quickly. Using this idea there would ideally be some air pockets and the dirt would be sort of easier to plow through. The dirt coming into the newly busted open coffin would be sorta replacing or making a path for the dirt she is going through..

or I don't know. For some reason it seemed very hard to imagine but I bought it with no problem.
Old 04-18-04, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Using this idea there would ideally be some air pockets and the dirt would be sort of easier to plow through.
Yeah at first it didn't make total sense but I could buy it, going off the "world" this was taking place in. She knocked around the coffin looking for a weak spot, busted it open, the coffin collapses, dirt piles down, she gets out. They would have had to pat the dirt down to ensure otherwise and by the nifty sound effects, you can tell they didn't.
Old 04-18-04, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The dirt must've been pretty loose, since it she kept being sucked back down like quicksand when she was trying to pull out..
Old 04-18-04, 09:50 PM
Banned

just got back...thought it was weak. the movie is about 10% action, 90% talking. and most of the talking bored the shit out of me. the only scenes i liked a lot were pai me. overall i give it ** while i gave vol 1 ****.
Old 04-18-04, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by MACD23
just got back...thought it was weak. the movie is about 10% action, 90% talking. and most of the talking bored the shit out of me. the only scenes i liked a lot were pai me. overall i give it ** while i gave vol 1 ****.
This opinion seems pretty common among the people who disliked the film. I think the thing with Kill Bill is that people just didn't know what to expect. When vol 1 came out, everyone was expecting all the classic QT dialogue and characters, and what they got was mindless action - this threw people for a loop. Then when vol 2 came out, everyone was expecting more mindless action, and what they got was characters and dialogue - and once again they were thrown for a loop.

And on an unrelated note, has anyone seen the TV ad for the Kill Bill volume 1 DVD? I just saw it, and something the narrator said really confused me. He summarized the plot by saying, "Her cover has been blown. Her only option is to kill the man who set her up." Huh? Exactly what cover was blown, and how did Bill "set her up"? Is this just a lame way of making the plot sound as cliched and simple as possible to appeal to J6P?
Old 04-18-04, 10:07 PM
Banned

i could see this movie growing on me a bit with future viewings, but in no way would i rank it up there with vol 1. i expected it to fall short of vol 1, but i was not prepared for how slow vol 2 would be. the opening 1/2 hour was painful........ i thought i was starting to like it with the pai me and elle scenes, but then the ending sequence was especially dissapointing. i can't give it a good grade at this point. ** or C. vol 1 was **** A- for me.
Old 04-18-04, 10:07 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I love how you guys are speculating about the dirt on the grave, but nobody's said a word about the fact that Pai Mei was over 1000 years old!
Old 04-18-04, 10:14 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Groucho
I love how you guys are speculating about the dirt on the grave, but nobody's said a word about the fact that Pai Mei was over 1000 years old!
and stood on the end of an extened drawn sword balancing perfectly no less
Old 04-18-04, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by caiman
This opinion seems pretty common among the people who disliked the film. I think the thing with Kill Bill is that people just didn't know what to expect. When vol 1 came out, everyone was expecting all the classic QT dialogue and characters, and what they got was mindless action - this threw people for a loop.

Actually, no. Based on all the previews, clips and interviews for "V1", I did expect action. Mindless? No. Over the top? Yes. And I also expected the QT trademark dialogue. Which it had. "V2" was mostly just dialogue. And not very interesting at that (IMO). It just wasn't the usual QT fare.
Old 04-18-04, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
So did you have a favorite chapter?

Chapter 1: (2)
Chapter 2:The Blood-Splattered Bride
Chapter 3:The Origin of O-Ren Ishii
Chapter 4:The Man From Okinawa
Chapter 5:Showdown at the House of Blue Leaves
Chapter 6:Massacre at Two Pines
Chapter 7:The Lonely Grave of Paula Shultz
Chapter 8:The Cruel Tutleage of Pai Mei
Chapter 9:Elle and I
Chapter 10:Face to Face

My favorites would probably be in this order:

Chp 5
Chp 10
Chp 3
Chp 8
Chp 9
Chp 1
Chp 4
Chp 7
Chp 6
Chp 2
Old 04-18-04, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice idea.

Chp 5: House of Blue leaves
Chp 8: Pai Mei
Chp 4: Hattori Hanzo
Chp 9: Elle and I
Chp 10: Face to Face
Chp 7: Lonely Grave
Chp 3: Origin of O-Ren
Chp 1: Vernita Green
Chp 6: Massacre at 2 Pines
Chp 2: Blood splattered Bride
Old 04-18-04, 10:32 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Mondo Kane
So did you have a favorite chapter?

My favorites would probably be in this order:

Chp 5
Chp 10
Chp 3
Chp 8
Chp 9
Chp 1
Chp 4
Chp 7
Chp 6
Chp 2
great question.

ch 5
ch 3
ch 8
ch 4
ch 9
ch 1
ch 7
ch 2
ch 10
ch 6
Old 04-18-04, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My order:

Final
Old 04-18-04, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's is a great idea. Maybe it should be a seperate thread cause a lot of people will probably do this and it would be nice to eventually tally up the faves, without mucking up the regular discussion.

[quote]So did you have a favorite chapter?

[quote]

Old 04-18-04, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by matome
I was completely satisfied with the resolution of the Bill situation. I was also expecting some sort of "ultimate battle with the master," but in the end it was a nice little twist. For a while I even thought they may have lived happily efter after together, once the kid entered the picture. Wouldn't have been to happy about that.
I also thought this was a perfect resolution to those two characters. There was an intimate bond between the Bride and Bill. If they had another sword fight, that would have been unsatisfying. However, she killed him in the best and perhaps the only way she could: by breaking his heart. Only the closest and most intimate person to Bill could kill him, and only that person would be able to kill him in such a way. IF they had fought with swords, I think it would have been a draw anyway, so this was the more satisfying resolution. He let her in too close, and she broke his heart.
Old 04-18-04, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
does every thread turn into number listings? first punisher and now this.. CONVERSATION!!!! not listing.
Old 04-18-04, 10:50 PM
Banned

I also hate numbers. make a seperate thread!
Old 04-18-04, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK, i made a seperate thread and gave credit to Mondo Kane for the idea!
Old 04-19-04, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

hah, random trivia:
Okinawa is widely regarded as one of the worst possible places to get good sushi. In other words, a sushi joint in Okinawa would make a fine hiding place.
That's pretty amusing, I gotta say. So of course, no, Hanzo's sushi didn't get any better.
Old 04-19-04, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw it tonight and absolutely loved it, even more than Volume I, which was awesome. The Pai Mei chapter was very amusing, the battle with Elle was classic, and the face-off with Bill was much more than I anticipated. I don't have a single complaint with this film, it was essentially perfect to me. I will be seeing it again very soon, but I think this tops Pulp Fiction for me.
Probably 10 people walked out of the theater by the midpoint, and afterwards I heard a few people complaining "This one had no action like the first, they did nothing but talk".
Old 04-19-04, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,513 Posts
Originally posted by RichC2
hah, random trivia:

That's pretty amusing, I gotta say. So of course, no, Hanzo's sushi didn't get any better.
Hell, the place doesn't even let the customers place an order. Hanzo just serves whatever kind of sushi he wants.
Old 04-19-04, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally posted by caiman
And on an unrelated note, has anyone seen the TV ad for the Kill Bill volume 1 DVD? I just saw it, and something the narrator said really confused me. He summarized the plot by saying, "Her cover has been blown. Her only option is to kill the man who set her up." Huh? Exactly what cover was blown, and how did Bill "set her up"? Is this just a lame way of making the plot sound as cliched and simple as possible to appeal to J6P?
There's another one that refers to her as an "agent".

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.