Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

My brief Hellboy review

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

My brief Hellboy review

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-04, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My brief Hellboy review

I went to an advance screening of the movie on Tuesday night. I expected most of the audience to be fans of the comics, but there were a number of people (i.e. most of the audience, in fact) that hadn't been exposed to the comics, which surprised me. I've been looking forward to the movie for some time, being a fan of the comics, and Mike Mignola (Hellboy's creator) in general.

To make a long story short, I think Hellboy is one of the best action comic translations to date; I'd say it's easily as good as X2 or Spider-Man (although I like the character more, so I actually enjoyed it a smidgen more than either of those movies). It's no Ghost World, but you don't go to a movie like Hellboy expecting it to be

I had a few problems with minor points that could use explanation, and a somewhat unfulfilling ending, but other than that, I was very pleased with it--I was worried that the one-liners that were tossed off in the trailer would come across as cheesy or forced, but they are perfectly in character (as in the comics); Ron Perlman IS Hellboy, and is fantastic. John Hurt and Jeffrey Tambor also give great performances. I initially had problems with Selma Blair's portrayal, but by the end, warmed up to her character (no pun intended). She came across as a little disconnected at first (her character is quite damaged emotionally, however), and I took it as just a less-than inspired performance. I knew what was expected of her, but the first few lines still came across as a little wooden.

My little brother went as well, and although he hadn't been exposed to the comics, he enjoyed it as well (something that's obviously going to be crucial to the film's success or failure). He took issue with some of the pacing and the lack of explanation about one rather key thing (which I'll put in spoiler tags below), but overall, enjoyed the movie a lot. The audience seemed to get into it, laughing at the appropriate moments and gasping when they should. I didn't hear anyone grumbling as we left the theater, which is always a good sign (I typically catch at least a few people who didn't like the movie as I leave).

Definitely go check this movie out; I know the trailers made it look like an X-Men knockoff (or, god forbid, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen), but it really is a great action movie; the action sequences are frequent and well-choreographed, and the humor doesn't come off as forced as it would be in the hands of a less talented director (be forewarned that there is a lot of levity in the movie, mostly in the form of Hellboy's one-liners ... but this is in keeping with the tone of the character and the comics). I think GDT and company also got away with a LOT for a PG-13 movie, mostly in the form of security guard / miscellaneous authority figures being mauled, and a bit of "alien gore" for lack of a better description, so bringing small kids might be questionable, although a well-balanced 8 or 10 year old would revel in the carnage, I would think.

SPOILERS:
Spoiler:
My brother did not understand Hellboy's role as the key to the Apocalypse, and did not feel that it was appropriately explained. Throughout the books, however, Hellboy isn't even aware of his role in this, and as he finds out, so does the reader. Similarly, Rasputin explains that Hellboy is the key to "opening the door" to the Seven Ancient Elder Gods, or something to that effect, and that his stone hand is the key. I felt that this was ample explanation (as that's pretty much all you ever get in the first story arc), but he didn't catch it or didn't think it was fulfilling.

I had problems with Guillermo killing off John Hurt's character (Broom, or Bruttenholm, as he's known in the comics); I didn't think it was necessary, but it was a fairly intense scene.

I was unsure about what exactly came out of Rasputin at the end of the movie; he says that every time he was resurrected, he brought a little more with him over from "the other side," as they constantly referred to it as. This is confusing, because "the other side," at least in the movie, seems to only consist of the elder Gods, who are frozen in space (or somewhere). The ending was also a bit brief, although I think if it went on any longer, it would have been ridiculous, and I personally was glad that it was as short as it was ... I just wish some of the previous fights had been stretched out more (particularly Hellboy's fight with Kroenen).

The traps that are set underneath the cemetary are never explained (i.e. who set them), but I think the viewer is just supposed to assume that Kroenen and Rasputin set the traps in advance. Some of the machinery is immense, though, and I think this could have used a little illumination (even just one or two lines from their other-worldly guide).

Finally, I'm not sure why Ilsa didn't age at all :P She looked the same in 1944 as she did today. Kroenen and Rasputin have excuses; she doesn't!
Old 04-01-04, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm really looking forward to this one - Guillermo del Toro is one of my favorite directors, and it will be interesting to see him reunited with Ron Perlman, who was in his earliest film Cronos.
Old 04-01-04, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
must watch that movie this weekend.
Old 04-01-04, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Spoiler:
Finally, I'm not sure why Ilsa didn't age at all :P She looked the same in 1944 as she did today. Kroenen and Rasputin have excuses; she doesn't!
Spoiler:
The reason given was the long life given to her. That was enough for me.

I enjoyed hellboy both times I have seen it so far. I'm even thinking of going to see it again on friday. Been a reader of the comics and it was a good translation. I already knew a lot could not be transfered without some major issues coming up, but the blend that del toro tossed in of his own style mixed with MM's was really good.

As for box office numbers. I'm not expecting it to do great. The marketing looks like part of X2 and part of LXG. Especially without it being a mainstream comic book and without a big named star at the helm it's not looking for a blockbuster type of return.
Old 04-01-04, 10:30 AM

I hope to be surprised by Hellboy's box office ... Blade was a similar situation, and it did just fine (and Hellboy is way better than Blade or Blade 2)
Old 04-01-04, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't been watching TV much, is this getting a lot of promotion? Is there much buzz among the general public? CHUD.com has been covering this very heavily and since I visit there regularly I don't trust my radar on this.
Old 04-01-04, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The difference between Hellboy and Blade is that Blade had a relatively big name as the star (Wesley Snipes).

I'd be surprised if Hellboy did more than $100mil domestic.
Old 04-01-04, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know Im looking forward to seeing it. I like when they do less mainstream comics, and altough LXG was disappointing, I think this will be better. I have to say this is one of the few comics I havent read so I dont know alot of the background or have anything to compare it to. Still looking forward to it, gives me hope that the Hellblazer movie (constantine) will be good (although with Keanu Reeves as Constantine I just dont know), and that a Transmet movie may be down the line.
Old 04-01-04, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by the aftermath
The difference between Hellboy and Blade is that Blade had a relatively big name as the star (Wesley Snipes).

I'd be surprised if Hellboy did more than $100mil domestic.
But if Hellboy pulls in 100 mil domestic I think it would be considered a hell of a success. I think expectations on this are more in line with Blade and Blade 2 than Spiderman and X2. Blade 2 was considered a hell of a success with only a 80-90 mil domestic gross, so if this passes a hundred, I imagine it would be great and would pave the way to Hellboy 2. I mean, the budgets are almost equal to Blade 2, and so on.
Old 04-01-04, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think reviews help a movie a lot nowadays (in the world of the internet). People pay attention to reviews and word of mouth. This film has been getting pretty good early reviews and word of mouth. The trailers will certainly appeal to their core audience (fans of the comic and 13-25 year olds).

I think the movie has a good chance of making good money, but I don't expect it to do as well as X-men or Spiderman.
Old 04-01-04, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well I remember when DVDTalk posters raved about the Hulk so I'll check this out with low expectations.
Old 04-01-04, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
ugh.. who said that? I would like to put them on the ignore list.
Old 04-01-04, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
While I am glad to see Hellboy is faithful to the comic, I honestly feel this is one case where being faithful will boost it's appeal as not many mainstreamers are familiar with the comic. Afterall, it is a cult following at best.

That said, I hope to see this sometime this weekend.
Old 04-01-04, 08:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: My brief Hellboy review

Originally posted by profbobo
Spoiler:
I had problems with Guillermo killing off John Hurt's character (Broom, or Bruttenholm, as he's known in the comics); I didn't think it was necessary, but it was a fairly intense scene.
Spoiler:
I disagree, I think it was absolutely necessary. Bruttenholm was dying anyway, Hellboy was going to have to deal with his death, anyway. This raised the stakes, made it more personal to Hellboy.

Spoiler:
The ending was also a bit brief, although I think if it went on any longer, it would have been ridiculous, and I personally was glad that it was as short as it was ... I just wish some of the previous fights had been stretched out more (particularly Hellboy's fight with Kroenen).
When I first saw it, I agreed with you, but on second viewing, I think the final battle is just long enough. That might be a personal preference, or who knows what, but I got more out of it the second time.

Spoiler:
The traps that are set underneath the cemetary are never explained (i.e. who set them), but I think the viewer is just supposed to assume that Kroenen and Rasputin set the traps in advance. Some of the machinery is immense, though, and I think this could have used a little illumination (even just one or two lines from their other-worldly guide).
Don't forget that this has been Rasputin's base of operation since he died and came back in the late 1800's. I'm sure those traps had been there since then, and weren't just a recent addition.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
At the beginning we see Rasputin granting her long life to serve his will. And, while we don't see it, I presume he gives it to Kroenen as well. If you recall, when Bruttenholm inspects Kroenen at BPRD, he says, "What will kept this hideos thing alive?" He also later refers to Kroenen as Rasputin's "puppet." These things to me suggest that it's Rasputin's power keeping Kroenen alive, just like he's keeping Ilsa.

I loved The Hulk, and I think Hellboy is the best comic book movie since The Hulk, and on par with Spider-Man. I liked it more than both X-Men films. I've seen it twice already and I'm definitely seeing it tomorrow after work.

Last edited by Supermallet; 04-01-04 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-01-04, 10:26 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
It's 76% (29 Fresh and 9 Rotten) right now at Rotten Tomatoes.

I will be seeing this movie this weekend.
Old 04-01-04, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm glad the reviews are fresh right now.
Old 04-01-04, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: My brief Hellboy review

Originally posted by Suprmallet

I loved The Hulk, and I think Hellboy is the best comic book movie since The Hulk, and on par with Spider-Man. I liked it more than both X-Men films. I've seen it twice already and I'm definitely seeing it tomorrow after work.
Now I think I should stay very far away from this movie.
Old 04-01-04, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Don't trust him, he's crazy. This is totally different from the hulk. Totally different as in.. It doesn't suck.
Old 04-01-04, 11:07 PM

Yeah, because what other people say is clearly more important than what YOU think about a movie.
Old 04-01-04, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 04-01-04, 11:19 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/02/mo...ner=ALTAVISTA1

Glowing review from the Times My paper of choice, natch ... I missed Janet Maslin when she left, but Elvis Mitchell is doing a great job.

Edit: Jack, above comment was directed at PopcornTreeCt You just posted before I did ...
Old 04-01-04, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Elvis Mitchell does a fine job on The Treatment

The thing I liked most about Hellboy was the way Perlman takes hellboy and brings him to life so perfectly. It mixes a good blend of comic book and reality to boost out something that is true to it's roots and works in reality. Simply loved it. Picked up a hellboy figure today.
Old 04-01-04, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Elvis Mitchell does a fine job on The Treatment

The thing I liked most about Hellboy was the way Perlman takes hellboy and brings him to life so perfectly. It mixes a good blend of comic book and reality to boost out something that is true to it's roots and works in reality. Simply loved it. Picked up a hellboy figure today.
You're lucky to have found one ... they're almost impossible to find here; I had a hell of a time getting the ones I have, and I know plenty of people who haven't even seen them.

I've gotten the black suit and trenchcoated Hellboys, Sammel, and an 18" figure from Tower (comes with full horns and "battle damage" ... very impressive looking figure).

I've got pics online:

http://www.messikan.com/gallery/hellboy
http://www.messikan.com/gallery/toys?page=10
http://www.messikan.com/gallery/toys?page=11

I loves me some toys
Old 04-02-04, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The tower here had like 5 or 6 Horned hellboy exclusive 18''. Not my bag so I passed.

They really did go happy with the previews exclusive stickers in the shipments. I saw plenty of Regular abe's and regular black shirt hellboys with the previews exclusive on them.
Old 04-02-04, 12:18 AM

I love the 18" Hellboy ... I find myself carrying it around the house with me when I go to watch television or fix a sandwich :P

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.