Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Alexander Payne's Sideways

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Alexander Payne's Sideways

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-05, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I want to agree with the original article. Because I didn't like Sideways for a few of the same reasons. Kinda surprised all DVD Talkers think the same way. To address what Jack said about appealing to men, well that's fine for commercials, magazine ads and the such but movies shouldn't be that way. But it is one of the reasons why the movie is so popular. I didn't care for it because I'm not old and overweight and don't ever see myself being that way. Of course, talking bad about Sideways is like talking bad about Lord of the Rings. So, I'll end it there.
Old 04-04-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Song during Sideways Trailer?

Not sure if this should go under music or moderators feel free to move, but what song is that playing during the Sideways movie trailer?
Old 04-04-05, 06:43 PM

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,213 Posts
Give me a link and I'll give you a name.
Old 04-04-05, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.cinema.com/films/8904/sid...trailers.phtml

It starts about half way through the trailer, when it the words come up and say "One mans vacation" thats when the song starts. Sounds like an older song but I swear someone did a remake.
Old 04-04-05, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Every Day Should Be A Holiday - Dandy Warhols
No Rain - Blind Melon
Old 04-04-05, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thank you
Old 04-07-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Watched this last night and also thought it was an excellent film. Probably my favorite of the last year. Got started on it fairly late at night with the intent to only watch half of it and finish the rest the next night. I didn't think twice about staying up late on a weeknight to finish it.

As far as the characters, I think they were true to life in the context that we saw them. In fact, Church's character reminds me a lot of one of my college roommates that I are still close friends. He's not an actor but has a way with the ladies and has that Joey from Friends type of mentality. He married a wonderful woman but cheated on her all through their engagement (but has been faithful since as far as I know). He knew what he was doing was wrong, but couldn't seem to stop himself from taking that one last taste of strange. The kicker on this story is that our other roommate was his wife's brother. He didn't approve of the cheating but told him that they were friends first and in-laws 2nd (though he said if he cheats after they are married he would kill him).

Anyway, all of that was just to say that I likely related to this movie which helped my enjoyment of it. I am quite a bit younger than these guys are but still understand what they are going through. Agree that it is unlikely that these guys would be friends in real life, but who knows. Obviously Miles was a smart guy with some good qualities that has hit some hard times. I could see him being a different person in college and that is where the friendship grew. The fact that it was in wine country and that they play some golf is just the backdrop to what is going on with the characters and is really not that important. I would guess those who said they don't want to watch a movie about wine and golf actually did miss the meat of this film. This movie was not at all about wine and golf. It was about 2 middle-aged men trying to make sense of their lives and how they deal with major life changes/obstacles.

This film had the right mix of comedy and drama and always seemed to do something at the right time to keep you off balance or add a laugh. I could see why people think it is a touch long, but I think it was near perfection in style and length. I highly recommend this film.
Old 04-07-05, 10:13 AM

Received 112 Likes on 91 Posts
Ketamine - glad to hear you liked it. I've been telling everyone to watch it as it was my favorite movie of last year.
Old 04-07-05, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 222 Likes on 171 Posts
Saw it again myself after buying the DVD. Still think it's a good movie, and it definitely grows on you to become better with each viewing.

Shame it didn't get more awards, but I always hold the screenplay awards in the highest regard, so it won where it matters.
Old 04-08-05, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just saw this tonight on DVD. I can't believe I didnt' catch this in the theaters! It was definitely a great trip, one in which the journey was as enjoyable as the destination. And what a destination it was!