Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

X-Files 2 on the way!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

X-Files 2 on the way!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-04, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X-Files 2 on the way!

TAKEN FROM DARK HORIZONS.COM:

While promoting his comedic turn in the upcoming "Connie and Carla", our LA correspondent on the ground Paul Fischer asked co-star David Duchovny whether the much-rumoured "X-Files" movie is likely to happen, and to everyone's surprise, he gave a resoundingly positive response.

"It's definiely happening", the actor said. "Chris has a great idea for the new movie and I expect we'll be able to begin shooting in the next year or so."

Asked whether he expects Mulder to develop in the film, the actor said "I hope not. I was really fighting against that in the final years of the show and I think the whole point. I think we're going to be introducing a new character in the film which will allow us to cast a major star, male or female, who will want to be part of an exciting supernatural thriller. I think the new movie will appeal to both our core fans and a broad audience. I'm very excited about it."
Old 03-29-04, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in hopes that the film ignores the final seasons and continues from before all that.
Old 03-29-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What do they mean by "develop in the film"? Is he saying Mulder won't appear in the film?
Old 03-29-04, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I assume that ment that he will be what he is known best as Mulder, a flat one sided character which works best for him with no character development.
Old 03-29-04, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's been, what, 6 years since the first X-files movie?

Assuming that shooting begins in the next year or so, that means the movie won't be released for another two years.

When the first X-files movie came out, the series was riding it's highest crest in popularity. Eventually, I think it did something like $80 million, domestic.

The X-Files ended two years ago, to less than stellar ratings.

The picture I'm trying to paint is thus: I'm not sure that the interest will be there, when and if this thing ever does get off the ground. Sure, you've got your hard-core, rabid fans who'll eat this up (I'll throw myself into that boat).

But the real question is: given that the first film made about $80 million at or near the height of its popularity, what sort of box office prospects would a sequel hold in 2006, given the amount of time lapsed between the movies and the end of the series?

I'll be surprised if this actually pans out.
Old 03-29-04, 04:36 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

"an exciting supernatural thriller"

If they can actually make the above statement, the box office will follow.

I think Fox is talking them down a bit in terms of budget too.
Old 03-29-04, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bardevious makes a good point, but I think the fanbase is still strong enough and broad enough to make a sequel a success. The first X-Files film wasn't even as big as Fox hoped; it had two big weekends, then it dropped very, very fast, suggesting that the only people watching were fans anyway, and they had all gone to see it in the first two weekends. A similar problem is evident with runs of Star Trek and Kevin Smith films.

The fanbase still exists, though, and I'm sure the fans would welcome a new film. After all, I don't see Fox lowering those season set prices to bargain level, do you?
Old 03-29-04, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I assume that ment that he will be what he is known best as Mulder, a flat one sided character which works best for him with no character development.
Either you're joking or you've never seen the show.
Old 03-29-04, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Either you're joking or you've never seen the show.
Actually, I'm a big fan, own all the season sets and still watch it when it's on reruns. Mulder's character was always one sided. He never went through any change and it worked. He was never one character to change. Scully's arch went from the doubter to the believer. Mulder was always the believer. His character never went through any sort of arc. He was always the man looking for the truth and it fitted him well.
Old 03-29-04, 08:15 PM

I think if they make a good movie that anyone could enjoy (like they were going for and succeeded at in the first one), it will be as successful as the last movie, I just hope that it has nothing to do with the last couple seasons specifically I hope Annabeth Gish and Robert Patrick's characters aren't in it, personally I can't wait, I am a big fan as well
Old 03-29-04, 09:16 PM
Banned

WOOT! We need more X-Files!
Old 03-29-04, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As long as they realize that there are no mountains near Dallas, TX.
Old 03-29-04, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I think they could pull in the more casual fans, and even non-fans, if they stay clear of the heavy conspiracy aspect. If they make it a stand-alone story, with a smaller budget, I think it could work.

At least I hope it works.
Old 03-29-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That would be sweet. I always enjoyed the monster episodes more then the conspiracy theory heavy ones.
Old 03-29-04, 11:27 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, my first thought when I read the title of this thread was:

But then I started thinking, Paramount resurrected Star Trek a decade after it went off the air and since then it has become one of the largest entertainment franchises in the world. And The X-Files has a leg up on Star Trek in that it already has a huge fanbase. So, as someone else said, if this has a good story that has nothing to do with running storylines taken from the show, it could be excellent and do a good amount of business.
Old 03-30-04, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This news made my day A huge fan of the show, I can't wait for this to come out. Plus, the first X-Files movie was great. I hope they have Doggett in it (I really enjoyed him on the show). Thanks for the update.
Old 03-30-04, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
According to the new TV GUIDE, Gillian Anderson has moved to London and is committed to a stage play for the time being - so they'll need to wait for her schedule to free up before any new X-FILES movie is made.

Off topic, but if you get a chance to see the new TV GUIDE, check out the new picture of Gillian...she's a BLONDE now!
Old 03-30-04, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Suprmallet
But then I started thinking, Paramount resurrected Star Trek a decade after it went off the air and since then it has become one of the largest entertainment franchises in the world. And The X-Files has a leg up on Star Trek in that it already has a huge fanbase.
The difference is: Trek was making a killing in syndication and was more popular off-the-air then when it was on, the same can't be said for X-Files. I would also argue the fanbase of Trek in the '70's was bigger and more vocal than what X-Files has now.
Old 03-30-04, 12:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Chew
The difference is: Trek was making a killing in syndication and was more popular off-the-air then when it was on, the same can't be said for X-Files. I would also argue the fanbase of Trek in the '70's was bigger and more vocal than what X-Files has now.
Yeah, but I think the Fox marketing machine can get all the old fans to come out of the woodwork, if the movie really is good.
Old 03-30-04, 12:53 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I suspect this movie could be much better than the last, seeing as they no longer have to worry about making it fit with the tv show season/conspiracy. Fight the Future basically just felt like a typical 2-part season opener, albeit with a huge budgetary leap.

I would love a standalone monster story, set somewhere in the classic 3rd/4th season before all the nonsense that burdened the characters later in the show.
Old 03-30-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I'd love to see Morgan and Wong write the script. They made the best episodes.
Old 03-30-04, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well as an X-files fan who hasn't watched the last few seasons, I didn't even tune in for the finale, I'd see this opening day. I hope they make more than just one X-Files film. This universe is pretty interesting, and I love the Mulder and Scully characters, and the way they interact, I'm totally ready to spend a few hours in that environment again.

Also, I think it's wise they waited a few years since the end of the show to get a movie out, a lot of fans had tuned out, and the stories weren't very interesting. Now that a few years have passed the fans can look back at the X-files and remember how good it was, and start to miss it, no matter how much of a sour taste the show may have ended on. The movie certainly has potential to bring in some nice coinage.
Old 03-30-04, 07:11 PM
Banned

I'll be there to see this. I hope it resembles some of the darker, disturbing and suspenseful standalone "monster" episodes(ie. Home, Ice, Irresistible, etc.)
Old 04-01-04, 07:39 AM

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt

Off topic, but if you get a chance to see the new TV GUIDE, check out the new picture of Gillian...she's a BLONDE now!
That so doesn't work. And Gillian looks awful with long hair.
Old 04-01-04, 07:41 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Let's hope it's rated R and Anderson takes off her top before it's too late.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.