Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Question: How did you become 'desensitized' for horror flicks?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-04, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Buford T Pusser
Have you seen "I Spit On Your Grave"?
not yet, but within the next week or two.
Old 03-22-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally posted by Julie Walker
I think being 'that' sheltered is dangerous.
How so?
Old 03-22-04, 12:30 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My decensitization comes from my youth. Being a Child of the 80's, I grew up during the Golden Age of Slasher Flicks. So my constant exposure to just about every Mad Killer, Zombie, Alien or Supernatural Beast the genre had to offer made me much more tolerant as an adult.

Of course the down side is that I dont find most movies scary anymore, unless it's an old school classic like Alien or Jaws.
Old 03-22-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by El-Kabong
My decensitization comes from my youth. Being a Child of the 80's, I grew up during the Golden Age of Slasher Flicks. So my constant exposure to just about every Mad Killer, Zombie, Alien or Supernatural Beast the genre had to offer made me much more tolerant as an adult.

Of course the down side is that I dont find most movies scary anymore, unless it's an old school classic like Alien or Jaws.
Exactly my thoughts.
Old 03-22-04, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen hundreds of horror films and I'm still not desensitized to all of them. I'm a 31 year-old man who is all-too-often afraid I'm going to see Samara in my bathroom in the middle of the night.
Old 03-22-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Buford T Pusser

There's gotta be a joke about rubbing your member with VHS horror boxes.

You need to stay out of the Mature forum.
Old 03-22-04, 03:08 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by hugo1000faces
I'm a 31 year-old man who is all-too-often afraid I'm going to see Samara in my bathroom in the middle of the night.
Or even more frightening, Sadako.
Old 03-23-04, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by William Fuld
How so?

Well they may turn out really messed up in the long run.

I knew a girl,who was shelterd big time from sex/nudity by her mother..that despite being in her twenties,she would spaz out over the tiniest glimpse of sex/nudity in film,would fast forward over the 'offending' parts,freak out,say how she would rather have a gun,than have sex,would rather kill someone,than see a nude person.blah blah blah. Really ****ed up in my opinion.

Now on the violence front. If someone is soooo senstive,that they get traumatized by seeing a paper cut. They really are off in another world. So yes,it may mess them up in the long run.

Besides if they can't tell 'fun' violence apart from 'serious' violence. It will make the majority of film & tv out there pointless to view. Since if they are going to be hurt severely from seeing a person get punched once in the face,or lightly slapped & start crying there eyes out & have nightmares. They are best left not watching anything at all & living in their little shell(which is also unhealthy in the long run).

I don't understand how anyone could sit through Dead Alive & not laugh or find it totally outrageous. If they were traumatized by that film,that is pretty messed up,since the tone of the film is obviouslly cartoonish & not serious. So it is meant to be funny & ok to laugh at the over the top gory violence.

Meanwhile something like John Woos Hard Boiled or The Killer. It is NOT polite to laugh at the carnage onscreen. Since it is done in gutwretching in your face serious though stylizied nature. You see the consequences of violence with plenty of innocent people being shot down in graphic detail.

So it is pretty easy to tell the difference between the two.
Old 03-23-04, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I grew up on Omen, The Exorcist, and stuff like that. I still like to watch an occasional horror flick but I always still have difficulty watching extreme gore even if it's make-believe. Chicken at heart in my 30's.