Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Just saw "Dawn of the Dead" (78) for the 1st time...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-04, 05:03 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

(very small spoiler alert)

this is actually a sequel to my first post "Just saw Night of the..."

wow! what a great 2nd movie.

of course i read and heard from the peeps here of how good this movie was and after seeing "Night" i was really eager and with the Divimax release in my hand i just couldn't wait and for me to watch a DVD after only having it for a week or more is like unbelievable as i have like over 100 in the queue of ones that still need to be seen.

well, i popped it in and had to get the full effect fbi warnings and all and boy was it a treat. picked the dts option and off i went.

it was just so good. such a grand sequel..i love serious gore and though this was very much comic gore it still worked marvelously. i loved the scene when the cop was on a rampage in the apt. bldg and blew the guy's head off. i slo-moed and saw the paper machete head explode in all its comical glory. so much fun.
i jumped at the right scenes. i had fun when they ran around the mall having fun. the acting was better than average and seeing this as in "Night" i realize again Romero is ahead of his time...

...he used the black and white buddy cop routine way before it was made wildly popular when Lethal Weapon exploded it on the scene and launched its many dozen incarnations. This should be the one to have started them all..at least in this modern era. I know there were earlier ones..The Defiant Ones to name one, but this had the comedic touch, the fun and certainly the warmth and strong bond of a male buddy friendship.

Anyway, truly a fun movie that should be savored and shared with the whole family, well maybe not the whole family. But with whoever, keep the sound boomin, the subwoofer on (though i don't think the bass was that great) and enjoy the ride of a truly exceptional sequel!

and to the naysayers that don't think this is a sequel i have to say pfft. this is definitely the next logical progression in a series of movies set to tell a story in a sequential pattern, especially with the description of "Day of the Dead" which is now eagerly anticipated by this viewer as is the "Dawn" sequel and the announced? box set later this year.

So glad I listen to the people here..they really do know what they are talking about. Thanks again for including me in the zombie army.

So..thanks!
Old 03-14-04, 05:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exactly!
Old 03-14-04, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
You should've been there during its theatrical run! At the time it was released, this was definitely an over-the-top full-tilt horror film. The gore wasn't "comical" (in the days before digital freeze-frame and CGI effects) and there were many genuine scares. It is one of the few films where you get a chance to identify with the characters.

I'm thankful to have been able to experience the film with that impact... and feel a bit sad for those who have been jaded by 100's of slasher films who are just now seeing it. But I'm sure there are those, older than me, feeling sorry for me not having seen Psycho during ITS initial theatrical run.... and so it goes.
Old 03-14-04, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
I'll be back in the States in two weeks and my DVD is waiting for me. Then I can experience Dawn for the first time myself. Then I can see the remake. I won't sleep for a month.
Old 03-14-04, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Still, I think Dawn was always, obviously, supposed to be very tongue in cheek. It is more satire than Horror film, and in a very, very good way.

SPOILERS BELOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From the Rednecks "having fun" picking off Zombies to that groovy music, to the social satire of the then "new phenomenon" of indoor shopping malls and their "zombifying" effect on people - the actual zombies just drives the point home.

And then that awesome music at the end when Ken Foree jumps up and starts taking the zombies on on his way to the chopper - those heroic trumpets... Awesome!

What a great flick it is.
Old 03-14-04, 06:57 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This is my all-time favorite horror film.
Old 03-15-04, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
I envy those of you who just now get to experience this great film for the first time. It absolutely floored me when I first saw it back in 1981 or so, and I'm glad that first time audiences today can enjoy it just as much.
Old 03-15-04, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I made my GF sit down and watch it over the weekend and i was surprised on how well she recieved it. She usually hates that kinda stuff but she actually enjoyed it. Now she wants to see the remake as well.
Old 03-15-04, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,804 Likes on 1,127 Posts
The only thing I didn't like was some of the silly scenes with the zombies(ie. escalator scene). I guess it was part of the commentary on human consumerism but to me zombies should be treated with respect.
Old 03-15-04, 08:38 AM

Now it's time to check out Day of the Dead. That one gets some flack from people, but I personally loved it. All of 'em are great
Old 03-16-04, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by yecul
Now it's time to check out Day of the Dead. That one gets some flack from people, but I personally loved it. All of 'em are great
I agree, though much like many others, I hated Day of the Dead upon first viewing. Well, maybe not hated, but deeply disapointed at my blind buy. But after subsequent viewings (mostly due to zombie movie desire) I learned...it's a pretty damn good movie! Not really up to the level of the first two Dead flicks, but definately a solid entry, even with some cheesy music and over acting.
Old 03-16-04, 08:17 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
About Day of the Dead: I made the mistake of reading the script to the version Romero was going to make until the funding dropped out. It would have made a much better movie than the current Day of the Dead. Still, Day is an interesting take on the whole thing. It's a worthy entry in the series, but not as spectacular as it should have been. If Romero had been able to do it the way he originally wanted, it could have been the best in the series.
Old 03-16-04, 08:33 PM

I dunno..

The more I watch Day, the more I think it may just be the best of the series...

In Day, the gore, the over-the-top, the political satire, the examination of human nature.. It all just comes together for me..

Plus, I love the groovy 80s music... Almost John Carpenter like intro...
Old 03-16-04, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I still think this is the penultimate zombie movie and everything else pales in comparison. Seeing this movie made me really sad that we would never get to see George A. Romero's version of Resident Evil. He was made to direct that movie if such a thing could truly be said of a director.