Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ong Bak Muay Thai

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 879 Likes on 642 Posts
dubbed or subbed?
Old 02-13-05, 11:46 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshalo
dubbed or subbed?
Subbed
Old 02-13-05, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I keep seeing The RZA from Wu Tang in the commercials. Does he have something to do with the film, or is he just a fan / spokesman ?
Old 02-15-05, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SPiRAL
I keep seeing The RZA from Wu Tang in the commercials. Does he have something to do with the film, or is he just a fan / spokesman ?
he does the rap song during the closing credits...I left pretty quickly cuz my friend didn't wanna stick around but I think it was Thai rappers with him but I could be completely wrong.

Also, I agree with Patman's review. Tony Jaa was crazy....very athletic...some of the best fight scenes that I've ever scene. However, the plot was TERRIBLE!!!
Old 02-23-05, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'll be seeing it friday (hoping that the amc theater in my area keeps it till friday
Old 02-23-05, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A ping-pong ball with legs. Crazy!
Old 02-23-05, 11:38 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The fights are great, but thats about it.
Old 02-23-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Written back in December:

Plot: Booting lives in a rural Thai town. When the head of the sacred Buddah statue Ong-bak is stolen, it becomes Ting's task to go to Bangkok and recover it from Don, the gangster behind it's disappearance. Extremely athletic, and thoroughly trained in the ancient art of Muay Thai, Ting is adequately equipped to recover the priceless stone head. However, he has to find it first, and that means going through and around a number of henchmen.

Comments: Wow. Even now, over 24 hours after seeing this film, that is the only word I can come up with for this movie. Wow. This is, perhaps, the best action movie I've seen in my lifetime. It is hands down the best martial arts film I've ever seen. I know it seems exaggerated, but I believe that the young star of this film, Tony Jaa, will someday be as revered as Jet Li, Jackie Chan, Stephen Chow and company, and I honestly believe that he's got what it takes to surpass the great Bruce Lee. He is nothing short of amazing. Tony Jaa. Tony Jaa. Say it again. Tony Jaa. Don't forget that name...so that in 5 years, you can say, "oh, yeah, that guy? I've been a fan for a while now. Welcome to the bandwagon."

I really don't think I can go on about this film enough. On the other hand, words cannot do it justice. This is far from a typical martial arts movie. In fact, the only thing typical about it is it's story. I'll go ahead and get all of the negative stuff out there. You've got a typical storyline (and I do mean typical...it's obvious that the plot of this movie is nothing more than filler between action sequences). There's the acting, which is acceptable at times, and at other times is downright painful to watch. The direction is good, but nothing we've never seen before. The action, though. The martial arts. It is...wow. I'm going to talk this film up like it's the second-coming of Christ, and you'll still see it and think, "damn, he couldn't write anything any better than that for this film?" See it as soon as it's released to the United States. Promise me that, and I'll do something I haven't done before and include a link to the film's trailer:

http://www.ongbakmovie.com/pages/com...railer_lg.html

Know that this trailer is but a taste of what you get in the movie. An appetizer for a full, 5-course feast of serious ass-kicking action...all of which (including what you see in the trailer) is done with no wires or special effects. This film was so amazing that I found myself rolling my eyes through a Stephen Chow film that has only seen the light of day once (at the Toronto film festival). How many martial arts films out there can overshadow the world premier of a Stephen Chow movie? Only one, that I can think of.

I'll part with a quip from a review written by somebody that was in the audience with me. I think this sums up perfectly just what this film has to offer: "I told my brother once that no one could possibly do the move in Street Fighter when you hit a-b-a-b Up down left. Ong Bak, you proved me wrong."

See this film now. Thank me later.
Those who haven't seen it yet, do so. Ignore the fact that the plot sucks and that the acting is mediocre...just go to see the amazing things that Tony Jaa can do with his body.

-JP
Old 02-25-05, 07:10 PM

Caught it last night, the final showing in my area, was there for 3 days. What kind of release is that? Anyway, not to overhype it, but IT"S INCREDIBLE. I'd say this movie is pure sex, just like whoa. Apparently there is a plot/story, but I'm not too sure. See it for yourself, and have your mind blown 2x.
Old 02-25-05, 07:18 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Quezacotl02
Caught it last night, the final showing in my area, was there for 3 days. What kind of release is that? Anyway, not to overhype it, but IT"S INCREDIBLE. I'd say this movie is pure sex, just like whoa. Apparently there is a plot/story, but I'm not too sure. See it for yourself, and have your mind blown 2x.
Yea, so he paid for my ticket...all I can say is I think i owe him a lot of money now, but god damn it was worth it.

The movie lever lets up, it's action scene after action scene, and it never gets old. Oh god i want to see this movie again, my head is exploded.
The story wasn't that bad gosh guys I liked it.

I hear they're gonna open up call centers to help people who've seen it to stop thinking about it.
Old 02-25-05, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Fok
The fights are great, but thats about it.
Well that's true about most fight movies.
Old 02-25-05, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
Also, I agree with Patman's review. Tony Jaa was crazy....very athletic...some of the best fight scenes that I've ever scene. However, the plot was TERRIBLE!!!
Aye, my thoughts also.
Old 03-14-05, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

so is there going to be a DVD rerelease with subtitles after it leaves theatres here?

it happened to be at my local (walking distance) theatre, so i went over and saw it yesterday. boy was I in for a surprize.

Awesome.
Old 03-14-05, 08:16 PM

Any word on an extended release? I want to see this so badly!
Old 03-15-05, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

were there any wires in this movie at all?
Old 03-15-05, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, this looks good.
Old 03-16-05, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't call it the best martial arts or action film of all time (like the review above said), it seems like more of an example of Tony Jaa's abilities. I can imagine him doing bigger and better things in his next movies, unless he get's dragged through the whole hollywood thing like Chan and Li when they went Hollywood.
Old 03-17-05, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No DVD version of this with English subs yet? So far I've only found bootlegs.
Old 03-17-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheV
No DVD version of this with English subs yet? So far I've only found bootlegs.
i fear the eventual american release on dvd. why you ask, well, twighlight samari (which was nominated for an acadmy award) was released non anamorphic, burned in subs, and 2.0 sound, while the region 3 release was 5.1 removable subs, and anamorphic.

slighly funny thing happened when i saw this, a few guys in front of me complianed originally about the subs. all i had to say is, would you really expect an english language movie called "onk bak: the thai wairror>
Old 03-17-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 152 Likes on 120 Posts
Does anybody know the correct pronunciation of "Jaa"?
Old 03-17-05, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i'd guess it be pernounced "ya"
Old 03-21-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 152 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
i'd guess it be pernounced "ya"
I was thinking "Jaw", or "Jay" with a lean to "Jaw".
Old 03-21-05, 01:35 PM

"Tony Jaa" is just a made-up non-specific Asian-sounding (?) stagename that Phanom Yeerum started using shortly after making Ong-Bak. I'm quite certain that "Jaa" is pronounced as "Jah," as in ganja. In Thai, where Ls, Rs and Ns get all mix-matched, as do Vs and Ws, the transliteration for the "ah" sound is normally shown as "a" ( so "aa" is just an elongated "ah" sound). I'm not aware of any Southeast Asian language where J is pronounced as a Y.
Old 03-21-05, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah a friend of mine lent me his copy of the DVD. I was just going to "take a peek" at it right before I went to sleep one night and ended up watching the whole thing. It really is amazing. Although everytime there's a fight or a chase or any action scene, I can't help but play Hanson's "MmmBop" song in my head. Replacing "mmbop" with "ong bak" of course.
Old 04-26-05, 12:23 AM

Any news of a R1 dvd release on the horizon? I need this.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.