Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

School of Rock (2003 - Linklater) S: Jack Black

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

School of Rock (2003 - Linklater) S: Jack Black

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-03, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
kekekekeke

-k
###
Old 10-04-03, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w00t!!!!

i dont think its meant to be any more "cool" than someone saying "woohoo!" or "yay!"... just another bit of pop culture.

j
Old 10-04-03, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
So School of Rock r0x0rs?
Old 10-04-03, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This thread sUXoRs!
Old 10-04-03, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw the movie last night. It dragged a tad in the middle and was completely unrealistic on several points but I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I laughed out loud several times and there was even a point where I realized I was actually clapping (with the rest of the theater) and I never do that.
One thing; I would say this is the perfect family movie. Despite the subject mater and the star I was surprised to realize there were no drug references (except the mention of the hang over from the trailer) no sex references (except on little girl pointing out groupies were sluts) and I can't remember one curse word (I may have missed a couple, though).
It was handled very well though. The lack of more mature material did not stick out, I don't think most adults realized they were missing.
Old 10-04-03, 11:01 AM

How long is Sarah Silverman in it? A lot or more like a cameo?
Old 10-04-03, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by KTIK
How long is Sarah Silverman in it? A lot or more like a cameo?
A minor role but she pops up through out the movie.
Old 10-04-03, 11:22 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
If it's a Family movie why is it rated PG-13? That will keep lots of families away.
Old 10-04-03, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Eric F
If it's a Family movie why is it rated PG-13? That will keep lots of families away.
It's not marketed as one but from what I notced I can't think of a single part where I would wince, knowing my eight year old daughter was next to me.
Old 10-04-03, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll check this out eventually
Old 10-04-03, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know why its pg13. maybe the
Spoiler:
molestation joke
made it pg13, and some of the comments.
Old 10-04-03, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rypro 525
I don't know why its pg13. maybe the
Spoiler:
molestation joke
made it pg13, and some of the comments.
Yeah, that and the slut comment by a 10 year old girl. Compared to some "family" movies I'd reccomend it for kids.
Old 10-04-03, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by DeputyDave
It's not marketed as one but from what I notced I can't think of a single part where I would wince, knowing my eight year old daughter was next to me.
It kinda has been marketed a bit as a family film. My daughters watch Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network a lot and commercials for this movie have been playing like crazy. Half tempted to take my 5-year-old to see it, but I get the feeling it might be a bit over her head and would be more suited to like ages 8 and up, but I don't know. Anybody with younger kids try taking them to see this one and have success with it? She really wants to see it and might take her to a matinee Sunday, but still not sure.
Old 10-04-03, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Damn funny movie with a manic performance by Jack Black, and with a good supporting cast of children musicians on display. Just go see it, and have a good time.

I give it 3.5 stars, or a grade of B+.
Old 10-04-03, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got back, wow, excellent movie. I saw it in a sold out theater (stuff around here hardly ever sells out), and the crowd was very into the movie. They laughed at all the jokes, they clapped during the final performance in the end, and they all stayed until the lights came up at the end of the credits. I see people all the time jump out of their seats to leave before the credits even start, but for School of Rock not one person stood up until it faded to black. Pretty impressive if you ask me. I'll bet this gets great word of mouth and will be able to have some legs. Go see this one now with a packed crowd if you haven't already. This isn't the type of movie to see in an empty theater.

And I too saw lots of kids in the theater. Yet at the same time saw lots of people in their 50s. And they all walked out with smiles on their faces, not many movies can do that.
Old 10-04-03, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 197 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
Damn funny movie with a manic performance by Jack Black, and with a good supporting cast of children musicians on display. Just go see it, and have a good time.

I give it 3.5 stars, or a grade of B+.
on all accounts. Jack was great, the kids were good, etc... My mom saw it w/ us and she had no clue about who Jack Black is and she thoroughly enjoyed it and thought he was quite good.

***1/2 out of *****
Old 10-05-03, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As I said in the other thread, definitely loved the movie. Another pleasant surprise after The Rundown ended up being so enjoyable. Good times.
Old 10-05-03, 12:58 AM

Received 825 Likes on 540 Posts
Originally posted by Corvin
As I said in the other thread, definitely loved the movie. Another pleasant surprise after The Rundown ended up being so enjoyable. Good times.
Same here... two suprises in a row...

I thought the movie was quite hilarious. Enjoyed it emmemsely!

However the PG-13 rating could have been the following comment (as was mentioned):

Spoiler:
On parents night, Ned(Dewey) says, "I have been touched by your kids... and I'm pretty sure I have touched all of yours."
Old 10-05-03, 10:32 AM
Suspended

I went to see this last night and everyone in the theater loved it. Everything worked. The plot itself was pretty predictable, but the performances were so awesome that I didn't mind. Jack Black was great and the kids were so talented. Richard Linklater must have that Francois Truffaut touch in terms of working with children. The rest of the cast was good like Mike White, the screenwriter who also plays Black's roommate. But most of all, I loved Joan Cusack as the stressed out school principal. She is a special comic talent.
Old 10-05-03, 12:33 PM

I also saw this last night and thought it was great. I am a fan of Jack Black anyway and knew I would like his performance. What surprised was how good the kids in the movie were. I did not find even one of them to be annoying, and all of them were very funny.

I expect this movie will continue to do well over the next few weeks. The word of mouth on it should carry this movie to some good box office numbers.

Go see it! Now!
Old 10-05-03, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by uncle markie
The word of mouth on it should carry this movie to some good box office numbers.
Definitely. This is one of the more enjoyable movies I've seen this year, and Jack Black's manic performance carries this movie far.
Old 10-05-03, 03:50 PM

...was completely unrealistic on several points
Seeing as it's a comedy about rock and roll in elementary school, this kinda seems beside the point.

Anyway, I thought the film was really good, had kind of a Bad News Bears vibe, and I wish I had kids so I can take them. If I had seen this when I was 10, it would probably be in my all-time top 10.
Old 10-05-03, 07:24 PM

I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I laughed out loud several times and there was even a point where I realized I was actually clapping (with the rest of the theater) and I never do that.
Same sentiments here, Dave. My fiancee and I laughed throughout.
Old 10-05-03, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

went to see SoR yesterday, damn what a fun movie!! I am a JB fan and his performance was awesome... especially considering that he wasnt able to rely on the witty use of 4-letter words or super-crude jokes. Not the I mind (former marine, lol!) but it was cool to see that he has that comedic range. I think this movie will make quite a bit of $... pretty much anyone from 8 yrs old on up would really enjoy it and it was just a really fun movie experience. I tend to be an action film guy, but for non-action flicks, SoR is a very close 2nd to Seabiscuit for my movie of the year. **** of *****

j
Old 10-06-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
saw it saturday, and i loved it. the perfect jack black vehicle. i too was also suprised by the lack of cursing, as was anyone that has listened to Tenacious D.

the kids were awesome. not annoying, but not boring either. even more impressive that they actually played all the instruments.

i'd say it would make a good family movie. had some life lessons in there.

the only complaint I had:
Spoiler:
stick-it-to-da-man-iosis? lame joke.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.