Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Oscars George Lucas won, answer inside. Serious discussion only

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Oscars George Lucas won, answer inside. Serious discussion only

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-04, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by JBurns24
I find it sad that just because somebody wanted to make one of their films "complete" in their mind like Lucas is doing with the Original Trilogy, it became so popular to bash him.
Spielberg did it with E.T. and the backlash was almost non-exisent. Kubrick went back and changed The Shining numerous times even after he had what everyone thought was the "final cut" of the film. And just look at the Lord of the Rings films, are the extended cuts really that much different from what Lucas is doing? Maybe if he called The Special Editions "Star Wars: Extended Editions" people wouldn't have such a problem with them. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Peter Jackson or LOTR, they are three of my favorite movies, and certainly 3 of the best movies of the last 10 years.
Why did Lucas not direct any films between Star Wars and Episode 1? Who knows, the same reason Terrence Malick didn't direct anything for 20 years, but nobody uses that as a slam against him. Just because Lucas spent his time producing doesn't make him any less creative, just means he was focused on a different aspect of filmmaking.
As stated so many times, and I really dont understand why some people dont get it, there is a big difference between what Lucas did and what Jackson did. Lucas went back and altered the motivation of a characters actions (Han shoots first) and thereby, changes the character. Jackson added material that was cut due to time constraints, I am sure he didnt just throw together extra footage into the EE's cause the fans wanted it, I am sure there is much more we have not seen that Jackson probably deemed unworthy of the film.

Now, personally, I dont care if Lucas wants to try and beautify the effects in the film by erasing matte lines and such. But dont give us a line of B.S. that says you always intended Han to shoot first when it would have been easy to shoot the film that way. Now if Jackson were to decide 20 years from now that he didnt like Boromirs actions at Amon Hen and decided to alter/Delete Boromirs attempt to take the ring from Frodo, then yes, I would BASH him, and yes, he would deserve it.

Lets just hope that never happens.
Old 03-04-04, 01:59 PM

There is a huge difference. Star Wars is, was, and always will be George Lucas' vision. Peter Jackson and co. adapted a book, so changes as extreme as that would never happen. It wasn't up to Peter Jackson to change who the characters were unless it makes a better narrative such as adding all the Sarumon scenes and giving Arwen a bigger role, he was really just adapting Tolkein's work.

I just want to make sure everyone realizes I have no hatred of Peter Jackson and LOTR, I love those films. If it sounds like I'm attacking him or his work, I'm not.
Old 03-04-04, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What we need to establish is whether or not it's ok to alter films after their release. Let's say 7 or 8 years down the road Peter Jackson does direct The Hobbit, if he then goes back to the LOTR trilogy and alter some things to make it fit together better than that will there be as many critics as Lucas has gotten?
beyond the fact that the majority of SE changes amount to distracting new flash:
it comes down to preserving on the home video format that currently offers the best a/v the version(s) of the film that millions of people had 'integrated with' over a period of 20 years.

in the future more people will have a personal history with the SEs and when he goes back to tinker them more (he can't seem to help this), then the people who 'grew up with' the SEs will finally start complaining.

if Jackson goes back and throws more crap in the foreground and background of scenes . maybe having something fly into and out of frame while sam and frodo are talking- then it would represent an annoying distraction.
Jackson could rationalize it as "i envision the enviornment being more complex around them" but so what-he's distracting from the point of the scene for the sake of adding superfluous sp-fx.
Mos Eisley in the SEs is full of this nonsense.

its sad to note- but this is the kind of filmmaker that Lucas has become.
no way to get around that fact.
when you see all the talk from Lucas about "Vision" and "Art" - just go back and compare and contrast the two versions of ROTJ.
what does his new Vision entail?
the only change in the film that actually goes a little way to adding the scope it should have had all along is the celebration scene at the end.
otherwise- what else did he feel was important to change in that movie- the movie many feel is the weakest in the ot?
does he go in and tighten up plot points?
does he clarify or embellish weak character motivation?

no

when he has the big chance to go back and alter them- he adds a new disposable alien muppet dance number.

this is how this filmmaker has evolved from the one who first created SW back in 1977.

Last edited by ckolchak; 03-04-04 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-04-04, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by JBurns24
There is a huge difference. Star Wars is, was, and always will be George Lucas' vision. Peter Jackson and co. adapted a book, so changes as extreme as that would never happen. It wasn't up to Peter Jackson to change who the characters were unless it makes a better narrative such as adding all the Sarumon scenes and giving Arwen a bigger role, he was really just adapting Tolkein's work.
But before fans made such a racket online, Jackson's changes to make a "better" narrative included having Arwen fighting at the Battle of Helms Deep and a climactic swordfight between Aragorn and a reformed Sauron. Arwen at Helms Deep would have been bad enough, but changing the ending like that would have been a travesty.

Jackson made a lot of the right decisions in LOTR, but he can't be given total credit. Fortunately, he recognized the importance of keeping fans happy.
Old 03-04-04, 10:17 PM

Well I don't think Lucas could've known there would be this much backlash against the changes, even though I know long-time fans like me were worried. Jackson is also obviously more open to his fans than Lucas, that's why he actually paid attention to their demands.

shessh...i barely remember why this thread started in the first place