DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   POTC Vs. Last Temptation (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/350067-potc-vs-last-temptation.html)

chowchris13 02-29-04 01:50 AM

POTC Vs. Last Temptation

Gibson's POTC vs Scorsese's Last Temptation?

Which did you find was a more powerful, better film?
Why has everyone forgotten about Last Temptation?

Jackskeleton 02-29-04 01:53 AM

POTC had johnny depp. that's where my vote is going to.

Mondo Kane 02-29-04 01:56 AM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
POTC had johnny depp. that's where my vote is going to.
Took the words outta my mouth.

chowchris13 02-29-04 01:56 AM

POTC="The Passion of the Christ"

badger1997 02-29-04 02:23 AM

Actually, to me POTC="Pirates of the Carribbean".

It was released first after all. ;)

That being said, I gotta go with POTC, because there really just wasn't enough pirate action in LT (Last Temptation? Lost in Translation? Lady and the Tramp? lite tuna? legal tender? Lawrence Taylor?) for my liking. :)

William Wallace 02-29-04 02:26 AM

you guys are so funny...and creative :rolleyes:

The Zizz 02-29-04 02:40 AM

POTC = Pirates.

Maybe The Passion of the Christ can be TPOC.

The Zizz 02-29-04 02:40 AM

Or just "the Passion"

Rivero 02-29-04 02:59 AM

Although I was intrigued by Last Temptation, and I'm a big Martin Scorsese fan, I'm gonna have to go with Pirates on this one. Johnny Depp was AWESOME in Pirates, and embodied the role of Jack Sparrow more convincingly than Willem Dafoe did the role of Jesus Christ. Pirates of the Carribean all the way.

Can't wait for the sequel!

fumanstan 02-29-04 03:04 AM

Why didn't you use TPOTC?

Mr. Salty 02-29-04 04:55 AM

Originally posted by fumanstan
Why didn't you use TPOTC?
Or why not just spell the damned (no pun intended) title out instead of playing "Translate the Thread Title"?

But yeah, I'm with everybody else. Although Harvey Keitel was hilarious as Judas Iscariot, he can't beat Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow. Depp brings the funny.

badger1997 02-29-04 05:25 AM

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
Or why not just spell the damned (no pun intended) title out instead of playing "Translate the Thread Title"?
One of my big pet peeves too, thus my earlier comments. Apparently we are all so busy and our time is so valuable that we can't take a few extra seconds to actually spell out a movie title. Nothing I hate more than coming into a thread and someone uses an abbreviation I have never seen before in my life and throws it out there like you should immediately know which movie they are talking about.

In a thread on another forum I saw people abbreviating Big Fish as BF!! My god, if your time is that valuable, maybe you should just start billing people for reading your posts. I am going to start abbreviating 21 Grams as 21G and maybe Mystic River as just M, because that extra R is just too time consuming for me. ;)

I don't know what to do about the Peter Lorre/Fritz Lang film M after that though.

CitizenKaneRBud 02-29-04 10:49 AM

As entertainment, I prefer Pirates to Last Temptation. As a dramatic piece, I'd put Last Temptation ahead of Pirates. I'd also say Passion of the Christ is better, as a dramatic work than both Last Temptation and Pirates. Depp's work in Pirates, however, is pretty inventive. I'd like to see him play Jesus. In general, portraying Jesus doesn't have a lot of room for work and variety in ability, it's pretty strict.

Groucho 02-29-04 10:52 AM

Depp is too old to play Jesus, although I suppose he might pull it off but he'll have to hurry. Since he's already done "Keith Richards as Captain Jack" perhaps he could try "Mick Jaggar as Jesus" ???

cheapskate 02-29-04 11:01 AM

Definately Pirates of the Carribean! :thumbsup:

Have to agree with CKRB (CitizenKaneRBud... sorry I couldn't be bothered typing the whole thing out) that Jesus is just a role you don't mess with. People expect a certain dignity and restraint from anyone portraying the J-man (Jesus, again, I M 2 layZ 2 spell it).

N E Way got 2 go!

JD 4 EVA! (That's Johnny Depp, not Jesus... or James Dean... sorry 4 all the confusion)

Pants 02-29-04 11:02 AM

All joking aside, I prefered Last Temtation to The Passion

movielib 02-29-04 11:04 AM

I would have understood the thread title better if it had been "POTC vs. LTOC."

ESBA (everything should be abbreviated.)

cheapskate 02-29-04 12:44 PM

Originally posted by movielib
ESBA
http://www.esba-monroe.org/Patch.gif

:hscratch:

Groucho 02-29-04 12:56 PM

http://www.esbuilders.com/logo2.gif

DVDho78DTS 02-29-04 01:51 PM

Disregard the past few posts as they are taking a joke a bit too far.

I'm gonna go with Pirates of the Caribbean.

cheapskate 02-29-04 02:02 PM

Originally posted by DVD-ho78(DTS)
Disregard the past few posts as they are taking a joke a bit too far.

I'm gonna go with Pirates of the Caribbean.

I apologize. I understand how my post could have been taken the wrong way. :(

Thanks for getting this thread back on track! :thumbsup:

RyoHazuki 02-29-04 03:10 PM

Its TPOTC:TCOTBP

moocher 02-29-04 03:48 PM

Originally posted by RyoHazuki
Its TPOTC:TCOTBP
Yeah, I agree. My vote goes to that one as well.

groovrbaby 03-01-04 02:03 AM

Wait, which are we talking about? Because I really think the thread title should be changed so that people don't get confused between Pirates and Passion. IN any case, my vote goes to:

Passion of the Carribean

Jackskeleton 03-01-04 02:25 AM

Well an equal stand point for both is that they are rated ARRRRRRRRRGH..

Rivero 03-01-04 02:29 AM

Again let me reiterate, Last Temptation was a commendable movie and Scorsese certainly gave it his own personal touch, but Pirates just seemed fresh and new and Depp's performance was spot-on the entire film.

POTC Vs. Last Temptation?

No contest.....

Pirates of the Carribean all the way

jaeufraser 03-01-04 04:28 AM

Last Temptation would've been served better had Dafoe based his Jesus on a drunken Keith richards...ok all joking aside, I haven't seen Scorcese's film. But when I speak to my father about it (he's quite a devout Christian) he speaks of it quite negatively. In fact, he won't watch a single Scorcese film because of it. He says the film is blasphemous. Now, I called his opinion completely inane (mainly because, well, he's never seen the damn movie) but I am wondering what in this film has caused these feelings among people? I'd like to set him straight as, I'm a film lover, and think he's missing out big time swearing off someone like Scorcese because of a film he's never watched. He says the films portrays Jesus as a sinner, and not the son of God and is a slap in hte face of Christianity. I've heard...otherwise...but still haven't had a chance to see the film...anyone care to go into a little detail?

towbinaj 03-01-04 05:52 AM

Last Temptation portays Jesus as a human struggling to understand his role as savior/son of God. It fits pretty well with my idea of how a sane person would react to hearing "the voice of God."

talemyn 03-01-04 11:14 AM

http://www.mindspring.com/~boycekb/i...s/Hijacked.gif

Sex Fiend 03-01-04 11:23 AM

Due to the huge box office success of "The Passion of The Christ", you can be sure that the other studios will be jumping on board with their own versions of the Christ story, probably working in elements of other box-office hits just to ensure profitability (typical of the Hollywood studios). So in the next few months, expect to see such films as:

The Pilates of the Caribbean
Lost in Transubstantiation
Freddy vs. Jesus

Dabaomb 03-01-04 11:28 AM

Originally posted by towbinaj
Last Temptation portays Jesus as a human struggling to understand his role as savior/son of God. It fits pretty well with my idea of how a sane person would react to hearing "the voice of God."
that's correct.

Jesus was God in human form. Therefore, he was free of sin and was the only man who was free of sin. That's why his death on the cross was the ultimate sacrifice cuz in doing so he payed for all of mankind's sins despite him being free of sin.

As a Christian, I didn't think that it was as blasphemous as other Christians think. I thought that it was an interesting spin on Christ (although I disagree with it). From what I hear, that's why many Christian groups boycotted it.

On the other hand, after seeing The Passion, I can see why so many Christian groups have backed it. I thought that it was an extremely powerful movie that was pretty true to the Bible (If you read the end of the last four gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John), you'll see that Gibson took many lines word for word from the Scriptures).

Oh yeah, I thought that The Passion was not only superior to The Last Temptation of Christ, but it was also one of the best movies that I've ever seen.

greydt 03-01-04 11:28 AM

Scorsese directed this? :hscratch:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

devilshalo 03-01-04 11:41 AM

Waits patiently for the parody AOTC vs Last Temptation thread. :D

Patman 03-01-04 01:07 PM

Next Monday, on ABC, they'll be showing a film called "Judas".

natesfortune 03-01-04 02:15 PM

I like both films very much.

TLTOC is not blasphemous in my opinion. The film states very clearly(and shows as well), that Jesus has never sinned.

The thing most people object to in the film is its depiction of Jesus having sex with Mary Magdalene. However, this doesn't actually occur, and it's not even Jesus "thinking about it", which would also be a sin. Instead, it's the Devil tempting Jesus while he's hanging on the cross - trying to show him what kind of life he could have if he shirked the responsibility of dying on the cross and lived life as a simple human being.

Jesus doesn't do these things, or think about them - Satan tempts him with them. Since Satan tempts Jesus with similar things throughout the Gospels, I really don't see how people get in such a rage over this film. They clearly haven't seen it or just don't understand the difference.

Jesus IS the Son of God in the film. He is also a man. Just as he is in the Bible. The film is about the Man's struggle with his divinity, and the responsibility of it. It's a very interesting take on Christ, and probably a very accurate one - it actually gives the viewer MORE of a respect for Christ's sacrifice than any other film I've seen, except for The Passion of the Christ. Because Jesus has to overcome to do what he does.

If a Christian discounts the humanity in Jesus, they not only discount the Bible, but they discount what Jesus did, in a way. The Bible shows Jesus being tempted by the Devil - if you say, yes, but he was never actually tempted, it was just the Devil trying, then that completely diminishes what he did - living without sin. If he truly never had temptation, that's not an achievement. If he truly lived as a man, and was tempted, but still did not sin, then THAT is an incredible achievement, which no other man could possibly claim.

mllefoo 03-01-04 02:22 PM

I have to go with Last Temptation because I can't help thinking David Bowie is a wonderful Pontius Pilate, even without the speech impediment I keep expecting all Pilates to have since Life Of Brian.

We shall weweese Bwian!

Depp would make a wonderful Jesus. Particularly if Christopher Moore's Lamb* is ever made into a movie.

*the gospel according to Biff, Jesus' childhood pal.

island007 03-01-04 02:24 PM

Pirates of the Carribean

talemyn 03-01-04 06:24 PM

Originally posted by mllefoo
Depp would make a wonderful Jesus. Particularly if Christopher Moore's Lamb* is ever made into a movie.

*the gospel according to Biff, Jesus' childhood pal.

Ooh! Thanks for the reminder . . . a friend lent me that book and I keep forgetting to read it. http://www.mindspring.com/~boycekb/i.../HeadSmack.gif

Hiro11 03-01-04 10:30 PM

I prefered Star Trek 2:The Wrath of Jesus.

wm lopez 03-02-04 10:21 AM

PASSION was more serious, so it gets the edge.