Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

POTC Vs. Last Temptation

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

POTC Vs. Last Temptation

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-04, 02:29 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Again let me reiterate, Last Temptation was a commendable movie and Scorsese certainly gave it his own personal touch, but Pirates just seemed fresh and new and Depp's performance was spot-on the entire film.

POTC Vs. Last Temptation?

No contest.....

Pirates of the Carribean all the way
Old 03-01-04, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last Temptation would've been served better had Dafoe based his Jesus on a drunken Keith richards...ok all joking aside, I haven't seen Scorcese's film. But when I speak to my father about it (he's quite a devout Christian) he speaks of it quite negatively. In fact, he won't watch a single Scorcese film because of it. He says the film is blasphemous. Now, I called his opinion completely inane (mainly because, well, he's never seen the damn movie) but I am wondering what in this film has caused these feelings among people? I'd like to set him straight as, I'm a film lover, and think he's missing out big time swearing off someone like Scorcese because of a film he's never watched. He says the films portrays Jesus as a sinner, and not the son of God and is a slap in hte face of Christianity. I've heard...otherwise...but still haven't had a chance to see the film...anyone care to go into a little detail?
Old 03-01-04, 05:52 AM

Last Temptation portays Jesus as a human struggling to understand his role as savior/son of God. It fits pretty well with my idea of how a sane person would react to hearing "the voice of God."
Old 03-01-04, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 03-01-04, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Due to the huge box office success of "The Passion of The Christ", you can be sure that the other studios will be jumping on board with their own versions of the Christ story, probably working in elements of other box-office hits just to ensure profitability (typical of the Hollywood studios). So in the next few months, expect to see such films as:

The Pilates of the Caribbean
Lost in Transubstantiation
Freddy vs. Jesus

Last edited by Sex Fiend; 03-01-04 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-01-04, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by towbinaj
Last Temptation portays Jesus as a human struggling to understand his role as savior/son of God. It fits pretty well with my idea of how a sane person would react to hearing "the voice of God."
that's correct.

Jesus was God in human form. Therefore, he was free of sin and was the only man who was free of sin. That's why his death on the cross was the ultimate sacrifice cuz in doing so he payed for all of mankind's sins despite him being free of sin.

As a Christian, I didn't think that it was as blasphemous as other Christians think. I thought that it was an interesting spin on Christ (although I disagree with it). From what I hear, that's why many Christian groups boycotted it.

On the other hand, after seeing The Passion, I can see why so many Christian groups have backed it. I thought that it was an extremely powerful movie that was pretty true to the Bible (If you read the end of the last four gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John), you'll see that Gibson took many lines word for word from the Scriptures).

Oh yeah, I thought that The Passion was not only superior to The Last Temptation of Christ, but it was also one of the best movies that I've ever seen.
Old 03-01-04, 11:28 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Scorsese directed this?

Old 03-01-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Waits patiently for the parody AOTC vs Last Temptation thread.
Old 03-01-04, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Next Monday, on ABC, they'll be showing a film called "Judas".
Old 03-01-04, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I like both films very much.

TLTOC is not blasphemous in my opinion. The film states very clearly(and shows as well), that Jesus has never sinned.

The thing most people object to in the film is its depiction of Jesus having sex with Mary Magdalene. However, this doesn't actually occur, and it's not even Jesus "thinking about it", which would also be a sin. Instead, it's the Devil tempting Jesus while he's hanging on the cross - trying to show him what kind of life he could have if he shirked the responsibility of dying on the cross and lived life as a simple human being.

Jesus doesn't do these things, or think about them - Satan tempts him with them. Since Satan tempts Jesus with similar things throughout the Gospels, I really don't see how people get in such a rage over this film. They clearly haven't seen it or just don't understand the difference.

Jesus IS the Son of God in the film. He is also a man. Just as he is in the Bible. The film is about the Man's struggle with his divinity, and the responsibility of it. It's a very interesting take on Christ, and probably a very accurate one - it actually gives the viewer MORE of a respect for Christ's sacrifice than any other film I've seen, except for The Passion of the Christ. Because Jesus has to overcome to do what he does.

If a Christian discounts the humanity in Jesus, they not only discount the Bible, but they discount what Jesus did, in a way. The Bible shows Jesus being tempted by the Devil - if you say, yes, but he was never actually tempted, it was just the Devil trying, then that completely diminishes what he did - living without sin. If he truly never had temptation, that's not an achievement. If he truly lived as a man, and was tempted, but still did not sin, then THAT is an incredible achievement, which no other man could possibly claim.
Old 03-01-04, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have to go with Last Temptation because I can't help thinking David Bowie is a wonderful Pontius Pilate, even without the speech impediment I keep expecting all Pilates to have since Life Of Brian.

We shall weweese Bwian!

Depp would make a wonderful Jesus. Particularly if Christopher Moore's Lamb* is ever made into a movie.

*the gospel according to Biff, Jesus' childhood pal.
Old 03-01-04, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pirates of the Carribean
Old 03-01-04, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mllefoo
Depp would make a wonderful Jesus. Particularly if Christopher Moore's Lamb* is ever made into a movie.

*the gospel according to Biff, Jesus' childhood pal.
Ooh! Thanks for the reminder . . . a friend lent me that book and I keep forgetting to read it.
Old 03-01-04, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I prefered Star Trek 2:The Wrath of Jesus.
Old 03-02-04, 10:21 AM
Banned

PASSION was more serious, so it gets the edge.
Old 03-02-04, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by talemyn
Ooh! Thanks for the reminder . . . a friend lent me that book and I keep forgetting to read it.
You have to read it, if only for Biff's parody song from The Wizard of Oz.

I'd love to see Lamb made into a movie.