Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Robert Rodriguez will direct "Sin City"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Robert Rodriguez will direct "Sin City"

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-04, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the cast list on imdb confirmed?
Old 05-21-04, 12:53 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by RyoHazuki
Is the cast list on imdb confirmed?
It jives with every bit of news that has come out. Also, Benicio Del Toro and Clive Owen have joined the cast according to Coming Soon.
Old 05-21-04, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I can't wait for this movie. The Sin City books are cool. Jessica's body is kicking in that clip.
Old 05-21-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can't wait for this movie. I didn't think I could get more excited once I found out one of my favorite actors Clive Owen was cast in it, but Alba as a stripper.

This will be my Kill Bill of 2005.
Old 05-21-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So out of these rumored

Bruce Willis
Johnny Depp
Josh Hartnett
Elijah Wood
Benicio Del Toro
Clive Owen
Jessica Alba
Kate Bosworth
Brittany Murphy
Mickey Rourke
Steve Buscemi
Micheal Douglas
Christopher Walken

who is for sure on board (besides Willis and Alba)

Last edited by RyoHazuki; 05-21-04 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-21-04, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
looks like crappola...
I can't tell if this is a jab at the footage, or if he's comparing it to Francis Ford Coppola and spelt it wrong.

So remember kids, QuiGonJosh, who loved Star Wars: Episode I, Troy and Hulk, said this looks like 'crappola'.
Old 05-21-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I'll be interesting in seeing it however I was dissapointed with Once upon a time in Mexico so hopefully he does better than that.
Old 05-21-04, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by RyoHazuki
So out of these rumored

Bruce Willis
Johnny Depp
Josh Hartnett
Elijah Wood
Benicio Del Toro
Clive Owen
Kate Bosworth
Brittany Murphy
Mickey Rourke

who is for sure on board (besides Willis and Alba)
I'm pretty positive those are the people that are definitely in it that you listed. Don't know where you got Michael Douglas or Jessica Biel from, I don't think they were even rumored to be in it but I may be wrong.

I'm pretty sure James King is also in it, although I've never seen her in a movie before. I'm also pretty sure that Mario Bello is in it with a big part & that dude from Terminator 3 as well, I don't know his name, but he kind of sucks.
Old 05-21-04, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
So remember kids, QuiGonJosh, who loved Star Wars: Episode I, Troy and Hulk, said this looks like 'crappola'.
He even said it w/out using an exclamation point!

How much longer do we have to wait for this? I want me some Jessica Alba...like now.

And the rest of the cast looks pretty damn good, too.
Old 05-21-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Probably a year away from release.
Old 05-21-04, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Uh...I thought it was real raw footage from the movie, not an Entertainment Tonight clip. Still, she looked yummy!
Old 05-21-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
Probably a year away from release.
and the anticipation begins to mount.
Old 05-21-04, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not to diss, but if this is being done in the way Sky Captain is being done then there is some need to worry, I saw the unreleased trailer for Sky Captain that had alot of footage of regular scenes with fake backgrounds and it looked VERY fake, they blur it up and use Black and WHite to cover it up but it looks very bad. I think its more an insult to Miller's work in Sin City to break it down that it basically only works as a black and white picture, therefore the need to use this process. I hope im proven wrong.
Old 05-21-04, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Miller is working with them. So if it's an insult to his work, he does have a say in it.
Old 05-21-04, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts
Originally posted by trigun
Robert must be doing something right if Miller is collaborating with him (wasn't Miller quoted as never wanting to have anything to do with Hollywood after Robocop 3?).
Yeah, allegedly, Miller had a really bad experience with the Robocop sequel(s?) he was involved with, and hasn't tried to return to the Hollywood scene since.

According to the reports I've read, Robert Rodriguez actually filmed one of Miller's short "Sin City" stories (from the "Booze, Broads, and Bullets" book) on spec and sent it to Frank Miller. Miller actually liked what he saw, and has allowed Rodriguez to go ahead with a full motion picture.

Considering that Miller was impressed with an unsolicited short sent to him, I'd say that that's definitely a big plus in RR's favor here.
Old 05-21-04, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
I can't tell if this is a jab at the footage, or if he's comparing it to Francis Ford Coppola and spelt it wrong.

That was corny serioulsly, care to share what your thoughts are on the footage you saw?
Old 05-21-04, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 130 Posts
Oh, by the way, the footage looked stupid - but I'm not allowed to comment any further because it's against forum rules..................but to comment..............that footage looked pretty corny...................to further comment.....................hey who knows, this flick might be pretty good........right???
Old 05-21-04, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
FWIW, the footage didn't show much of anything. A bunch of people in front of a green screen, nothing else. If the movie actually IS a bunch of people in front of an ACTUAL green screen w/ET people babbling away the whole time, then I'll agree that it will most likely suck.
Old 05-21-04, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
^^^ True. It's to early to say it will be good or it will suck. But it's not to early to say that Alba looks smoking.
Old 05-22-04, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by trigun

BTW, Robert isn't directing Princess of Mars due to leaving the Director's Guild (Paramount can't hire non-DGA people). This is according to a blurb on Coming Soon.
I certainly hope your right.
Old 05-22-04, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts
I can't get the link to work?
Old 07-26-04, 10:02 PM
Banned

I saw about 10 minutes of straight footage from this at the ComicCon with Miller and Rodriguez hosting it and WOW!

This looks like one of the coolest things I'm ever going to see. If you hate comics or movies that try a new look (and succeed brilliantly) then maybe your going to the wrong source for entertainment.

There was a scene with Marv (Mickey Roarke in facial prosthetics) and his trademark bandages in extremely stark white on black. A scene with the Dirty Yellow Bastard (Nick Stahl in heavy make-up) screming threats and gouting bright yellow blood from his throat. A scene with the girl squad in the alley (which Tarantino is the guest director on). Many other quick scenes and all were completely out of the comic.

They used the comic books as the shooting script and went frame by frame. Rodriguez wouldn't even let Miller change it saying, "You already inked it!"

Everybody around me was freaked out at how good the footage was. Another cool thing is: There are three chapters representing three mini series in the comic. If anything has to be cut for content or time, Rodriguez said that the DVD will have an option to play each story arc as it's own movie with all the footage that was intended.

I AM THERE!!!
Old 07-26-04, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
*sigh* I so wanted to go to this circumstances (err, the hordes of people waiting to get into Hall H) prevented it.

Sounds like it was a nice panel.
Old 07-26-04, 11:29 PM
Banned

Oh Man! I'm sorry.

We actually got in just before they screened it because they let the Sky Captain line in while the panel was in progress. The longest line I've ever been in, but it moved fast once it started.

The line went down the sidewalk, into the courtyard on the side and spiraled around like a nautilus by the time we got in it.

Believe me. This is going to be something you'll enjoy.

Rodriguez was asking people not to tape it (They would have shut it down if anyone was caught) and he said this: "...This is going to be on the internet in three weeks anyway.".
Old 07-27-04, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,513 Posts
Damn, I wish I could have seen that. Sounds nice.

Rodriguez was asking people not to tape it (They would have shut it down if anyone was caught) and he said this: "...This is going to be on the internet in three weeks anyway."
Can't wait to check it out. I'm a big fan of the comic, and it certainly sounds like they're doing this right.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.