Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

TWISTED - is it really that bad?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-04, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

As of now it has 45 reviews up at Rotten Tomatoes: 44 Rotten and 1 Fresh (from a "James Rocchi" at "Netflix").

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/Twisted-1130029/

Man, Jesus got off easy compared to what the critics are doing to this film.

Last edited by Perkinsun Dzees; 02-27-04 at 03:32 AM.
Old 02-27-04, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Skip it, not worth the price of admission.
Old 02-27-04, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The local critic gave it three stars but his review is still listed as negative on Rotten Tomatoes.
Old 02-27-04, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts
Can't believe the Director of such films as The Right Stuff, The Unbearable Lightness of Being, The Wanderers & Quills made this turkey.
Old 02-27-04, 08:31 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
The review in today's Washington Post Style section is scathing:

'Twisted': It's Straight-Out Dumb
Talented Cast is Wasted on a Formulaic Psycho-Thriller

ouch!
Old 02-27-04, 11:04 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've defended Ashley Judd in the past, but in TWISTED, she's really just awful.

The film is a mess.
Old 02-27-04, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For those who have seen it, spoiler tag it for me....Is she the killer? What is the "twist"(ed! Hardy har har)
Old 02-27-04, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Seantn
For those who have seen it, spoiler tag it for me....Is she the killer? What is the "twist"(ed! Hardy har har)
Spoiler:
I haven't seen the movie, but I'm going to guess yes. In Michael Wilmington's review (from the Chicago Tribune), he writes something about how Judd's character's cop-dad went crazy and killed people or something. So, seeing as how this is a movie about "twists" or whatever, I'd guess yes. Anyone know for sure?
Old 02-27-04, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is this movie worth seeing for Samuel Jackson's performance alone? I try to atleast see everything he is in..
Old 02-27-04, 04:42 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Fresh: 1__Rotten: 73

1%

Old 02-27-04, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am going to see it tonight before 6pm while its cheap. It has to be better than some of the other stinkers I have seen these past few months.
Old 02-27-04, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ouch. 1% on the tomatometer. There have been some BAD movies that have at least mustered a 5%, too. I'm pretty sure Battlefield Earth was higher than 1%.
Old 02-28-04, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My Gf had free tickets to see a movie at a Loews Theater and Twisted was the only one that we havent seen, so we checked it out. It was quite horrible. I found it incredibly cheesy, the premise was very weak and so was the acting. Not even Sam Jackson could do with this horrible script. By the time you get to the end of the film, you don't really care whos the killer. Also, seeing Ashley Judd in this film makes me feel like ive seen it a dozen times before due to her other similar roles.

For those who wanna know

Spoiler:
Sam Jackson was the killer

Last edited by thegame370; 02-28-04 at 12:45 AM.
Old 02-28-04, 08:27 AM

Thanks for the spoiler. You've saved me from wasting 90 minutes of my life. Could you explain why the killer was the killer? Then I won't even have to read about it later.
Old 02-28-04, 11:50 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.
Could you explain why the killer was the killer? Then I won't even have to read about it later.
Buddy, the FILMMAKERS couldn't even explain why the killer was the killer...

I wouldn't know where to start.
Old 02-28-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I can't believe a film that looks so average, mediocre, formulaic and generic could illicit such sour reviews. It makes me wanna see it. I mean, it looks like every other Ashly Judd, Morgan Freeman, John Travolta, psycho-thriller movie out there... Double Jeopardy, Kiss the Girls, Don't Say a Word, High Crimes, Along Came a Spider, Under Suspicion, General's Daughter, Enough, Domestic Disturbance, etc... It's like there was a good psycho-thriller once that everyone liked so they decided to keep making more and more and more and they all feel like the same movie and they are all just kinda average rather than good or bad. Actually - moviegoers voting at IMDB are giving it a 5.9/10 which puts it right about where it should be - average.
Old 02-28-04, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Meh. I can't believe I paid full admission to see this BAD BAD movie. Of course, I didn't know it was going to be that awful until an hour before showtime.

Did I mention how bad it is? The acting ranged from terrible to mediocre with emotional outburts at odd moments. There were some elements in the plot that didn't work for me, and I had a major issue with the motive behind the murders. Plus, to see Judd in another strong, bad ass woman role was just too much for me to bear. Going in I thought it was going to be as entertaining as 'The Bone Collector'. Coming out the only thing I was thinking about was holding a fart until I reached the car. Sadly that didn't pan out either.
Old 02-28-04, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by quietsoul
Meh. I can't believe I paid full admission to see this BAD BAD movie. Of course, I didn't know it was going to be that awful until an hour before showtime.
...an hour before or an hour into the movie? I'm confused.
Old 02-28-04, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by quietsoul

Normally, I'd check the reviews before going to see a movie, but this was a last minute sort of thing. I didn't even think about checking the review until one of my other friends said this was a terrible movie. He was right.
Old 02-29-04, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.
Thanks for the spoiler. You've saved me from wasting 90 minutes of my life. Could you explain why the killer was the killer? Then I won't even have to read about it later.
Spoiler:
Basically, Sam Jackson (chief of police) killed Judd's mother becuase he was inlove with her. He also killed her because she was cheating on Judd's father, he killed her father as well. Ofcourse, she never knew of this so S. Jackson raises her after her parents were murdered. Thats the back story spoilers, here the spoilers that have to do with the main premise. As you know, Judd likes one nighters with dudes she meets at bars, but she always has too much to drink and blacks during or after her one nighters. One by one all the men shes been sleeping with turn up dead and no one knows why and ofcourse she becomes a suspect. Well it turns out, that after all the suspicion, S.Jackson was sercretly giving her roofies and offing her one nighters becuase i guess he was jealous, or as a father figure, he didnt approve. Well, thats the gist of it
Old 02-29-04, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Terrible.

-NiCK
Old 02-29-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
I mean, it looks like every other Ashly Judd, Morgan Freeman, John Travolta, psycho-thriller movie out there... Double Jeopardy, Kiss the Girls, Don't Say a Word, High Crimes, Along Came a Spider, Under Suspicion, General's Daughter, Enough, Domestic Disturbance, etc... It's like there was a good psycho-thriller once that everyone liked so they decided to keep making more and more and more and they all feel like the same movie and they are all just kinda average rather than good or bad.
Yeah, no joke.

In a couple of weeks Taking Lives comes out--a film that I think will fit into this mediocre-thriller category quite well.
Old 02-29-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Yup - Taking Lives... after making that list, I realized I forgot to add Bone Collector.
Old 02-29-04, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I figured out the killer
Spoiler:
of both sets of murders
more than an hour before it was revealed.

I thought the movie was an average typical-type psychological thriller. At least it was better than the dreck of Double Jeopardy.
Old 02-29-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was okay... its nothing new that you havent seen before. It was not the worst film I have seen this year so I didnt mind spending $5 and 90 minutes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.