Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Passion - The Curiosity Factor

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-26-04, 03:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We all know this movie is already doing huge business, but my question is, Does this film have potential legs?

Once the church groups get finished with this movie (1st week or two) how long will the curiosity factor really play into this? Many people I know are just turned off by religiously themed movies, I myself, am on the fence with this one, waiting to weigh the different reviews, which right now seem pretty mixed.

How much of a drop off will we see in the second and third weeks? I think, after two weeks this movie will start to sink fast, unless the positive reviews start to overwhelm the negative reviews.
Old 02-26-04, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think word of mouth plus all the negative reviews might keep a lot of people away. Personally, I think I might get a little bored of watching an extended torture scene. I'll wait til it comes out on DVD.
Old 02-26-04, 03:56 AM

I was (thankfully) glad to see that the torture was not THAT extended. And what torture there was, you were given a break through flashbacks. It was uncomfortable, true. But after seeing it, I don't think this is the end all of gore movies.
Old 02-26-04, 03:58 AM

And I personally liked it. The word I would spread about this movie is good word. Give it over the weekend. You might be suprised by the actual "word" that is spread about this movie.
Old 02-26-04, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This movie is not for everyone. There are some people who would get nothing out of it *cough* *cough*.

I think a movie buff should see this movie, though. Has some interesting techniques. And very effective ones too.
Old 02-26-04, 10:01 AM

I'm seeing this Friday, so I can't give an actual opinion of the movie. However, I do believe it will have a multiple watchability factor with many. To many people, this will be a religious, personal, and very emotional experience. That goes beyond the entertainment experience. This will cause the movie to stay in the theaters for quite a while. I think it will surprise everyone how long it stays. On top of that, the video sales will be astronomical.

Why do you think Titanic did so well . . . the special effects? the love story? How about the historical significance as well as the emotional impact.

With "Passion" you're talking about millions of people's savior. Factor that in and you have a potential for the longest running as well as top grossing movie of all time (once all the numbers are in, domestically and internationally, of course.

By the way, remember that very sad movie, "The Omega Code." It grossed over 12 million!! One of the worst things I've ever tried to sit through, but it was "Christian."

Last edited by jwerner; 02-26-04 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-26-04, 11:38 AM

I have no issue with that it's a religious movie. A good story is a good story IMO...and I am very curious about it, but I refuse to see it based on principle.
Mel Gibson has lost his mind and is pandering to religious zealots, not movie fans...that's why I refuse to see it....curious or not.
Old 02-26-04, 12:02 PM

My question is:

Should we have a sub-forum for this movie?

This movie has had more threads started about it than LOTR did a couple of months ago.
Old 02-26-04, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by jwerner
I'm seeing this Friday, so I can't give an actual opinion of the movie. However, I do believe it will have a multiple watchability factor with many. To many people, this will be a religious, personal, and very emotional experience. That goes beyond the entertainment experience. This will cause the movie to stay in the theaters for quite a while. I think it will surprise everyone how long it stays. On top of that, the video sales will be astronomical.

Why do you think Titanic did so well . . . the special effects? the love story? How about the historical significance as well as the emotional impact.

With "Passion" you're talking about millions of people's savior. Factor that in and you have a potential for the longest running as well as top grossing movie of all time (once all the numbers are in, domestically and internationally, of course.

By the way, remember that very sad movie, "The Omega Code." It grossed over 12 million!! One of the worst things I've ever tried to sit through, but it was "Christian."
Actually, that is an EXCELLENT point! The Omega Code did far more business than it probably deserved, I may have to rethink my projections for this film.

Now if the church had come out in condemnation of this film, then it would probably die after a couple weeks, but you might be making a very good point for this films longevity.
Old 02-26-04, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by funkyryno
Personally, I think I might get a little bored of watching an extended torture scene. DVD.
So Jesus can endure it for you, but you can't endure it for him?

Old 02-26-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
So Jesus can endure it for you, but you can't endure it for him?

No kidding, don't F$#@ with jesus man!
Old 02-26-04, 02:29 PM
Admin Emeritus

This thread is about how much money the movie's made. This discussion can go there, too.

http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....hreadid=349457