Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Passion - The Curiosity Factor

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Passion - The Curiosity Factor

Old 02-26-04, 03:10 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 688
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Passion - The Curiosity Factor

We all know this movie is already doing huge business, but my question is, Does this film have potential legs?

Once the church groups get finished with this movie (1st week or two) how long will the curiosity factor really play into this? Many people I know are just turned off by religiously themed movies, I myself, am on the fence with this one, waiting to weigh the different reviews, which right now seem pretty mixed.

How much of a drop off will we see in the second and third weeks? I think, after two weeks this movie will start to sink fast, unless the positive reviews start to overwhelm the negative reviews.
rushmore223 is offline  
Old 02-26-04, 03:47 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
funkyryno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,813
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think word of mouth plus all the negative reviews might keep a lot of people away. Personally, I think I might get a little bored of watching an extended torture scene. I'll wait til it comes out on DVD.
funkyryno is offline  
Old 02-26-04, 03:56 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 638
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was (thankfully) glad to see that the torture was not THAT extended. And what torture there was, you were given a break through flashbacks. It was uncomfortable, true. But after seeing it, I don't think this is the end all of gore movies.
Teremei is offline  
Old 02-26-04, 03:58 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 638
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And I personally liked it. The word I would spread about this movie is good word. Give it over the weekend. You might be suprised by the actual "word" that is spread about this movie.
Teremei is offline  
Old 02-26-04, 04:19 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 1,831
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This movie is not for everyone. There are some people who would get nothing out of it *cough* *cough*.

I think a movie buff should see this movie, though. Has some interesting techniques. And very effective ones too.
jarofclay73 is offline  
Old 02-26-04, 10:01 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: The Ozarks
Posts: 270
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm seeing this Friday, so I can't give an actual opinion of the movie. However, I do believe it will have a multiple watchability factor with many. To many people, this will be a religious, personal, and very emotional experience. That goes beyond the entertainment experience. This will cause the movie to stay in the theaters for quite a while. I think it will surprise everyone how long it stays. On top of that, the video sales will be astronomical.

Why do you think Titanic did so well . . . the special effects? the love story? How about the historical significance as well as the emotional impact.

With "Passion" you're talking about millions of people's savior. Factor that in and you have a potential for the longest running as well as top grossing movie of all time (once all the numbers are in, domestically and internationally, of course.

By the way, remember that very sad movie, "The Omega Code." It grossed over 12 million!! One of the worst things I've ever tried to sit through, but it was "Christian."

Last edited by jwerner; 02-26-04 at 10:07 AM.
jwerner is offline  
Old 02-26-04, 11:38 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 953
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no issue with that it's a religious movie. A good story is a good story IMO...and I am very curious about it, but I refuse to see it based on principle.
Mel Gibson has lost his mind and is pandering to religious zealots, not movie fans...that's why I refuse to see it....curious or not.
Vegas9203 is offline  
Old 02-26-04, 12:02 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: WBB
Posts: 442
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My question is:

Should we have a sub-forum for this movie?

This movie has had more threads started about it than LOTR did a couple of months ago.
Gyno Rhino is offline  
Old 02-26-04, 12:56 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 688
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by jwerner
I'm seeing this Friday, so I can't give an actual opinion of the movie. However, I do believe it will have a multiple watchability factor with many. To many people, this will be a religious, personal, and very emotional experience. That goes beyond the entertainment experience. This will cause the movie to stay in the theaters for quite a while. I think it will surprise everyone how long it stays. On top of that, the video sales will be astronomical.

Why do you think Titanic did so well . . . the special effects? the love story? How about the historical significance as well as the emotional impact.

With "Passion" you're talking about millions of people's savior. Factor that in and you have a potential for the longest running as well as top grossing movie of all time (once all the numbers are in, domestically and internationally, of course.

By the way, remember that very sad movie, "The Omega Code." It grossed over 12 million!! One of the worst things I've ever tried to sit through, but it was "Christian."
Actually, that is an EXCELLENT point! The Omega Code did far more business than it probably deserved, I may have to rethink my projections for this film.

Now if the church had come out in condemnation of this film, then it would probably die after a couple weeks, but you might be making a very good point for this films longevity.
rushmore223 is offline  
Old 02-26-04, 01:36 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 58,108
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by funkyryno
Personally, I think I might get a little bored of watching an extended torture scene. DVD.
So Jesus can endure it for you, but you can't endure it for him?

Michael Corvin is offline  
Old 02-26-04, 01:43 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Posts: 54,199
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
So Jesus can endure it for you, but you can't endure it for him?

No kidding, don't F$#@ with jesus man!
Jackskeleton is offline  
Old 02-26-04, 02:29 PM
  #12  
Admin Emeritus
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Texas, our Texas! All hail the mighty state!
Posts: 12,842
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread is about how much money the movie's made. This discussion can go there, too.

http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....hreadid=349457
Static Cling is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.