Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Green Hornet - Seth Rogen (January 2011)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Green Hornet - Seth Rogen (January 2011)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-04, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't know if he can handle it. I read the proposed script for Superman Lives by Smith, and it was the biggest puddle of diarrhea to which I've ever subjected my eyes. I remember hearing that he had a lot of unwanted influence on that script, so perhaps I'm being too harsh on him.
Old 02-18-04, 03:31 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The qoute sounds like it should have been: "I always said I'd never do one, based on my limited experience writing on 'Superman' and having to answer to the studio, the producer, the comics company and eventually a director," Smith said. "Then there's a fandom that gets up in arms if you even try to stray from their character. But, they gave me some phat cash so here I am."

j/k I love Kevin Smith, I hope he does this one justice. I used to collect the comics that were out like 12 or so years ago. He should get bruce willis for the hornet and jackie chan for kato!
Old 02-18-04, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No matter what, I will at least check it out when it comes to DVD. Why? Because after seeing the Fantastic Four movie, NO superhero movie is bad, not even the Hulk.

I honestly think this could work, though. Mainly because Kevin Smith is a fan himself, and I think that's important in making a good comic book movie. If you get Hollywood types who don't know the first thing about comics, you're going to get all these changes to the characters that piss everybody off and a script that isn't true to the original comic at all. Even if it misses the mark, it's still going to be a thousand times better than anything a Hollywood committee could make.

Last edited by calhoun07; 02-18-04 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-18-04, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
For some reason, I'd rather see a Green Lantern movie from Kevin with Jason Lee as Guy Gardner.
Old 02-18-04, 05:18 PM

I will freely admit Smith's style hasn't been very exciting visually thus far, but we're talking about someone who hasn't made a real action/adventure film, let alone a superhero film. There wasn't a need for the type of visuals and direction many of you are talking about in dialogue-driven comedies. I don't think you can really judge what he's capable of doing when making this type of movie, since he hasn't done anything like it yet. I for one will be interested to see what he'll do with this.
Old 02-18-04, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Originally posted by Inverse
Smith has it backwards. The Green Hornet wasn't Batman before there was Batman. During the 60s he was Batman after there was Batman--his TV show was rushed out by the Batman producers to cash in on the superhero craze.

During the 30s the Hornet was the Shadow after there was the Shadow: again, he was rushed out to cash in on a craze for mysterious pulp heroes. He's always been a second string character, following in someone else's footsteps.

Now there's another superhero boom, and woo, big surprise, someone has resurrected the Green Hornet.
Just to clarify things, when The Green Hornet (ostensibly, a modernized version / spin-off of The Lone Ranger) debuted on January 31, 1936, The Shadow wasn’t on the radio (it had been canceled the previous year). So, while The Green Hornet may have been cashing in on a pulp hero craze, it wasn’t cashing in on a pulp hero on radio craze. Since The Shadow returned to radio (with Orson Welles as the lead) on September 26, 1937, one could argue that The Shadow radio show was cashing in on The Green Hornet's popularity.
Old 02-19-04, 09:20 AM

The key thing is that the Shadow was a extraordinarily popular as a pulp character ever since he first appeared in magazines in 1931. When the creators of the Lone Ranger went to create the Hornet, they took several elements of the pulp Shadow--the alternate identity as a wealthy man, the mysterious nighttime setting, the vigilante with the law on his tail, etc. To this they added the mask and exotic sidekick from the Lone Ranger.

So the Hornet wasn't following in another character's footsteps ... he was following in *two* characters footsteps instead.
Old 02-19-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I got $20 that says Affleck plays the Hornet.

Either him or Jason Mewes...
Old 02-19-04, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
I got $20 that says Affleck plays the Hornet.

Either him or Jason Mewes...
I'll take that bet. I say neither plays the GH.
Old 02-19-04, 05:39 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Groucho
I guess this means no Fletch Won.
Still going to happen -- just a year later.
Old 03-18-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...lm_hornet_dc_1

Color Gyllenhaal 'Green' for Superhero Film?
Thu Mar 18,12:42 AM ET Add Movies - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Chris Gardner

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Kevin Smith is zeroing in on an actor to jump into the "Green Hornet" suit.

The filmmaker -- currently prepping for the March 26 release of "Jersey Girl," starring Ben Affleck and Liv Tyler -- has met with Jake Gyllenhaal about taking the title role in the Miramax project, sources confirmed.

Thanks to a positive chat with the actor about the famed character and the direction of the potential franchise, Smith is now interested in casting Gyllenhaal as the crime-fighting superhero who also doubles as Daily Sentinel publisher Britt Reid.

Other names may still be in the mix, but sources said Gyllenhaal appears to fit Smith's current conception of the character. If all works out, it would be Gyllenhaal's second brush with a superhero suit: He had been put on standby to step in as Peter Parker/Spider-Man last year when, for a brief time, it looked as if Tobey Maguire (news) might be exiting the Sony franchise.

Gyllenhaal, whose credits include "October Sky" and "The Good Girl," next stars in director Roland Emmerich's apocalyptic thriller "The Day After Tomorrow," set for a May 28 release via Fox.

Hmm.. seems kinda young to play Britt Reid.

Last edited by devilshalo; 03-18-04 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-18-04, 05:26 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Kevin Smith's "The Green Hornet": The Talkiest, Chattiest Comic Book Movie Ever (with the fewest camera moves)!

Well, at least he's a fan. And he did write the Green Arrow comic for a bit - so at least he knows how to write for superheros that have the word "green" in their name.
Old 02-28-05, 10:49 AM
Banned

According to darkhorizons.com Kevin Smith dropped out of doing The Green Hornet.
Old 02-28-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Without commenting on his writing ability (of which I am a huge fan) Kevin Smith has the visual stylings of a 1st year film student. Anyone ever listen to the Dogma SE commentary where he was gonna do a huge "John Woo" sequence with Matt Damon and the Mooby board? He was basically scared to move the camera.
Old 02-28-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by Slow Hands
According to darkhorizons.com Kevin Smith dropped out of doing The Green Hornet.
A week or two ago, in an interview on Newsarama, Smith said he had dropped out of directing it, but they were still using his script.
Old 02-28-05, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

dude needs to get off the re-make/reference everything from his childhood. I'm really starting to get annoyed with all this shit.
Old 02-28-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

was hoping for this one....wanted to see what he could do with a movie outside of jan and bob....and affleck....
Old 02-28-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
was hoping for this one....wanted to see what he could do with a movie outside of jan and bob....and affleck....
Old 02-28-05, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

that is exactly what i meant
Old 02-28-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Morf
he said "jan and bob" -- you can't leave out bob

Old 02-28-05, 04:25 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

looking forward to bashing this one for months. will make a good addition to the book of reviews I'm writing, "Bad Movies I've Never Seen"
Old 02-28-05, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: the Black Beauty angle, Miramax was asking for a $35 million ad campaign as a requirement for the car chosen to be used in the film:

http://print.google.com/print/doc?articleid=cLZIXDpv4yC

This story is from May 2003; I found a couple of stories with later datelines but they were re-hashes of the same info.
Old 02-28-05, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Kevin's an incredibly talented writer (that's a fact, not opinion)
I'm gonna go ahead and dispute that claim. It's absolutely not a fact that he's an incredibly talented writer. He is good at writing quippy dialogue filled with pop-culture references, but he has no fucking clue how to write real people and real situations - and by real I mean plausable. I'll attribute this to him growing up not knowing any real people or living any real situations.

WRT this movie, I'm interested to see how it turns out because Green Hornet is one of my favorite heros, but I have a feeling he will fuck it up. I actually would put money down that his script will get rejected by Miramax or more likely his rough cut will get scrapped and reshot with a different director or else shelved.
Old 02-28-05, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Trigger
I actually would put money down that his script will get rejected by Miramax or more likely his rough cut will get scrapped and reshot with a different director or else shelved.
Well, Smith isn't directing this film anyway.
Old 02-28-05, 08:46 PM
Banned

I think Smith stopped writing a script for it too.

In an update at ViewAskew, Kevin Smith talked a little bit about the "Green Hornet" adaptation which he pulled out of directing a few months back (and has finally, officially confirmed leaving). Smith said "We can't reference the Lone Ranger in the flick, because Miramax only has the rights to the Green Hornet, not the Lone Ranger. There is a third generation in the flick (well, second, since we can't reference the first gen, the Lone Ranger)".

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.