Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Butterfly Effect: Too realistic for moviegoers?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Butterfly Effect: Too realistic for moviegoers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-04, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also just watched it (and posted about it on the DVD Talk Forum) and really enjoyed it. While having Ashton Kutcher in it definitely was not a selling point to me, the thing that caused me to skip it in theatres was that it was apparently on the shelf so long. Typically, that is the kiss of death for movies.
Old 07-11-04, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just watched this on Friday (the DC) and was stunned at how much I enjoyed it. I thought the acting was very good and particularly liked the young Evan. There were times when I sort of forgot
Spoiler:
that it wasn't really the adult Evan in the young Evan's body
and that is not the type of thing that I usually let slip buy me . . . but his performance had me completely buying into it.

Unfortunately because it was a 2-day rental, I didnt have time to watch the theatrical version. Anyone care to "spoiler" the differences between the two for me?
Old 07-11-04, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Unfortunately because it was a 2-day rental, I didnt have time to watch the theatrical version. Anyone car to "spoiler" the differences between the two?
In the theatrical version:
Spoiler:
Evan starts the film projector and it's footage of when Evan first met Kayleigh when they were children. Evan goes up to Kayleigh and tells her that if she tries to talk to him, that he'll kill her mother. Kayleigh runs away crying to her mother as Evan knows what he has done means that he'll never see her again. Kayleigh and Tommy go off to live with their mom instead of their dad and live successful lives as Lenny and Evan turn out "normal" and go to college together. Years later in New York, Evan is walking down the street and bumps into Kayleigh. Evan realizes that it's Kayleigh and just walks away.
Old 07-11-04, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
In the theatrical version:
Spoiler:
Evan starts the film projector and it's footage of when Evan first met Kayleigh when they were children. Evan goes up to Kayleigh and tells her that if she tries to talk to him, that he'll kill her mother. Kayleigh runs away crying to her mother as Evan knows what he has done means that he'll never see her again. Kayleigh and Tommy go off to live with their mom instead of their dad and live successful lives as Lenny and Evan turn out "normal" and go to college together. Years later in New York, Evan is walking down the street and bumps into Kayleigh. Evan realizes that it's Kayleigh and just walks away.
Thanks, Matt . . .

Based on that, I think I like the way the DC turns out. Someday I'll watch the original for comparison.
Old 07-12-04, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by mdc3000
Probably hasn't even seen the flick. I was one of the people who really liked this flick in the theatre and the Director's Cut is awesome. I love the additional scenes...but in all honesty, I think I liked the Theatrical Ending better... it's less... um... I don't know... it wasn't that I was put off by the director's cut ending, it's just, with the additional scenes, it was so telegraphed before hand. STill a great flick which I will definitely watch a few times and am really glad to have in my collection.
that's pretty much how I felt about the DC ending... too telegraphed. I did like both endings and versions though - i think i'll probably show people the theatrical cut however.
Old 07-12-04, 07:38 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Tarantino
You took the time to research that? Just to prove something to someone that wasn't even talking to you?
I didn't have to research it. I read the other thread, and then happened to read this one next. The irony was too much for me not to notice.
Old 07-12-04, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I rented this from Netflix to see the Director's Cut ( I saw it in theatres already) and was suprised thay they apparently get a different pressing of the movie made just for them because the disc wasnt a flipper to be able to see the Theatrical version.
Old 07-12-04, 11:17 AM
Zee

This was such an odd movie-watching experience for me. I rented it the other night, and from the beginning was pretty impressed with the production values...the sound, especially. Every time Evan "went back," my entire living room shook, it was amazing.

The first quarter of the movie or so was also nicely done, I thought. I have a lot of tolerance for violence in movies and an especially strong stomach, but I found myself audibly gasping again and again during the initial flashback sequence. They sure packed plenty of punches into the first twenty minutes or so...however, I also wasn't impressed with the child acting (except for the young Tommy, which I guess I'm alone in), particularly the youngest Evan. Every time we saw the kids again after the first long set of flashbacks, the movie lost something for me.

My biggest problem with the movie is that Evan's character is never actually established. It seems like we only get to know him for a few minutes before he goes back for the first time, and then he's someone completely different (and in panic/stress mode for the rest of the movie). I thought Kutcher did a nice enough job with the material he had...all he had to do, really, was look scared out of his mind the entire film. The other adult actors were fine, save for Evan's mother. Smart is a bit wooden, but again, her material wasn't all that wonderful.

I guess I was also disappointed in how broad the changes that Evan made were. "The Butterfly Effect" is in reference to how something extremely small--the crushing of a simple butterfly, for example--could change the course of the future. The things that Evan change were such gigantic events in his life that it made it easy to predict how things would be different...I was hoping that the differences in the flashbacks would be more subtle, so that the changes in the present would have more of an impact.

Nonetheless, I enjoyed the movie (mostly because my home theater system loved it). I would recommend it for its entertainment-value, but it is still extremely flawed in performance, pacing, and execution of character development and plot. Worth the rental, at least.
Old 07-12-04, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Evan Treborn

Evant Reborn
Old 07-13-04, 09:39 PM

Evan Treborn

Evant Reborn
interesting observation....any thoughts on this

I just watched this tonight(directors cut) and thought it was really well done and original. I have always been fascinated by movies that deal with time and consequences and how small decisions can greatly affect the course of ones life.

I checked out the original ending too and I definately prefer the DC version. I especially liked the way they allude to Evan's mothers' other children that died in her womb might have actually done what He did and prevented their own births to make the problems of the grandfather and the father after him die with THEM. (Now THAT is a run on sentence).

Anyone else get that same impression from the DC ending?
Old 07-13-04, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by cortan
I checked out the original ending too and I definately prefer the DC version. I especially liked the way they allude to Evan's mothers' other children that died in her womb might have actually done what He did and prevented their own births to make the problems of the grandfather and the father after him die with THEM. (Now THAT is a run on sentence).

I actually hadn't made that connection, but I like it as an option. Good catch!
Old 07-13-04, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 132 Posts
Evan Treborn

Evant Reborn
Damn, didn't catch that.............good stuff
Old 07-14-04, 12:12 AM

Damn, all this talk is making me want to see the DC now!
Old 07-14-04, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I haven't seen "That 70's Show" in years and I didn't see this movie in theaters. So when I rented The Butterfly Effect, I popped in the director's cut.

It started out TERRIBLE - such a rushed setup with cliched actions - but eventually righted its course. Ashton wasn't bad at all - I was surprised! I found the ending to be quite fitting.

Evan Treborn

Evant Reborn
The IMDb trivia's great, isn't it?

Old 07-15-04, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by harosa
I rented this from Netflix to see the Director's Cut ( I saw it in theatres already) and was suprised thay they apparently get a different pressing of the movie made just for them because the disc wasnt a flipper to be able to see the Theatrical version.
Check out the infinifilm part, it has the ending of the theatrical in chapter 55 or so.
Old 07-16-04, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

wathced the theatrical ending tonight............thank god they put out the directors cut, the "happy go lucky ending" sucked.
Old 07-16-04, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
****Spoilers ahead, son!*****

Originally posted by cortan

It had certainly crossed my mind - in fact, I thought perhaps the glaring mistake of the number of stillborn children was intentional to this effect... When his mother is telling him about the stillbirths, she says there were two before him... but as he's killing himself in her womb and we hear him going through events in his mind and they replay what she says to him - only this time she says there were three stillborn children before him... making him number four instead of number three. It could be a continuity error, but it's a pretty big one to make unintentionally.
Old 07-16-04, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
****Spoilers ahead, son!*****

It had certainly crossed my mind - in fact, I thought perhaps the glaring mistake of the number of stillborn children was intentional to this effect... When his mother is telling him about the stillbirths, she says there were two before him... but as he's killing himself in her womb and we hear him going through events in his mind and they replay what she says to him - only this time she says there were three stillborn children before him... making him number four instead of number three. It could be a continuity error, but it's a pretty big one to make unintentionally.
Didn't catch that but it sounds very interesting, I will have to go back and check it out.
Old 07-16-04, 06:19 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I prefered the original ending actually, kinda left the story open in a way (even though the DC was pretty good).
Old 07-16-04, 07:45 PM

Originally posted by talemyn
Thanks, Matt . . .

Based on that, I think I like the way the DC turns out. Someday I'll watch the original for comparison.
Yeah, thanks for the info too. I saw the DC myself and was wondering how the theatrical ended up too.

I think I liked the way the DC ended turns out too. Kinda gives a theory why the 1st 2 pregancies also ended up in still births. Perhaps all of the father's childern had Ashton's special ability and once did live their own lives, but in the end they all figure out that never existing is better for everyone so they erase themselves from history (i.e. DC ending)

Then I promptly put in Back to the Future Part 3 and hummed "Back in Time."

Last edited by cross; 07-16-04 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-17-04, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 168 Likes on 120 Posts
Have to say the DC was a better ending for me, too.
Old 07-17-04, 02:10 PM

The problem I have with the movie, both versions is the assumption that Haily and her brother would be alright simply without evan. That is the way it turned out to be, but with Evan gone, a lot more would change and they would still have a sick POS father.
Old 07-17-04, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Verbal Gorilla
The problem I have with the movie, both versions is the assumption that Haily and her brother would be alright simply without evan. That is the way it turned out to be, but with Evan gone, a lot more would change and they would still have a sick POS father.
You are correct to a point:

Spoiler:
but the whole point is that with Evan not around, the whole basement thing would have never happened thus eliminating all the horrible things that followed. Also, If you noticed, Kayleigh left her Father before Evan finally went back for her (and before he changed anything) and we knew Tommy was still messed up as well with the message he left for Evan after he visited Kayleigh and she killed herself. It was more of a statement that the children had strong minds and somewhat dealt with all the shit they went through when they were kids (i.e. adjusting to trauma) but of course, all it took was for Evan to return and remind Kayleigh of the past (which she could not handle anymore and may have eventually lead to her killing herself even without Evan coming back to remind her). Then we get to Evan being erased from the picture: the basement is gone, Tommy and Kayleigh grow up with their Mother instead of their Father and life works out better for them.
Old 07-18-04, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just caught this tonight, another from me.

A few questions for anyone that might know (*SPOILERS*):

1) I was lead to believe that Evan's brain trauma was caused by the flushing of old and adding of new memories (or something to that affect). But after the theatrical ending it appears he had no ill effects of the time travel at all. Is there something I missed, or is his dain still bramaged?

2) The doctor told him that everything was in his mind- the time travel, the alternate futures he had (personally I think I would have liked this ending, that he created all these worlds in his head as a way of dealing with killing the girl). I was under the impression that he lost all of his memories of the other alternate lifes and gained the memories he would have had every time he "jumped". If this is the case he wouldn't have known about the alternate worlds to tell the doctor. Am I missing something else here, or just looking too deep into it?
Old 07-18-04, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hopefully he lost the memories in the alternate lives, because
Spoiler:
there's no way I'd want to remember being anally raped in a prison shower
!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.