Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Just some personal thoughts on Star Wars

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Just some personal thoughts on Star Wars

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm not sure if Vader ever does see C3PO in ESB. I remember looking for the scenes, but I don't think they happen in ESB.
Old 02-16-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are there any good websites that explore the behind the scenes stories of Star Wars? I never knew the ewoks were supposed to be wookiees.
Old 02-16-04, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by who me?
Are there any good websites that explore the behind the scenes stories of Star Wars? I never knew the ewoks were supposed to be wookiees.
Yep, there was also supposed to be a big battle on the surface of Yavin.

I have a question; The Massasi(sp.) Temple used as a set in ANH on Yavin, what was this structure originally? I always thought this looked great but never knew where it was filmed.
Old 02-16-04, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Patman
I'm not sure if Vader ever does see C3PO in ESB. I remember looking for the scenes, but I don't think they happen in ESB.
Carbination chamber. Vader is with fett about to freeze han. Chewie with C3PO's pieces on his back makes a angery uprise and fett picks up his gun to shoot. Vader puts it down and chewie is then brought down by han talking to him before he gets frozen.

Maybe looking to deep into this, but if you want to mention any time when Vader actually see's the driods, it's that time. You point out the many different times Vader actually see's c3PO and let's try to dissect them.
Old 02-16-04, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by who me?
www.theforce.net
Old 02-16-04, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
geez, talk about telling him to look for a needle in a hay stack.

Though I must admit, theforce.net has been my favorite SW sites for some time now.
Old 02-16-04, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton

Though I must admit, theforce.net has been my favorite SW sites for some time now.
yea i know, i'm just too lazy to dig. good info on that site
Old 02-16-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Patman
There is an issue of Star Wars Tales comic published by Dark horse comics that actually told a behind-the-scenes story of Vader seeing C-3PO, taking place during Empire on Bespin.
Basically Vader goes to Han and Leia's quarters on Bespin and an Imperial Officer asks what they should do with the Droids remains (destroying them is implied). Vader looks at the parts, picks up 3PO's head and a flashback is shown of him as Young Anakin building 3PO. Afterwards, he simply says "Take it to the Wookie" because at this time Chewie is in the holding cell. Or something to that effect. I can't remember exactly or the issue number, but you might find it on Dark Horse's website. I know there is a Star Wars Tales wallpaper of the scene on the site.

http://www.darkhorse.com/zones/starw...ds.php?did=146

Last edited by DarthVong; 02-16-04 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-16-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DarthVong
There is an issue of Star Wars Tales comic published by Dark horse comics that actually told a behind-the-scenes story of Vader seeing C-3PO, taking place during Empire on Bespin.
Basically Vader goes to Han and Leia's quarters on Bespin and an Imperial Officer asks what they should do with the Droids remains (destroying them is implied). Vader looks at the parts, picks up 3PO's head and a flashback is shown of him as Young Anakin building 3PO. Afterwards, he simply says "Take it to the Wookie" because at this time Chewie is in the holding cell. Or something to that effect. I can't remember exactly or the issue number, but you might find it on Dark Horse's website. I know there is a Star Wars Tales wallpaper of the scene on the site.

http://www.darkhorse.com/zones/starw...ds.php?did=146
Sounds like a scene Lucas could add to ESB with CGI if he really wanted to for the 2005 ultimate editions. However, being this is in a comic book, is it really considered "canon?"
Old 02-16-04, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
why?
So he built the driod which seems to be a generic model type as we have seen walking around in the back ground of Episode I (server driod on the trade federation ship) and in ANH (seems to be the general translator model). Perhaps he was building him to better help watto in the space shop as a translator.
I'll jump in here for a bit. Actually, if you wanna extend that, he didn't even FINISH 3PO. Someone else did. Some of the first rumors before Ep2 said that it was Padme who finishes him, while he was out doing his Tusken Massacre thing. But anyway, if you imagine Anakin/Vader's mindset at the end of Ep3, I think remembering something that he didn't even finish when he was a kid wouldn't be a big deal considering the ass kicking obi wan gives him.
Old 02-16-04, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by calhoun07
Sounds like a scene Lucas could add to ESB with CGI if he really wanted to for the 2005 ultimate editions. However, being this is in a comic book, is it really considered "canon?"
Well, all stories written for the comics or novels have to be approved by Lucasfilm, Ltd. I'm sure George is kept up-to-date as to what is planned. So I would say it is canon, unless George says otherwise.

I remember when I read the short story in the comic it fit nicely into the film, and it made sense as to why they would put 3PO into the holding cell along with the prisoners (Chewie, Han and Leia)

The issue number is 6 btw. I just re-read it. I was pretty close in describing the events. Check it out if you get a chance

Last edited by DarthVong; 02-16-04 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-16-04, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's been awhile since I've been the theforce.net in addition to yakface and rebelscum. Just thought there would be some place that documented just the inside stories. Guess not.
Old 02-16-04, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by DarthVong
Well, all stories written for the comics or novels have to be approved by Lucasfilm, Ltd. I'm sure George is kept up-to-date as to what is planned. So I would say it is canon, unless George says otherwise.

I remember when I read the short story in the comic it fit nicely into the film, and it made sense as to why they would put 3PO into the holding cell along with the prisoners (Chewie, Han and Leia)

The issue number is 6 btw. I just re-read it. I was pretty close in describing the events. Check it out if you get a chance
Just because it has lucas stamp seal of approval doesn't make it anymore canon. Lucas has already stated that only the movies stand on their own as canon. The books, comics, etc. is just something extra for the fans, but are seperate and not canon. Only what's on screen matters.
Old 02-16-04, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
I'll jump in here for a bit. Actually, if you wanna extend that, he didn't even FINISH 3PO. Someone else did. Some of the first rumors before Ep2 said that it was Padme who finishes him, while he was out doing his Tusken Massacre thing. But anyway, if you imagine Anakin/Vader's mindset at the end of Ep3, I think remembering something that he didn't even finish when he was a kid wouldn't be a big deal considering the ass kicking obi wan gives him.
i thought they show Anakin immediately recognizing 3P0 by voice as soon as they meet outside the Lars homestead?

and anyway i think its been established that droids all have unique voices- they don't all sound like Anthony Daniels.
what makes it even stupider than Vader not recoginizing him is that Lars doesn't.
here is a man that has spent conisderable time with the machine in a setting where there are very few distractions beyond work and basic living, and is more or less a full grown adult at the time of his experience with this droid.
owen was the one that needed the memory wipe for this not to be a gaping plot hole.

Last edited by ckolchak; 02-16-04 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-17-04, 02:01 AM

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

everyone should get this book. the original 3 drafts of star wars were nothing like the fourth draft, which is the movie we see. i bought it on half.com for like 3 dollars and it came signed by the author!

it has the screenplays for each ot movie and between lines tells about the alternate versions from drafts, plus includes comments by lucas and others. also includes special edition changes. it also explains alot about the journal of whils.
Old 02-17-04, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by ckolchak
i thought they show Anakin immediately recognizing 3P0 by voice as soon as they meet outside the Lars homestead?

and anyway i think its been established that droids all have unique voices- they don't all sound like Anthony Daniels.
what makes it even stupider than Vader not recoginizing him is that Lars doesn't.
here is a man that has spent conisderable time with the machine in a setting where there are very few distractions beyond work and basic living, and is more or less a full grown adult at the time of his experience with this droid.
owen was the one that needed the memory wipe for this not to be a gaping plot hole.

Perhaps he doesn't want Luke to turn out like his father.... like he goes on about throughout the film till his death. Of course he might have just been through so many driods being a hard working moisture farmer that names elude him and what not. who knows. who cares? It's a freak'n driod.
Old 02-17-04, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't deny that. I was talking about Episode 4-6, which is waaay waaaay after Obi Wan gives him an ass-kicking so hard he had to be on life support for the rest of the time.

A friend of mine actually has a theory about this. He says that if you watch closely, Owen *does* recognize 3PO. That's why he keeps on cutting him off during the "interview" scene in Star Wars. He doesn't want Luke to hear anything that might give him more ideas than he already has. And after Luke tells him that one of them mentioned Ben/Obi-Wan, what does he ask Luke to do? Memory wipes. Take that as you will, but I think he has a point.

Last edited by Kal-El; 02-17-04 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-17-04, 11:00 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Just some personal thoughts on Star Wars

Originally posted by mikewendt
I might be imagining things but there have been some interesting, possible "foreshadowing" interactions between Obi-Wan and Chewbacca in Ep. IV.
Care to elaborate? I'm curious what you mean.

It does seem that Ben and Chewbacca know each other, but that's not surprising within the context of the first film.

Spoiler for Ep. 3:
Spoiler:
Chewbacca does appear, and this may establish their relationship.
Old 02-17-04, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
A friend of mine actually has a theory about this. He says that if you watch closely, Owen *does* recognize 3PO.
I think that's stretching. There's no way George Lucas told the actor "By the way, you've seen this droid before as a young man, he even worked for you." Just admit that Lucas is making it up as he goes along.
Old 02-17-04, 02:33 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What about R2, I'm sure he's witnessed a lot of things, you'd would of thought he would of told 3P0 a thing or two.
Old 02-17-04, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

actually I think R2's memory was not erased while C3PO's was. It seems in ANH R2 knows a lot more about whats going on than C3PO. "What makes you think there are settlements over there?", "He's looking for a former master of his Obi Wan Kenobi" or something like that.

Sure you can nitpick about the continuity with the original trilogy, but you can also nitpic in ANH as well.

case in point.... Luke "I'm here with BEN Kenobie" when he rescues Leia. How is Leia supposed to know who Ben is.

So just quit complaining and enjoy the movies.
Old 02-18-04, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by cactusoly

Sure you can nitpick about the continuity with the original trilogy, but you can also nitpic in ANH as well.

case in point.... Luke "I'm here with BEN Kenobie" when he rescues Leia. How is Leia supposed to know who Ben is.

So just quit complaining and enjoy the movies.
She sent a message to OBI WAN Kenobie for help and some kid shows up with BEN Kenobie offering to rescue her. Let's give her a little credit that she could realize the significance of this.

This is most definitely not a plot hole.

Characters can think and reason even if they dont do it out loud so we can hear it all.
Old 02-18-04, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by kcbrett5
She sent a message to OBI WAN Kenobie for help and some kid shows up with BEN Kenobie offering to rescue her. Let's give her a little credit that she could realize the significance of this.

This is most definitely not a plot hole.

Characters can think and reason even if they dont do it out loud so we can hear it all.
Then again, maybe Kenobie is a name like Smith and it could have been anybody.
Old 02-18-04, 01:51 PM

You guys stole the extra "E" at the end of "Wookiee" and added it to "Kenobi."
Old 02-19-04, 05:03 PM
Banned

It could be said that Lars does recognize C-3PO in the sense that he instantly recognizes his purpose: "You must be programed for etiquette and protocal." He clearly has had experience with this "type" of droid before.

I agree that it would appear that C-3PO gets a mind wipe but not R2D2 "What makes you think there's settlements over there."

Now about Vader recognizing C-3PO:

1. Droids in the style of C-3PO are common. We see identical units in Ep. 1 (on the Trade Federation command ship), Ep. 4 (on the rebel blockade runner), and Ep. 5 (in Cloud City).

2. Vader and C-3PO are only in one scene together throughout the entire original trilogy, the Carbon Freeze room on Cloud City. In this scene C-3PO is in pieces and riding around on the back of Chewbaccaa. Vader and Chewie are pretty far apart in a crowded room filled with CO2 gas.

3. Unless they come face to face in Ep. 3, the last time Vader/Annakin saw C-3PO was in Ep. 2 where he had dark coverings, not the shiny ones of Eps. 4-6

Furthermore, C-3PO remains blissfully ignorant of Anakins identity as Vader. He "switches off" in Ep. 4 when Obi-Wan talks about Vader.

On another note, when Obi-Wan goes to the Cantina the first person he approaches is Chewbacaa who then leeds them to Han Solo, so a viewer could read into it that they had a previous history

Last edited by Pants; 02-19-04 at 05:07 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.