Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you plan to see "Passion of Chirst'?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Do you plan to see "Passion of Christ"?
Yes, in the theater
63.18%
No
16.97%
I'll wait for DVD
13.36%
Not sure yet
6.50%
Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

Do you plan to see "Passion of Chirst'?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-04, 12:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this movie is made only for religious people...least thats most certainly the strong impression I got from the Mel interview last night...and I'm an atheist...so I will probably see it when all the hype calms down...if I see it at all...if nothing else it looks beautiful...
Old 02-17-04, 12:06 PM

Yes, I know that it is being released with subtitles. I said "that he wanted (past tense) to release it without subtitles" and that I admire the idea, although it is no longer a part of the film.
Old 02-17-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes I will be seeing the movie in the theater.

The news outlets are the only ones making this into a problem, no one is going to protest the movie and I no not know of one person who thinks the movie should never have been made. They keep asking Mel the same questions over and over again. The news media just looks silly everytime they do this.
Old 02-17-04, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
I think this movie is made only for religious people...least thats most certainly the strong impression I got from the Mel interview last night...and I'm an atheist...so I will probably see it when all the hype calms down...if I see it at all...if nothing else it looks beautiful...
I'm not religous.

You're missing the point.
Old 02-17-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Iron_Giant
Yes I will be seeing the movie in the theater.

The news outlets are the only ones making this into a problem, no one is going to protest the movie and I no not know of one person who thinks the movie should never have been made. They keep asking Mel the same questions over and over again. The news media just looks silly everytime they do this.
Bullshit. Gibson has been milking this for all it's worth. He started going on TV (specifically Fox News) to defend the movie months ago before anyone even started talking about it.
Old 02-17-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

ya know...before that interview with Mel last night...I was pretty psyched to see it...but honestly...now...I'm not...I think I might just watch Last Temptation of Christ again instead...I mean whats the point of a movie that has no real end or beginning and is part of no bigger movie...like one of the priests or whoever said in the interview "the movie goes: Jesus is persecuted...crucified...and dies and we learn nothing"
Mel addressed this in the interview. He said he filmed only part of the whole story, the part he wanted to focus on. The point is if you want more of the story, read it in the Bible for yourself and draw your own interpretations.
Old 02-17-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by funkyryno
I'm agnostic. I'm not sure if I'll see this movie.
Same here. But being an agnostic doesn't stop me from enjoying good movie, no matter what the movie's about.
Old 02-17-04, 07:25 PM
Banned

Originally posted by taa455
Mel addressed this in the interview. He said he filmed only part of the whole story, the part he wanted to focus on. The point is if you want more of the story, read it in the Bible for yourself and draw your own interpretations.
Well what if Peter Jackson only filmed Fellowship of the Ring and not Two Towers and Return of the King? Wouldnt make for a very pleasing experience now would it...
Old 02-17-04, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I recommend you read some of the Bible and learn about Jesus, he can be one heck of guy when you're feeling down in the dumps.
Old 02-17-04, 07:47 PM

Well what if Peter Jackson only filmed Fellowship of the Ring and not Two Towers and Return of the King? Wouldnt make for a very pleasing experience now would it...
Sometimes I'm a little slow to catch on, but was this meant to be sarcastic?
Old 02-17-04, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 700 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
I recommend you read some of the Bible and learn about Jesus, he can be one heck of guy when you're feeling down in the dumps.
That may be true, but he and his brother were terrible on American Idol tonight...
Old 02-17-04, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
That may be true, but he and his brother were terrible on American Idol tonight...

Old 02-18-04, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The feel good movie of the year.
I wonder if this movie will have the same feel/style as Braveheart ?
Old 02-18-04, 04:47 AM
Banned

no it wasnt meant to be sarcastic...

I recommend you not push your crap on me! I've read bits and its the most arrogent...pompous BOOK!

I'm not religous.

You're missing the point.
So just cause Im NOT religious I missed the point? Yeah that makes sense bud...if thats the way the film is then I dont want to see it...
Old 02-18-04, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by ILikeDVD
The feel good movie of the year.
I wonder if this movie will have the same feel/style as Braveheart ?
I highly doubt it.
Old 02-18-04, 10:16 AM

So just cause Im NOT religious I missed the point? Yeah that makes sense bud...if thats the way the film is then I dont want to see it...
No, you're missing the point again.

I was stating that I am not religious either, but am excited to see the film. The film is made for non-religious people as well.
Old 02-18-04, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by BRIAN 1972
True. I have no interest in movies that are not based on my beliefs. To this day I have still not seen Star Wars (i mean, what the hell is a "wookie"? total B.S., man...B.S.)
Man, have you ever left yourself open for this one.
Old 02-18-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recommend you not push your crap on me! I've read bits and its the most arrogent...pompous BOOK!

Ok.. I'm confused. You were psyched about seeing the movie based on event from an arrogant and pompous book?

You want Mel to tell the whole story of Jesus and think it's wrong to only tell part, when you have only read "bits" of it yourself?
Old 02-18-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

If you were God, you might be a little arrogant too.
Or, at the very least you'd probably be able to spell arrogant correctly.
Old 02-18-04, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I was at Costco and overheard 2 guys in their 50s talk about "The Passion of the Christ".

Guy 1 asks "Are you going to see that movie, the one about the crucifixion?"

Guy 2 said "Oh yeah! ... I hear it's pretty brutal. It's suppose to start next week I think"

I was just surprised to overhear such a conversation at a Costco, no less. Perhaps I've underestimated the public's awareness of this film opening next week.
Old 02-18-04, 10:17 PM

I believe I will see the film and try to understand why people are so gung-ho on religion, and maybe I can understand why millions have been massacred in the name of religion (read religion) throughout time...

Despite what my belief is, I find it essential to understand religion, since it is surrounds me and affects me daily...
Old 02-18-04, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by DVD Smurf
I believe I will see the film and try to understand why people are so gung-ho on religion, and maybe I can understand why millions have been massacred in the name of religion (read religion) throughout time...

Despite what my belief is, I find it essential to understand religion, since it is surrounds me and affects me daily...
[Are off-topic comments allowed in a thread like this?]

Good idea.

My beliefs are rather simple. Without God, or an afterlife, what else is there? Please don't think of me as harsh, but... If you're so sure that God doesn't exist, that there is no afterlife, why not, uh, kill yourself? What do you have to lose? Lost memories (I think I just stole that from a movie)? Do you think that you feel pain, guilt, or remorse while rotting in the ground; if that is all you do? Why do you desire to exist?

As for carrying out war in God's name... I think the 13th Apostle, Rufus, said it best. Something like 'God gets angry at all the shit that gets carried out in his name'. I think that God is a hippie, not a war mongrul.

Oh, and I'm going to see this film. Probably opening night. I think I'll see the last showing. I have a feeling that a lot of old people will be at the early evening shows. If not old people, you know it's going to be dem' church-going ladies that wear way too much stinky perfume. You know who you are.
Old 02-18-04, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by troystiffler

My beliefs are rather simple. Without God, or an afterlife, what else is there?
This, my one and only life. And at this time on Earth, more than 6 billion other lives.
Please don't think of me as harsh, but... If you're so sure that God doesn't exist, that there is no afterlife, why not, uh, kill yourself? What do you have to lose? ...
Uh, my life, which I happen to value rather highly.

I don't think of you as harsh, just lacking in understanding of what people who think differently than you might value.

You seem to be saying we must believe in god and an afterlife because otherwise none of this matters. I couldn't disagree with you more.

And if these things don't exist (as I believe), do you think any amount of wishing on my part or anyone else's would make them exist?
...I think that God is a hippie, not a war mongrul.
What is a war mongrul?

Last edited by movielib; 02-18-04 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-19-04, 12:10 AM

QuiGonJosh I think you need to really check yourself. if you dont like the bible good, but dont keep calling it stupid and all this other immature crap.

anyways I will be going to see it and prolly three more times after that.
Old 02-19-04, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by movielib
Uh, my life, which I happen to value rather highly.
Why do you attach yourself to something that has no outcome? Or at least no outcome that you'll never know. Your life could be over before you finish reading this message. You won't have a moment to reflect. What difference would it make to you? If there's nothing afterwards, what's the point? Why do you value life?

Can you concieve non-existance? It's, well, nothing-ness. Well, to be exact, it's not even that. Assuming that there is nothing else... ultimately, you will not care what happened in your life...trust me. You won't have memories of people you loved, or expierences you felt.

You, and the whole world can wish. But I didn't feel the need to wish. I wouldn't even consider my faith to be a mindset. It's just something that's deep inside. I didn't look for signs, or a justification for a reason to believe. I haven't gone through some life changing expierence. It really just swiftly came to me... Looking back, it feels though it was some sort of reward for living a very clean, Christian lifestyle.

From there, I began to understand that material needs don't mean much. And I decided that I won't let material things consume me. I'm currently learning more about pain, which is starting to not matter, either. Heck, without a friendship with Christ, I'd be inclined to shave my head, move to Tibet, and become a monk.

War mongrul? Hmph. I think it was something that I picked up out of a movie, or something. Something along the lines of 'someone who feels like war will something'. Please do pardon my vocabulary.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.