Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Simpsons movie confirmed (with tentative date)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Simpsons movie confirmed (with tentative date)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-07, 01:34 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
Has there ever been a theatrical movie of a TV show that was still on the air when the film was made and released? I can only think of X-files.
A lot of british TV series. But then there could be years between seasons for them.
Old 07-05-07, 09:17 PM

The theory on the TV show to movie route is that the movie should be good because the creators have more time to work on it, most tv shows are shot in 8 days, for example, and they often do 10-12 in a row. Although I'm not sure how valid this will be with the Simpsons since the production cycle for an animated series is measured in months anyway.

But that was the theory on the MST3K movie, they were actually able to rewrite the jokes a few more times. And it is actually better than an average MST3k episode, imo, if only because it seems more consistent throughout.

The other bonus, so to speak, is that the budgets are a lot larger, but again, I'm not sure that this will matter on the Simpsons since I'm sure the basic animation is the same...

The negative on it is that since it usually occurs near the end of the run of a series, they have probably exhausted a lot of the creativity at that point.Unfortunately, there is a possibility of that with the Simpsons, since it is hard to imagine that with over 400 episodes in the can, that they haven't done just about everything possible..
Old 07-10-07, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

sweet, Vermont won

Cowabunga, Vermonters! Roll out the red carpet for Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie!

Springfield, Vt. has been chosen to host “The Simpsons Movie” July 21 premiere — beating out 13 other Springfields from around the country for the honor.

Voters chose Vermont's Springfield through an on-line contest to host the premiere of the movie version of the long running animated sitcom. A team from across the Vermont, working with the Springfield Regional Chamber of Commerce and the Vermont Film Commission produced the video, which featured a play off the introduction to each Simpsons episode.

A running joke in “The Simpsons” series is that the show takes place in a town called Springfield, but the state is never identified. The 14 Springfields which entered the contest to host the premiere made videos showing that their Springfield is the true Springfield where The Simpsons live.

The creative team included Burlington's Tim Kavanagh, Doug Guy of Springfield, Patty Chaffee of the Springfield Regional Chamber of Commerce and Brock Rutter of the Vermont Film Commission

"Other Springfields had built in constituencies -- people who would vote for them because it's their home state," said Brock Rutter, Associate Director of Vermont Film Commission. "Obviously we were glad for the great in-state support we got, but Vermont's a small state, and we wouldn't have won if we hadn't had the best video."

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a.../70710032/1009
Old 07-14-07, 03:22 PM

Review of the soundtrack, ha. Interesting, Alf Clausen did NOT do the music(nor Danny Elfman for that matter), instead they hired Hans Zimmer.

http://www.soundtrack.net/features/article/?id=239

I like the song titles "Why Does Everything I Whip Leave Me?" , "World's Fattest Fertilizer Salesman", and "His Big Fat Butt Could Shield Us All"
Old 07-14-07, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by misterchimpy
The negative on it is that since it usually occurs near the end of the run of a series, they have probably exhausted a lot of the creativity at that point.Unfortunately, there is a possibility of that with the Simpsons, since it is hard to imagine that with over 400 episodes in the can, that they haven't done just about everything possible..
The one thing that gives me hope with reagards to your point is that they brought back nearly everyone who has ever worked on the show to contribute. Hopefully that will make it a lot better and not a mishmash of tone & style.
Old 07-14-07, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So the full Spider-Pig scene is on MySpace now:

The Simpsons Movie - Spider Pig
<embed src="http://lads.myspace.com/videos/myspacetv_vplayer0005.swf" flashvars="m=12995490&type=video" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="430" height="346"></embed>
Add to My Profile | More Videos
Old 07-14-07, 07:50 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Originally Posted by slop101
Has there ever been a theatrical movie of a TV show that was still on the air when the film was made and released? I can only think of X-files.

To add to the others that other people have mentioned, "The Powerpuff Girls" and "SpongeBob Squarepants."
Old 07-14-07, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did the Beavis & Butt-Head movie come out during the TV show run?
Old 07-17-07, 10:33 PM

FYI, Matt Groening will be on the Daily Show tomorrow night, July 18 or in reruns on the 19th...
Old 07-18-07, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll look out for that as I'm sure that runs on digital channel "More4" in the UK (The Daily Show with Jon Stewart).
Old 07-19-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
How many 7-11s are Kwik-E-Marts? Is there a list?
We hit the "transformed" Kwik-E-Mart on 63rd St in Chicago on Saturday. Fun times. Actually had to wait in a short line to get in (an employee at the door: "how many?")

Bought a Sour Apple Squishee, a box o' Krusty-O's, a Radioactive Man comic and a Comic Book Guy bobblehead. Took a bunch of pictures, too, which seemed sort of weird considering it's just a convenience store.

Old 08-13-07, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What happened at the very start of The Simpsons movie?

I saw it at a drivein, arriving about five minutes before it was supposed to start - but they started it early. I saw this old guy (grandpa?) on the floor of a church, why was he on the floor and mumbling something?

As for the movie itself, it was OK but way too short.
Old 08-18-07, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Did the Beavis & Butt-Head movie come out during the TV show run?
The last episode ran on November 28th, 1997 (coincidentally on my birthday, thus the recollection), so the movie came out while the show was still on TV (late 1996). It's too bad that there was no Simpsons movie when the show was at the height of it's power (Seasons 3 thru 7 IMO).
Old 08-18-07, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I don't see why folks think that it's a shame that it didn't come out during the height of its power. I would imagine that it would have just caused the show to go down hill quickly. You would have writers spread thin with dealing with the movie and the regular season.
Old 08-18-07, 12:02 PM

True, but I actually would have been interested back then as opposed to having no interest now.
Old 09-05-07, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I finally saw this over the weekend and was unimpressed. None of the edge of funniness of early Simpsons episodes, which I was expecting because somn old writers came back to do the script.
Old 09-05-07, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,966 Likes on 1,523 Posts
I was watching the commentary on the Camp Krusty episode on DVD (season 3, I think) where they mention that Fox wanted them to make that premise into a movie instead of an episode (they then said they barely had enough to fill out an episode). So I guess they always planned on having a movie (or maybe a direct to DVD release) from very early on. No idea why they "saved" it until now.
Old 09-06-07, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kamp Krusty is Season 4 (I think). They first started talking about a movie idea around 1992 or something.
Old 09-06-07, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 209 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
I was watching the commentary on the Camp Krusty episode on DVD (season 3, I think) where they mention that Fox wanted them to make that premise into a movie instead of an episode (they then said they barely had enough to fill out an episode). So I guess they always planned on having a movie (or maybe a direct to DVD release) from very early on. No idea why they "saved" it until now.
I attended a Motion Picture and Television event after the first season that had all the creative folks there for Q&A and one of the questions was about a movie, and they said then, that there would be one.
Old 09-29-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Simpsons Movie - 4.25/5

Again, really enjoyed it. In some ways even funnier, as I spotted things I missed

"You have so many looks!"

EPA man: Sir, I think you have gone mad with power
Ross: Of course I have. Have you ever tried going mad WITHOUT power? It's boring. No listens to you.

Lovejoy: I want you all to confess to something...
Homer (points at Flanders): GAY GAY GAY GAY...

The chilli induced Spider-Pig scene is hilarious.

Spider-Pig
Spider-Pig
Does whatever a Spider-Pig does
Can he swing
From a thread
No he can't
He's a pig

Last edited by grim_tales; 09-29-07 at 12:15 PM.