Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you ever feel like "I'm not buying it" in a movie?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Do you ever feel like "I'm not buying it" in a movie?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 484 Likes on 320 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
No kidding. I can just see P.T. Anderson writing the script: "I love the whole idea of an estranged father dying of cancer that I'll use it not in just one storyline, but TWO!"
I thought this was done in order to link the two men together. To contast one of them being forgiven before they die and the other not.
Old 02-06-04, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Originally posted by jaeufraser
I didn't go into detail...in that section Heath Ledger's girl and her family are herded into a church and burned alive. The movie was just so poor IMO, and so lacking in the dramatic punch the film thought it had (god it wanted to be Braveheart SOOOO badly) that I was happy to see these ridiculous one dimensional, goofy and melodramatic characters die. Such an act in a film like this should be quite disturbing and emotional. The fact I was just happy to see these people die and get off the damn screen just points to my dislike of this poor movie.

Ok fair enough.

I really like the movie but I can see your point.
Old 02-06-04, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Tomb Raider movies.

Hopefully we won't see anymore after Crade of Life bombed.
Old 02-06-04, 12:46 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The biggest one for me is Deep Impact. I wasn't necessary enjoying the movie, but I wasn't hating it either. Until it got to the scene where
Spoiler:
the team of astronauts one by one say goodbye to their families for the last time via video
. That was the most painfully sappy piece of crap scene I've ever seen. People complain about Bruce Willis' last scene in Armageddon, but this is that scene replayed four or five times consecutively! It just gets worse from there. Tea Leone and her dad, Frodo on his moped, all supposed to be high emotional moments. I was too busy laughing my ass off and getting angry looks from nearby girls who were crying into their tissues. Bah.

Second worst is John Q. They try to make a statement, but the silly melodrama in the ER with cliched characters, the way-too-obvious 10th grade-level debates masquerading as dialogue, and the over-the-top villainizing of Ray Liotta and Anne Heche's characters destroy any message they are trying to get across.
Old 02-06-04, 02:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Do you ever feel like "I'm not buying it" in a movie?

Originally posted by lesterlong
Now, I'm not talking about technical things in movies like blowing up an asteroid with a nuke. I'm talking about dramatic films. You go see a movie that's supposed to be taken pretty seriously and the movie just tries too hard to be great when it isn't. This really doesn't happen too much but 2 movies come to mind We Were Soldiers and Cold Mountain. We Were Soldiers because the movie had to throw in ridiculous unnecessary comments about racism and the fact that Chris Klein sucks. Cold Mountain because there pretty much was no story and none of the characters knew what they wanted and because the villain pretty much had zero development.

I felt the exact way while watching Seabiscuit.
Old 02-06-04, 02:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Re: Do you ever feel like "I'm not buying it" in a movie?

Originally posted by jayson1017
I felt the exact way while watching Seabiscuit.
the problem with Seabiscuit was that the story took no chances, the progression of the story and characters was painfully predictable. It was a fail safe cliche ridden Hollywood movie. Sure the cinematography and racing scenes were expertly filmed, but everything else seemed like an afterthought to the filmmakers.
Old 02-06-04, 03:31 PM
Banned

Pearl Harbor! I sat through hours of this turd to watch the airplane fight and what a farce!

So I’m to believe that every pilot, American and Japanese fly like normal people and the love triangle dudes are Waldo Pepper and Han Solo. I can’t believe I waited through that flick for that terrible battle scene.
I don’t usually use the term “wasted 2 hours of my life” because I can usually be entertained by something in a bad movie, but not with this one

(And there was still an hour to go! I never got a disc out of my player faster than that one.)
Old 02-06-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Really didn't like "Thin Red Line" very much. Waaay too intellectual for a movie about Guadalcanal. Especially for the general enlisted men IMO (compare it to the book for instance).

I saw another movie about Guadalcanal on TCM a few weeks ago that seemed considerably more "realistic" comparably speaking - though the name escapes me offhand. Had a good jungle juice making scene though.
Old 02-06-04, 04:03 PM
Banned

Originally posted by movielib

Every character in Requiem for a Dream, Ellen Burstyn particularly. No one with a cerebral cortex is that stupid.
Do you think most drug addicts are walking around at the top of their game?

This movie conveys what it's like to experience drug addiction, and I think it did an excellent job.
Old 02-06-04, 04:16 PM
Banned

Originally posted by sundog
Magnolia also purports to be about different people. But everyone was entrenched in UTTER DESPAIR AND LOATHING. Yawn. Variation on a theme helps. Really, it does.
But the "utter despair and loathing" ****s up their lives in different ways. There is plenty of variety in each character. The psychosis overlapped, while examining the various ways in which dysfunctional people interact in our society.

Originally posted by Groucho
Magnolia tells us it's going to be about remarkable coincidence, but suddenly abandons that premise as soon as the marvelous introduction ends.
There is remarkable coincidence in the various characters and the ways their relationships and lives unfold, which is the point of the movie..

Does anyone here even know what the premise of this movie is? What this "coincidence" is that Anderson is talking about?
Old 02-06-04, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any David Lynch film, especially Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive.
Old 02-06-04, 05:51 PM
veritasredux

Originally posted by CUBuffsMike41
But the "utter despair and loathing" ****s up their lives in different ways. There is plenty of variety in each character. The psychosis overlapped, while examining the various ways in which dysfunctional people interact in our society.

There is remarkable coincidence in the various characters and the ways their relationships and lives unfold, which is the point of the movie..

Does anyone here even know what the premise of this movie is? What this "coincidence" is that Anderson is talking about?
Apparently no one else gets the movie. Sorry.

Anderson's self-indulgent filmmaking habits aside, the coincidence intro was necessary if for no other reason than to set up the frogs.
Old 02-06-04, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by CUBuffsMike41
Do you think most drug addicts are walking around at the top of their game?

This movie conveys what it's like to experience drug addiction, and I think it did an excellent job.
Almost as good as Reefer Madness.
Old 02-06-04, 06:33 PM
Banned

As soon as I read this thread I thought of Cold Mountain.

What a dud.
Old 02-07-04, 08:11 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hating to contribute to the lashing "Mystic River" is receiving in this thread, but... I would have to say Kevin Bacon's wife frequently calling and saying nothing was a little much for me.
Old 02-07-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes. I see very few movies at the theatre, so I choose based on some very strict criteria, usually, it's a movie that I anticipate loving. Well, that was not the case for Cold Mountain...that's one I'll have to skip. Everything else that I've seen this year is on my wish list to buy.
Old 02-07-04, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Punch Drunk Love.... most irritating, fulsome movie that tries to be something that it is not. It is so insipid that I almost wanted to turn off the DVD player (and would have if I wasn't watching it with my friends).

And Underworld, tried too hard to be like Romeo & Juliet with social commentary of racism and what not. Turns out to be just a bore-fest with very little credibility in ANY of the characters.
Old 08-25-04, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen

I'm so easy with my suspension of disbelief, but The Human Stain asked far too much of me. I'm sure Coleman's secret works fine it the book, but in the movie I wasn't buying it. [/B]
I watched this movie last night, and I couldnt believe how much they were asking me to suspend my disbelief. The main "twist" just blew me away. Like I cannot believe they even tried to pull that off.
Old 08-25-04, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Friday The 13th

Come on, how does Jason catch up with these people he's chasing, when they are running for their lives and he's simply walking?
Old 08-25-04, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked the film 'Requiem for a dream' but agree that the Ellen Burstyn character comes off in the 'I'm not buying it' way. In the book I thought it was much more effective and 'you get more into the characters head' with her constant mindset of needing and wanting to be 'thin'. In the film obviously it's done over a very short time period and is less believable because of it.
Old 08-25-04, 09:32 AM
Banned

Robin Wright Penn and Gary Sinise stole this movie from Hanks. It's message: Act like a dumbass and you'll be OK in life. As Janeane Garofalo once said, a movie only Tom Hanks/ Meg Ryan/ Dave Mathews Band fans could love.

Most disgusting, one-dimenional jingoistic piece of shit I've seen in recent years.

Insulting piece of garbage.

Pretty entertaining movie. Plays more like a guy's fantasy than a convincing drama however, the dialogues are the typically strained Kevin Smith diatribes and Affleck's next-to-final scene with Adams and Lee where he makes his request is one of the stupidest turns for a seemingly intelligent character in recent memory.

Last edited by Rivero; 08-25-04 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-25-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: The Patriot

Originally posted by Rivero
Most disgusting, one-dimenional jingoistic piece of shit I've seen in recent years.
Describes my impression of the movie to the letter. It's still on my shit list and I despise you for resurrecting it from my vault of repressed memories.
Old 08-25-04, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Most movies that baffle me with the actions of the characters or outrageous developments at least distance me from the story enough to examine any possible subtext or at least glean a more instinctual response.

Usually this allows me to enjoy the film on a more forgiving level, at times it actually makes the work more interesting, and those few times my opinion of the film skyrockets and I consider it exceptional.
Old 08-25-04, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pretty much all of One Flew Over the Cookoo's Nest struck me as over simplified and obvious, particularly its treatment of mental illness (none of which is actually real according to the movie, it's just the reaction of sane people to, like, The Man, man). Nurse Ratched is too one-note and one dimensional to be anything resembling human. It amazes me that people love this movie so much or find it revelatory. Manipulative and shallow post-Vietnam hippy-dippy claptrap, if you ask me.
Old 08-25-04, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Moonlight Mile, Brotherhood of the Wolf, The Village

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.