Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Gibson to delete scene in 'The Passion of The Christ'

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Gibson to delete scene in 'The Passion of The Christ'

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-04, 05:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by dave-o
Thank god someone brought this up, I mean after 2000 years of opression and hatred, its about time "Anti-German sentiment" has been exposed for whta it is. Nice analogy though...
Yeah...cause only people who have had it bad for a long time deserve protection from opression and hatred. I kicked a Gypsy the other day cause those guys steal everything...They better be able to take a few hundrend more years of it for them to be worth anything.
Old 02-17-04, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Verbal Gorilla
Yeah...cause only people who have had it bad for a long time deserve protection from opression and hatred. I kicked a Gypsy the other day cause those guys steal everything...They better be able to take a few hundrend more years of it for them to be worth anything.
My mistake, I didn't realize the German poeple were currently being oppressed and hated...
Old 02-18-04, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How in the hellfire do you know this. Gibson has admitted reading some of her stuff. That in no way says that he included ANY of it or was even influenced by it at all...Your conclusion is spinning the truth greatly.
Before Gibson launched his most recent spin-control, he was often quoted as saying that his film relied heavily on her writings. It's amazing how much he's willing to contradict himself just to whore his movie and spread his "version" of the truth.
Old 02-18-04, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by dave-o
My mistake, I didn't realize the German poeple were currently being oppressed and hated...

Since your point was about preventing future hatred and oppression occuring based on a negitve film portrayal of a small group....Being oppressed in the past has nothing to do with it. There are tons of groups who have it on a whole a lot worse than Jews, who are not opressed and hated. Like I said, Gypsies have it horrible, but we don't need disclamiers when we show two Gypsies who happen to be bad.
Old 02-18-04, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by Peep
Before Gibson launched his most recent spin-control, he was often quoted as saying that his film relied heavily on her writings. It's amazing how much he's willing to contradict himself just to whore his movie and spread his "version" of the truth.
Again, please post a link or source. I have been following this saga for awhile and I don't remember ever hearing this. Combined with a google search that provided zero direct quotes...I have a feeling this is propaganda.
Old 02-19-04, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Again, please post a link or source. I have been following this saga for awhile and I don't remember ever hearing this. Combined with a google search that provided zero direct quotes...I have a feeling this is propaganda.
Congrats to you, you figured me out. I'm just part of the Satanic "dark forces" gathering against Mel.

Hey, just because you ran some lame-ass google searches hardly makes you an expert on the subject. And just because you haven't found something on the internet doesn't mean it's untrue. I've been following this project since before Mel began filming it and most of the early information I read I saw in printed publications. If I knew how Mel would change his tune over time, I certainly would have documented his original comments more thoroughly.

Try searching for these terms: "Gibson" and "Dolorous Passion of Our Lord". I bet you find a lot of references of how Mel based his movie on the Gospel and "The Dolorous Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ" (the diaries of St. Anne Catherine Emmerich). I know I did.

Also, I did go back to some of my earlier postings and found a reference to a March 9th, 2003 story in the New York Times. In it, Christopher Noxon quotes Gary Giuffre, a close friend of Mel's and a founder of the traditionalist St. Jude Chapel in Texas. Giuffre said that Gibson told him about his plans for ‘The Passion’ on a recent visit. "It will graphically portray the intense suffering of Christ, perhaps as no film has done before. … Most important, he says, the film will lay the blame for the death of Christ where it belongs"
Old 02-19-04, 07:42 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
How in the hellfire do you know this. Gibson has admitted reading some of her stuff. That in no way says that he included ANY of it or was even influenced by it at all...Your conclusion is spinning the truth greatly.

Unless you have some source you wish to link to....
Why the attitude? I'm not trying to spin anything. Mel's mentioned it in several interviews, most recently the Diane Sawyer piece.
Old 02-19-04, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not sure how much this is related, but Mel's dad is out speaking about the Holocaust again:

NEW YORK (AFP) - One week before the US release of Mel Gibson (news)'s controversial movie, "The Passion of the Christ," the filmmaker's father has publicly reiterated claims that the Holocaust was exaggerated.

Hutton Gibson's comments, made in a telephone interview with New York radio talk show host Steve Feuerstein, come at an awkward time for the actor-director who has been trying to deflect criticism from Jewish groups that his film might inflame anti-Semitic sentiment.

In his interview on WSNR radio's "Speak Your Piece", to be broadcast Monday, Hutton Gibson, argued that many European Jews counted as death camp victims of the Nazi regime had in fact fled to countries like Australia and the United States.

"It's all -- maybe not all fiction -- but most of it is," he said, adding that the gas chambers and crematoria at camps like Auschwitz would not have been capable of exterminating so many people.

"Do you know what it takes to get rid of a dead body? To cremate it?" he said. "It takes a liter of petrol and 20 minutes. Now, six million of them? They (the Germans) did not have the gas to do it. That's why they lost the war."

Gibson's father had made similar claims in remarks published in a New York Times article in March last year.

In a television interview with Diane Sawyer that was broadcast Monday on the ABC network, Mel Gibson accused the Times of taking advantage of his father, and he warned Sawyer against broaching the subject again.

"He's my father. Gotta leave it alone Diane. Gotta leave it alone," Gibson said, while offering his own perspective on the Holocaust.

"Do I believe that there were concentration camps where defenseless and innocent Jews died cruelly under the Nazi regime? Of course I do; absolutely," he said. "It was an atrocity of monumental proportion."

During his lengthy radio interview, Hutton Gibson, 85, said Jews were out to create "one world religion and one world government" and outlined a conspiracy theory involving Jewish bankers, the US Federal Reserve (news - web sites) and the Vatican (news - web sites), among others.

"The Passion," which gets its US release on February 25, purports to be a faithful and graphic account of Christ's last 12 hours on earth.

Jewish leaders who have attended advance screenings have voiced concerns that its portrayal of the Jews' role in Christ's execution could stir up anti-Semitic feeling.

Gibson's father indicated that the controversy had largely benefitted the film, in terms of generating publicity.

"Mel says he absolutely couldn't buy PR like this," he said.
Old 02-19-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Since your point was about preventing future hatred and oppression occuring based on a negitve film portrayal of a small group....Being oppressed in the past has nothing to do with it. There are tons of groups who have it on a whole a lot worse than Jews, who are not opressed and hated. Like I said, Gypsies have it horrible, but we don't need disclamiers when we show two Gypsies who happen to be bad.
Actually, you missed the point. My point was not about preventing future hatred and oppression from occuring, my point was that the orignal analogy of having to place a diclaimer after films about Nazism was erroneous. It is erroneous because these are two completely different topics on so many levels that it should be obvious. Just as your analogy of a movie showing bad gypsies is also a false analogy on so many different levels, not the least of which is that based on historical events there are many instances of films and plays about this subject sparking a rise in anti-semitic acts. And you are absolutely incorrect if you think history "has nothing to do with it". History has everything to do with it as does the fact that their is presently a large amount of anti-semtism in the world. To take history out of the equation is to miss the point entirely. Your comment "There are tons of groups who have it on a whole a lot worse than Jews, who are not opressed and hated" simply baffles me. What does this have to do with anything? Are you suggesting that we begin to opress and hate these groups that have it worse? How can they have it worse if they are not opressed and hated? This type of statement is the equivalent of saying 'I have lots of friends who are Jewish...' and only serves to distract from the true debate.