Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Some sorta sweet news from MIRAMAX

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-30-04, 02:05 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in the LA times print ad for CITY OF GOD today, there is a black banner at the bottom with the title COMING SOON IN 2004

13 films are mentioned, including Kevin Smith's Jersey Girl, Quentin Tarantino's KILL BILL: VOL 2 and the two biggies ZHANG YIMOU'S OSCAR NOMINATED HERO and STEPHEN CHOW'S SHALOIN SOCCER

Sweet! SO hopefully Miramax will stick with this and we will get to see HERO and SHAOLIN SOCCER this year. (which is hilarious by the way)

other films included in this list are: I'M NOT SCARED, ELLA ENCHANTED, VALENTIN, ZATOICHI, BEST OF YOUTH, SHALL WE DANCE?, DEAR FRANKI, INFERNAL AFFAIRS, TWIN SISTERS.
Old 01-30-04, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the only reason to buy the miramax hero dvd is if it has dts, and has the prolouge and epilogue in english
Old 01-30-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Some sorta sweet news from MIRAMAX

Originally posted by whynotsmile
SHALOIN SOCCER
Well it's about flippin' time.
Seriously, Miramax should be barred from picking up the rights to movies just to sit on them.
Where's my Through The Olive Trees?
Old 01-30-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Same ad is in the NY Times.

I'd get excited if it weren't for the fact that Shaolin Soccer has been announced and unannounced so many times already ... I think this makes the third consecutive year that it has been on Miramax's schedule.
Old 01-30-04, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just because I have to own all KS films, I will pick up Jersey Girl when it hits DVD.

Will probably see it in the theatre, too; just to check it out. It's been a while.
Old 01-30-04, 08:05 PM

Any word on how edited Hero, Shaolin Soccer, and Zatoichi are going to be? Dubbed or subbed? etc...
Old 01-30-04, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Some sorta sweet news from MIRAMAX

Originally posted by whynotsmile
ZHANG YIMOU'S OSCAR NOMINATED HERO
What is the nomination for?
Old 01-30-04, 11:49 PM

It was nominated for Best Foreign Film, last year.

It should have also been nominated for best cinematography as the movie is quite possibly one of the most beautifully shot movies I've ever seen.
Old 01-31-04, 02:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Some sorta sweet news from MIRAMAX

Originally posted by whaaat
Seriously, Miramax should be barred from picking up the rights to movies just to sit on them.
Amen to that!
Old 01-31-04, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I just can't see any news about Miram-Axe releasing a foreign film being "sweet" when all they do is butcher them. I'm not gonna go see Shaolin Soccer or Hero (well, maybe - the jury is still out on that one for me) - I already have them on DVD in their original and intended form. When I get the longer cut of Hero on DVD, I'll rejoice... until then, Miramax can suck a lemon.
Old 01-31-04, 06:12 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

I heard from a friend who knows someone who met the weinsteins. according to him, they really are the spawns of satan.
Old 01-31-04, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hero will be the original theatrical cut, and subtitled, while shaulin soccer will either be a heavily edited PG rated dubbed version, or a slightly edited PG-13 version with subititles.
Old 01-31-04, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by TCG
I heard from a friend who knows someone who met the weinsteins. according to him, they really are the spawns of satan.

This news is very exciting though. I have never seen either film, and have heard many good things about them.
Old 01-31-04, 10:09 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Looking forward to

"I'm Not Scared"
"The Best of Youth"
"Zaitoichi"

I highly recommend "Infernal Affiars" caught this at the Palm Springs Film Fest and was very impressed. Part II is also excellent although it is not slated for release from Miramax, yet.
Old 01-31-04, 12:01 PM

Great news all around!
Old 01-31-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by TCG
HA!!! I knew it!!!
Old 01-31-04, 04:02 PM

After seeing Shaolin Soccer I'm a little confused about the fuss being made about it. I thought it was very average and I'm a huge fan of Hong Kong cinema. I'm looking forward to Hero coming out as it is very good.
Old 01-31-04, 04:13 PM
Banned

Is Shaolin Soccer gonna be subtitled...I hope so...
Old 02-01-04, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

nope... cut and dubbed and they CGd in some undies for the naked goalie.
Old 02-01-04, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 502 Likes on 355 Posts
The undies on the Goalie was only for the trailer according to sources who saw the cut/dubbed print.

However, that version won't be shown in theatres anyway. Miramax tested their cut/dubbed version in Ohio last August, and it failed horribly. Nobody liked it. Miramax then pulled Shaolin Soccer from its Fall schedule and said that they would release a subtitled version that would only have enough cuts to earn a PG-13 rating (so possibly no cuts at all). It's assumed that the release this Spring will be of that subtitled/PG-13 version of the film.

Last edited by Jay G.; 02-01-04 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-01-04, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

really?? But this is Miramax. Hmm... I'll wait and see then - I'd love to see an uncut subtitled version of this in theaters... and I'd go just to support it and get Miramax to realize that they shouldn't cut and dub movies.
Old 02-08-04, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally posted by Giles
Looking forward to

"I'm Not Scared"
"The Best of Youth"
"Zaitoichi"

I highly recommend "Infernal Affiars" caught this at the Palm Springs Film Fest and was very impressed. Part II is also excellent although it is not slated for release from Miramax, yet.
Haven't seen the first one yet, but I'm looking forward to the chance to see Infernal Affairs 2 on Singapore Airlines in a couple of weeks (woo!).

Still, just watched the trailer for Zatoichi -- Good gravy -- why couldn't Sony have picked this one up like CTHD or others -- someone please lay the smackdown on Miramax.
Old 02-08-04, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by Jay G.
The undies on the Goalie was only for the trailer according to sources who saw the cut/dubbed print.

However, that version won't be shown in theatres anyway. Miramax tested their cut/dubbed version in Ohio last August, and it failed horribly. Nobody liked it. Miramax then pulled Shaolin Soccer from its Fall schedule and said that they would release a subtitled version that would only have enough cuts to earn a PG-13 rating (so possibly no cuts at all). It's assumed that the release this Spring will be of that subtitled/PG-13 version of the film.
The cut version was screened for the press as well. It was a horrible hatchet job.
Old 02-08-04, 02:07 PM

The version of SHOLIN SOCCER I saw, a directors guild screening, was dubbed and DID feature male nudity (just the tush for a second)

The film was very tame, and could easily be a PG.

I actually really liked the movie dubbed. The dubbing was AWFUL and I thought it really added to the humor.

God damn this movie cracked me up. Lovers of bad cinema will rejoice when this is released.

So I guess I saw the "chopped" down version. Oh well. Its still great IMO
Old 02-08-04, 09:01 PM
Banned

Excellent news! makes me want to break out into song and dance, Shoalin Soccer style!

"Shoalin kung-fu is awesome"
"Yes, awesome"
"shoalin kung-fu is so cool"
"Yes, cool"

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.