Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

OMIGOD! Katherine Hepburn is Chinese! And other Ethnically Incorrect Films

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

OMIGOD! Katherine Hepburn is Chinese! And other Ethnically Incorrect Films

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-04, 10:34 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by mee2
Any Jewish actor portraing a caucasian.
What the heck? How about a caucasian protraying a Jew? (as in Once Upon A Time In America?)
Old 02-02-04, 10:40 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Back on topic: I forgot an obvious one: Joel Grey as Chiun in Remo Williams. He was actually pretty convincing in the role. He was nominated for a Golden Globe, and his makeup was nominated for the Oscar.
Old 02-02-04, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by baracine
Roger Ebert once admitted that he only read the "Classics Illustrated" comic book version of "The Count of Monte-Christo", on which he based his review, comic books being his forte. He let on that he he had read "A Beautiful Mind" when it turned out he only had read the dustjacket and therefore missed the entire point made by the film's detractors about its major inaccuracies. He never read "American Grotesque", the only true account of the Clay Shaw trial, before pronouncing that "JFK" was a great film even though it's a pack of lies. He dissed LOTR because it did not have enough eating scenes in it... The man is a walking post-literate full-frontal assault on the nation's reading skills. And I am trying to be kind.
Well, isn't my face red! I always thought he was reviewing the movies, not the books...
Old 02-02-04, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Roger Ebert once admitted that he only read the "Classics Illustrated" comic book version of "The Count of Monte-Christo", on which he based his review, comic books being his forte. He let on that he he had read "A Beautiful Mind" when it turned out he only had read the dustjacket and therefore missed the entire point made by the film's detractors about its major inaccuracies. He never read "American Grotesque", the only true account of the Clay Shaw trial, before pronouncing that "JFK" was a great film even though it's a pack of lies. He dissed LOTR because it did not have enough eating scenes in it... The man is a walking post-literate full-frontal assault on the nation's reading skills. And I am trying to be kind.
At least he watches an entire film before writing a review about it and slamming it, unlike some "well respected" Canadian journalists.
Old 02-02-04, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Any Jewish actor portraing a caucasian.
Caucasian --- The term - coined in 1775 by J.F. Blumenbach - applies to the chief races of Europe,
North Africa(!), and soutwest Asia(!).

. . . . . .
Old 02-02-04, 06:13 PM

I believe this thread has hit the bottom of the barrel, guys.
You have no idea how long it took me to think of something stupid to say in the spirit of this thread....
Old 02-02-04, 06:17 PM
Suspended

You have no idea how long it took me to think of something stupid to say in the spirit of this thread....
I am so relieved. Your threads should come with [sarcasm][/sarcasm] warnings...

Last edited by baracine; 02-02-04 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-02-04, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Uuum... Let's see, now... these people... http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0028944/awards
...this guy...http://www.epinions.com/content_75891904132
...and most of these guys...
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0028944/usercomments
... and, of course, these guys...
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0028944/ratings
Uuh, yah, and you realize most of those links go to opinions of WHITE PEOPLE, juding a film in a time when not many Asians were represented in film (there still aren't that many).
Old 02-02-04, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...the picture of Al Jolson in blackface, in The Jazz Singer, reminded me of a couple of other films that feature blackface:
- Bing Crosby as a bewhiskered wise old N*gr* in the 'Lincoln's Birthday' number in the movie Holiday Inn (1942)
- Joan Crawford in 'blackbody' doing the 'Two-Faced Woman' number in the Technicolored movie Torch Song (1953) - "...one of the most inept production numbers ever shot..."

...and then there is brownface:
- Tyrone Power as (Hindu) 'Major Rama Safti' in Fox's 1939 The Rains Came
- Richard Burton as (Hindu) 'Dr.(?) Safti' in Fox's 1955 CinemaScope remake, titled The Rains Of Ranchipur

...as for yellowface, there is yards and yards and yards of it in Hollywood films:
- Richard Barthelmes as Cheng Huan in the 1919(!) Broken Blossoms
- Edward G. Robinson as Wong Low Get in The Hatchet Man (1932)
- Peter Lorre as the Japanese sleuth Mr. Moto in no fewer that 7 movies between 1937 and 1939
- Bela Lugosi in The Mysterious Mr. Wong (1934)
- Boris Karloff in four Mr. Wong movies between 1938 and 1940
- Fred Astaire and lovely Lucille Bremer in the big Chinatown ballet in MGM's 1945/6 Ziegfeld Follies

...and on and on...

. . . . . .

Together we must rise to ever higher and higher platitudes.
Richard J. Daley, long-time mayor of Chicago
Old 02-03-04, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
Charles Bronson as an Indian Native-American in Chato's Land.
have to use tribe names dude, "native americans" are neither native nor american.

j
Old 02-03-04, 07:08 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Well, isn't my face red! I always thought he was reviewing the movies, not the books...
Yes, the man's body of work speaks for itself. I'm sure Mr. Ebert is toiling, as we speak, on the script of yet another ground-breaking sequel to Beneath the Valley of the Dolls (1970) or, possibly, the definitive film proving the innocence of O.J. Simpson, played by either Kevin Costner or Russell Crowe in blackface. Oliver Stone could direct.

Last edited by baracine; 02-03-04 at 07:18 AM.
Old 02-04-04, 09:41 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by mytzplyx
Uuh, yah, and you realize most of those links go to opinions of WHITE PEOPLE, juding a film in a time when not many Asians were represented in film (there still aren't that many).
(We were talking about The Good Earth.)

This is my last word on the subject. I'm watching that remarkable documentary on TV by PBS/BBC, Beyond the Color Line, and I'm reminded that the important thing to know about films like Dragon Seed and The Good Earth is that, in their time and in their own timid, awkward, yet extremely courageous way, these films were breaking down the race barrier for everybody and that they made a lot of Asian-Americans in the crowd feel better about themselves and opened the eyes of many white Americans to what was going on in the rest of the world, as I'm sure a "Life of Martin Luther King" would today for people of all colours, even if (or especially if) it happened to be played by all white actors.

Last edited by baracine; 02-04-04 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-04-04, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was reading earlier today that Spike Lee intends to make a grand film about Joe Louis, the fight between him and Max Schmelling, and the way it shook the world's political climate. Who does he want to play Joe?

Vin Diesel.

Vin never knew his dad, so he could be half black, I suppose. Hey, if Halle Berry can play a black person...

Yes, the man's body of work speaks for itself. I'm sure Mr. Ebert is toiling, as we speak, on the script of yet another ground-breaking sequel to Beneath the Valley of the Dolls (1970) or, possibly, the definitive film proving the innocence of O.J. Simpson, played by either Kevin Costner or Russell Crowe in blackface. Oliver Stone could direct.
Why is it anyone with a blind hatred of Roger Ebert brings up a film he wrote in his younger years, as if it is an accurate representation of his body of work and his knowledge of film? That's just lazy and tired.

If he does believe OJ is innocent, let him make a movie. If it turns out to be a damn good, entertaining film full of intrigue like JFK, great!

But let's be serious, dude. Kevin's too old for OJ. A film of this scope needs Heath Ledger!
Old 02-05-04, 07:24 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Why is it anyone with a blind hatred of Roger Ebert brings up a film he wrote in his younger years, as if it is an accurate representation of his body of work and his knowledge of film? That's just lazy and tired.
Oh, but he didn't stop there. Also check out:
Beneath the Valley of the Ultra-Vixens (1979) (as R. Hyde)
Up! (1976) (as Reinhold Timme)
... aka Over, Under and Up! (1976)
... aka Russ Meyer's Up (1976)
... aka Up! Smokey (1976)
Old 02-05-04, 08:19 AM
Banned

Don't forget Kerwin Mathews as an Arab in 7th Voyage of Sinbad.