Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Did anyone else see the 70mm Playtime in LA last night?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-04, 11:27 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...or are you going this weekend. It was amazing and the film is absolutely essential to see on the big screen. I don't think it works at all on a television. There's too much detail.

Edit: It's at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood
Old 01-23-04, 12:11 PM
Suspended

I had absolutely no idea Playtime was a 70 mm film. I have certainly never seen it that way (TV, video). So how was it? And what other films are on the program?
Old 01-23-04, 01:38 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I saw this last night, and it blew me away. I had seen M. Hulot's Holiday and Mon Oncle, and I enjoyed them both immensely, but neither could prepare me for the achievement that was Playtime. I actually own all three Criterion Hulot discs, but never got around to Playtime.

While Mon Oncle is generally considered the best of the Hulot films, I'd give it to Playtime, if only for the restaurant scenes and the travel agency. Those posters were sheer brilliance.

We should post these things before we go to see them, that way, if we want, we can converse about it in person with other DVDTalk members.

That being said, I am going to see Sleeping Beauty on Sunday. If anyone else is going, say so.
Old 01-23-04, 02:06 PM
Banned

Yeah, sorry I missed you Supermallet. I'm not going to any of the other 70mm this weekend.

Enjoy Sleeping Beauty! I saw it in 70 at the El Capitan a year ago and the colors nearly burn my eyes. It's just amazing!

Last edited by Pants; 01-23-04 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-23-04, 04:47 PM
Banned by request

I'm quite excited about Sleeping Beauty.

I saw an original technicolor print of Pinnochio, and talk about vivid colors. I was surprised the colors weren't permanently burned into the screen when it was over.
Old 02-26-04, 09:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
the 70mm print at the AFI Silver Theatre was downright amazing. The print was so clean, sharp and colorful that the film took on an almost 3D quality. You could almost sense that Jacques Tati's 'Monsieur Hulot' might stumble out of the screen.

Wow... wow!
Old 02-26-04, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

70MM Playtime...wow. I'd love to see that. The widescreen compositions in the movie are at least Kurosawa quality. Are they going to remaster the DVD? Should I sell my Criterion copy?
Old 02-26-04, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by Hiro11
Are they going to remaster the DVD? Should I sell my Criterion copy?
I was thinking that myself. I don't know what the print quality of the Criterion disc used, but the 70mm print is jaw dropping. In terms of the sound, the surround channels are practically non-existent, although the restored print does feature the front soundstage to spread across the left-center-right speakers. Is the Criterion disc in mono or two channel stereo?

I have to admit I had never seen this film before and I thought the restaurant scene was the standout part of the film - I don't think I have ever seen a movie where I smiled throughout the entire film.
Old 02-26-04, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Giles
I was thinking that myself. I don't know what the print quality of the Criterion disc used, but the 70mm print is jaw dropping. In terms of the sound, the surround channels are practically non-existent, although the restored print does feature the front soundstage to spread across the left-center-right speakers. Is the Criterion disc in mono or two channel stereo?
I think the disc is mono, I don't remember. The print quality is generally very good, with some frame damage here and there.

This movie was considered almost unreleasable when it was made. It's clear now that it was years ahead of its time, but it still hasn;t gotten the credit it deserves. It's a true masterpiece, IMO.
Old 02-26-04, 04:06 PM
Banned by request

Originally posted by Hiro11
I think the disc is mono, I don't remember. The print quality is generally very good, with some frame damage here and there.

This movie was considered almost unreleasable when it was made. It's clear now that it was years ahead of its time, but it still hasn;t gotten the credit it deserves. It's a true masterpiece, IMO.
My opinion may have been colored by seeing it in 70mm, but I think it's the best of the three Hulot films.
Old 02-27-04, 08:25 AM

Originally posted by Suprmallet
My opinion may have been colored by seeing it in 70mm, but I think it's the best of the three Hulot films.
and I am embarrased to admit I didn't realize this was a 'Hulot' film, until I did an IMDB search before seeing the film last Tuesday night. I remember my parents taking me to see the other two Hulot films (reissues) when I was a teenager and loving them - I really need to rewatch them.

PS - last week at the AFI, Washingtonians should definately not miss this.

Last edited by Giles; 02-27-04 at 08:27 AM.