Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Whats the most disturbing movie you've seen

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Whats the most disturbing movie you've seen

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-04, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visitor Q, Requiem For A Dream, or Irreversible, I think. Salo wasn't that disturbing to me, just gross (albeit an intersesting film).
Old 01-24-04, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For me it has to be Savior which is a very powerful and disturbing film about the utter hatred between the serbs and muslims in Bosnia! Dennis Quaid gives his best acting performance of his career in this film and I would highly recommend this little know film to anyone. One particular scene by a river (near the end of the film) is extremely disturbing!

Last edited by Frank S; 01-24-04 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-24-04, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by boc4ever
I am going to agree with:

Requiem for a Dream
Happiness

and add:

NIN "Broken Movie"

I have Broken Movie somewhere on VHS. I completely forgot about that one. Closest thing I've ever seen to a snuff film. Only watched it once.
Old 01-25-04, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally posted by TomOpus
I've been wanting to see this for awhile but couldn't find it. I just read in Rue Morgue magazine that Douglas Buck is releasing all 3 shorts, Cutting Moments, Home and the newer Prologue in a package called Family Portraits: A Trilogy of America. The article said you can get it at his website but when I checked, it wasn't available yet. Soon, I hope.
edit: just checked and it will be released in March
On DVD I presume? Great news. Will it be sold elsewhere, or only at Buck's website?

Cutting Moments easily wipes the floor with anything mentioned so far, but there are a few not yet cited that compare.
Old 01-25-04, 09:11 AM

Although it isn't on DVD, the most disturbing movie I've ever seen was "Spanking The Monkey."
Old 01-25-04, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anything on HBO with the word American UnderCover on it,docs about drugs,prison life,prostitute life etc.some disturbing stuff especially the one about the Hitman they called The IceMan,they did a doc on this cat and he killed over 100 people and he talks about in fine detail.

Movies dont shock or desturb me but if its real it can.
Old 01-25-04, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DVDHO
Movies dont shock or desturb me but if its real it can.
Old 01-25-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
Caligula -- When I first saw it in college, all of the rough stuff freaked me out, particularly the "lawn mower". But now, having just watched it 20 years later, it's much more tame and really quite boring.

But I'm still disturbed by Eraserhead
Old 01-25-04, 06:05 PM

Practically any film (This goes for westerns, especially) that features violence against women is disturbing for me. When Unforgiven opens with the woman getting her face slashed, I can't deal with it from there.
There was an old Candice Bergen movie on the other night where she got raped 3 times total in the first 30 mins or so (It was called The Hunting Party--Oddly enough like Unforgiven, it also stars Gene Hackman).

I don't even like Julia Roberts (Pretty Woman) or Geena Davis (Thelma & Louise), but I hated seeing them get brutalized, too.

The Possession of Joel Delaney gets a vote from me as one of the most disturbing films of all time.

I haven't even seen this new Ashton Kutcher film and it sounds extremely disturbing already.

Last edited by MGBGT; 01-28-04 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-26-04, 11:11 AM

It's hard for films to disturb me. I have a very strong separation between fiction and reality 'instinct'. I could watch Salo while eating chocolate pudding - It just doesnt affect me. The kinds of things that do disturb me are those that have a strong connection to reality - like the beginning of Saving Private Ryan. That movie made me want to be a better American. I supposed if I had been raped - Irreversible would affect me, or if I was a junkie - Requiem might affect me, but as it is, I have no personal connection thus no supension of disbelief.
Old 01-26-04, 03:04 PM

Good Burger. C'mon, somebody had to mention it!
Old 01-26-04, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally posted by randy1320
Good Burger. C'mon, somebody had to mention it!
:: shudder :: Man, I wish you hadn't mentioned that. Now I'm really gonna be disturbed.
Old 01-28-04, 08:45 PM

Also, any abuse against children is bad in films, notably Bastard Out of Carolina being the biggest offender.
I avoided seeing this for the longest time, and when I finally did, my worst fears about it were pretty much dead-on.
Doesn't take THAT much horrific detail to convince me that this is not how you treat a child.
Old 01-29-04, 09:39 AM
Suspended

To me, no question, Oliver Stone's JFK because it is a complete fabrication from start to finish. It glorifies a man (Jim Garrison) who was a corrupt small-town bully, tyrant, wife-beater, pedophile and gay-basher and gives vent to his insane megalomania, persecution complex and conspiracy theories. It also further victimizes an innocent man - who had mercifully passed away when the film was made - against whom Garrison had been unable to substantiate a single ounce of the innuendo, malicious lies and false accusations he charged him with and who was found innocent - twice!* - by a jury of his peers. Now that's disturbing!!! For the real story, read American Grotesque by James Kirkwood, a true account of the Clay Shaw trial in New Orleans.(* Not shown in the film)

A Beautiful Mind comes close because it is also a complete lie about a man whose mental condition was probably aggravated by the McCarthy era's persecution of gays, even though his homosexuality is never mentioned in the film. For a true account, read the book by Sylvia Nasar.

Last edited by baracine; 01-30-04 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-29-04, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by Cocopugg
I forgot to mention a little classic called ERASERHEAD. This is without a doubt the most disturbing film ever done by David Lynch. You'll find yourself getting very depressed while watching this movie, and more importantly, won't know why!

CP
Nonsense. Edgy, yes. If you got depressed watching Eraserhead you perhaps aren't ready for it. Boy what an elitist remark I just made ha ha.

Try being drunk or stoned while you watch it. It's out there.

PEACH
Old 01-29-04, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by The Exister
Mike Leigh's Naked comes to mind, but there are many more I can't remember.
I totally agree with you. Talk about gratuitously tearing apart someone's humanity with almost pathological indifference. I had forgot about that one.

PEACH
Old 01-30-04, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anything with child-abuse and rape is fairly disturbing to me ... but I have to say that Fear Factor can be very disturbing to me.

I know, FF isn't a movie ... i'm just referring to how disturbing the inevitable second "stunt" is. They've gotten worse and worse.
Eating all that gross crap like worms in sausage casings, fly-infested rotten squid, stamping on worms like a grape press and collecting the results in a cup and drinking it down ... jeez.

Movies are movies. Reality and knowing that someone is doing it right on the screen, no props or effects or computers, is another thing. Not to mention that I have a hard time swallowing vitamins makes it even worse.
Old 01-30-04, 09:21 AM

"Squel like a pig", when I first saw Deliverance I could not get that seen out of my head for weeks.

Also I would have to say Kids.