Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Possible for NewLine to do other prequels or sequels...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-04, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was posted over at comingsoon.net. I knew about the legal
entaglements surrounding The Hobbit, but I find it interesting
that they have rights to do other stories (with Peter Jackson of
course ).

Meanwhile, what about The Hobbit, Tolkien's own precursor to "The Lord of the Rings"? New Line has production rights although the situation is complicated by MGM/UA's distribution ownership. "There's a reasonable possibility that we can negotiate an arrangement," New Line co-chairman Bob Shaye says. The studio also has the rights to create its own original prequel or sequel to "The Lord of the Rings," but would pursue the projects only if Jackson would be involved again.
Jason
Old 01-20-04, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Doing the Hobbit - great idea.

Doing prequel movie based on the rise of Sauron, early numenorians, etc - great idea.

Doing a "sequel", meaning events after the end of the third age - very bad idea.
Old 01-20-04, 10:15 PM

are there any books (unfinished tales, etc) by tolkien that deal with post third age, aside from the appendix?
Old 01-21-04, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Snowlarbear
are there any books (unfinished tales, etc) by tolkien that deal with post third age, aside from the appendix?
No. Nor should there be. The Middle-earth of the Fourth Age is, from Tolkien's vision, our world. He had no desire to reinterpret real history. He only desired to create a mythical pre-history for England.
Old 01-21-04, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by RoboDad
No. Nor should there be. The Middle-earth of the Fourth Age is, from Tolkien's vision, our world. He had no desire to reinterpret real history. He only desired to create a mythical pre-history for England.
In his letters, Tolkien said that we are in the beginning of the seventh age. He said this after WWII, which probbaly means that one or both of the World Wars marked the end of the sixth age.
Old 01-21-04, 08:00 AM

I hope they don't make a sequel.
Old 01-21-04, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by Jason
Doing prequel movie based on the rise of Sauron, early numenorians, etc - great idea.
I'd never thought about this before. The way I figured it, to adapt the whole of The Silmarillion in movie form would require at least 5 movies... but just the rise and fall of Numenor (interspersed with stuff about Sauron and the rings in Middle-earth) could be done in one. I'm not sure it would be worth making on its own, though.

EDIT: After thinking about this some more, while I still think it'd be pointless on its own, I can see plenty of reason to do this before attempting to film the earlier parts of The Silmarillion. Other than Galadriel and Celeborn possibly making an appearance earlier (which wouldn't be entirely necessary), this would be the only part that features characters from Lord of the Rings - Isildur, Eldrond, Gandalf and Saruman (and, again, possibly Galadriel). Those actors ain't gettin' any younger.

Of course, this is all just farfetched wishful thinking XD I can't see them ever filming ANY of The Silmarillion...

Last edited by Philip Reuben; 01-21-04 at 06:43 PM.