Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What's up with the big fat goth kid in "The Butterfly Effect"?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What's up with the big fat goth kid in "The Butterfly Effect"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-04, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I usually agree with most critics when it comes to movies, but this time I don't quite understand why they hated this movie so much. Was it too dark to even warrant a decent review? I, for one, thoroughly enjoyed this movie for what it was. Is it possible to change the past by reading journal entries? No, of course not. Can Ashton Kutcher act? No, of course not (but at least he tries here).
I'm a sucker for sci-fi stories and movies where you can control time (Back to the Future, Groundhog Day, Frequency) so I just let my mind go and was entertained by where the movie was headed. Although the first half was amazingly depressing, I wasn't bored for a minute and left the theater happy.

If you didn't like the trailer because the idea seemed asinine, then don't see this movie. If you don't like dark material (or aren't mature enough to handle it), then don't see this movie. If you over analyze every movie to the finest detail, then don't see this movie. And if Ashton Kutcher annoys you, then don't see this movie (although he does try to tone it down and play the straight man in this one).

Last edited by Shilex; 01-24-04 at 01:19 AM.
Old 01-24-04, 08:08 AM

Corvin,

Spoiler:
I think he tried to kill himself because he saw that everyone else was happy and he didn't want to be tempted to go back and change things again to merely end his own misery, thereby possibly screwing things up for everyone else. It wasn't until he saw that his mother was terminally ill (ie, not everyone was really happy) that he decided to go back and make another change. At least, that's my take.

As for the critics, I think the bad reviews are a combination of Kutcher bashing and the fact that there's some pretty hard core stuff presented here that the movie doesn't flinch away from. Personally, I was shocked by how much I liked this movie (and the three people with me all felt the same).
Old 01-24-04, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dsw13
Corvin,

Spoiler:
I think he tried to kill himself because he saw that everyone else was happy and he didn't want to be tempted to go back and change things again to merely end his own misery, thereby possibly screwing things up for everyone else. It wasn't until he saw that his mother was terminally ill (ie, not everyone was really happy) that he decided to go back and make another change. At least, that's my take.
Now he doesn't seem like such a bastard. Thanks. I figured I was reading the scene wrong.
Old 01-24-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by devilshalo
So.. after reading people's thought here about the premise of the story.. how does it hold up? Is it Somewhere in Time meets Frequency?

More like treehouse of horrors V: Time and Punishment meets punk'd

I can't speak ill will about the film. It was enjoyable for what it was and for the price I paid to see it. I couldn't find any glaring loop holes in the whole time travel other then accepting that he has the ability to do it.

Worth a look.
Old 01-24-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They actually have 3 different endings for the film.
Spoiler:
The filmmakers have said that the very dark one will be included on the DVD. I actually saw a test screening of this film in February of 2003, and it had a slightly different ending, but it wasn't dark, so I guess that means there are 3 endings. The ending on the original print I saw a year ago had Evan and Kayleigh walking past eachother on the street. They both get that sort of "deja-vu" look on their faces as if they know eachother. They turn around and start talking. Evan says "Do I know you?" Kayleigh says "No, I don't think so...." Evan says "Wanna get some coffee or something?" and they both walk off together. A bit more happy, but a little too happy in my opinion. I like the way it ends in the theatrical version.
Old 01-24-04, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seantn: I like the way it happens in the theatrical cut, as well. Glad they switched it.
Old 01-24-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hadn't heard the Oasis song that played over the end credits, I love that song now.
Old 01-24-04, 10:46 PM

Just another endorsement for the movie. I saw it tonight at the Alamo in Austin (full disclosure - they serve food and beer which can make any movie better), and really enjoyed it.

To me, it felt like the writers really knew, and liked, all of their characters. Each one (with the exception of Evan's mother) got a lot of screen time and had a few different possibilites explored, which turned out to be fun. Acting was fine, decent effects, great ending.

Dave
Old 01-24-04, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I distinctly remember Oasis at the end, but which song was it? I think it was off their latest, Heathen Chemistry. If I had to guess I'd say "Stop Crying Your Heart Out." Anyone remember for sure?
Old 01-25-04, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I've seen it twice now and I still really like it - the 3 people I've seen it with all liked it as well. Glad to see some people here liked it and that I'm not the only one. Eh - anyway - most of the haters here didn't even go see it... at least I see movies before I review them.
Old 01-25-04, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Corvin, you are correct. I sat through the credits so I could see the name of the song. That's it.
Old 01-25-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by f1shf00d
whatever happened to that tv show that this is like? a couple years ago, there was this show where this guy heard a song and went back to high school each episode and he'd try to fix some part of his past which would change the future in a way he didn't like, and he'd hear the song again and go back and forth between future (present) and past each episode...I think it only lasted about 4-5 weeks then it was cancelled. It's funny how a few movies coming out a based on Groundhog Day and/or Memento plot devices....
Actually it was That Was Then on ABC, not Do Over which was a really funny show imho. Do Over was the 30 minute comedy on WB. That Was Then was more of a drama and it only lasted around 6 episodes and then was put on hiatus by Already Been Canceled.
Old 01-25-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually it was That Was Then on ABC, not Do Over which was a really funny show imho.
I never got into That Was Then (due to it's crappy timeslot), but I did enjoy Do Over (too bad The WB gave it the axe along with Off Centre).

The Buttefly Effect is getting reviews similar to Starship Troopers when it was released back in 1997. When Starship Troopers was released theatrically, most critics saw it as a CGI-loaded action film that went over the top in it's depection of violence. Most critics hated it and of course the film made a decent sum ($60 million), but not enough to claim a profit. Then of course the film was released to video and it grew a little afterlife where people (some people, anyway) actually realized the film was not a dumb action film with tons of violence, but was actually a pretty good satire done by Paul Verhoeven. Kinda like Robocop.

One of the reasons I think TBE is getting bad reviews is that a lot of critics want to see Ashton fail. I'm not an Ashton fan by any means (his past few films were god-awful), but I did think he did a damn fine job. Same goes for Amy Smart (whose only film I liked before this was Road Trip). I thought that the directors did a good job at covering the film's more "darker" subjects, including:

Spoiler:
the pedophilia, the incest, the animal cruelty, and the prison rape.

I think the film might get a backlash due to:
A) Ashton was too much in the media last year and people are sick of him (ex: Bennifer).
B) This is a mainstream film not scared to take any chances. The trailers disguised the film as a romantic drama (similar to Somewhere In Time), but in reality TBE is really a dark science-fiction film with elements of drama and romance. People might go into this film expecting a Somewhere In Time type film, but will watch something else. This could either be a good thing, or a very bad thing.

The few people I know who have seen the film (or saw it with me) loved it with the exception of a few plot holes. Screw the critics' opinions on this film (with the exception of a good handful, most critics don't know shit and are only in it for the free goods from the studios), and go see the film if you're in the mood for something new from a mainstream studio. I applaud New Line for taking a chance with this film and releasing it to a wide audience (too bad they couldn't do the same for Angus or Cheats, but will for Dumb and Dumberer and The Son of the Mask).

The Butterfly Effect will probably end up being one of 2004's smartest and riskiest mainstream films, along with "underrated." Give the film a few years, and people might come back and appreciate it. The film is no Donnie Darko (but then, what can be?), but it's still one damn good film.

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 01-25-04 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-26-04, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I thought this film was 10x better than Donnie Darko (which I thought was merely okay)
Old 01-26-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This actor was also in Evolution and played a fairly stupid role in a stupid movie. He's been in several movies that I have seen but I never noticed him, probably because he was playing minor roles. I'm not saying he's a bad actor or anything but his performances have never caught my attention.
Old 01-26-04, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Buttefly Effect is getting reviews similar to Starship Troopers when it was released back in 1997. When Starship Troopers was released theatrically, most critics saw it as a CGI-loaded action film that went over the top in it's depection of violence. Most critics hated it and of course the film made a decent sum ($60 million), but not enough to claim a profit. Then of course the film was released to video and it grew a little afterlife where people (some people, anyway) actually realized the film was not a dumb action film with tons of violence, but was actually a pretty good satire done by Paul Verhoeven. Kinda like Robocop
To put the Butterfly Effect in the same paragaph as Robocop and to a lesser extent Starship Troopers is just wrong.
Old 01-26-04, 02:23 PM

I loved this movie, I thought it was one of the best movies I have ever seen. I don't know where all the bad reviews are coming from. Im seeing it again tongiht and again later this week and probably again next week

Edit: Isn't this thread suppsoe to be about the fat goth kid? I don't know where that went wrong. There is nothing wrong with fat people and especially nothing with goth people, goth people are very cool (at least most of them) Don't push it unless you've tried it

Last edited by Justin00787; 01-26-04 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-26-04, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the guy does a pretty good job....i knew i'd seen him before, forgot about Mallrats. Was great in American History X.
Old 01-28-04, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by Justin00787
Edit: Isn't this thread suppsoe to be about the fat goth kid? I don't know where that went wrong. There is nothing wrong with fat people and especially nothing with goth people, goth people are very cool (at least most of them) Don't push it unless you've tried it
tell me you're joking
Old 02-01-04, 12:09 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw it, loved it. Perhaps a bit too hard for the sensitive souls (read: reviewers) but I love this movie with it's raw moments. Great flick.