Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

AIlen 3 has got to be the most underrated movie of all time SPOILERS

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-04, 02:24 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just watched it last night for the first time. I love David Fincher so I was looking foward to this, despite how horrible all the reviews are.

Not only did I find it better than AILEN and AILENS but it's one of my favorite sci fi flicks of all time.

Since I am bored, I will argue with some of the points the critics of this film make. Feel free to flame me all you like.

1. Newt and Hick die.

Hick was a total dispossable character. Who cares about him? As for Newt, I foudn her horribly annoying in AILENS and her relationship with Ripley went no where. Big deal. Shes a cute blond girl with a horrible faux english accent who represents Ripley's "lost daughter". Please. Her stuff did nothing but bloat Ailens.

I like how they die before the movie begins. Hey shit happens. Sets the tone for the darker Ailens 3.

2. Too dark, dim, ugly, gloomy, etc.

UHHHHHHHHHH I thought the visual style of this was PERFECT. It was scary and haunting and it was a prison planet, not exactly disney land.

AH crap I gotta go. Don't have time to finish my thoughts, but I gotta say Ailen 3 is brilliant. I can't see why Fincher would hate this cut so much.

Ailen POV shots? Newt's autopsy?(never showing the body, just the noise and the blood in the drain) Bishop rebooted?

Were these not fantastic?

why is this movie so hated?!
Old 01-04-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=338350
Old 01-04-04, 03:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: AIlen 3 has got to be the most underrated movie of all time SPOILERS

Originally posted by whynotsmile
Not only did I find it better than AILEN and AILENS

I stopped reading at this. There's another thread here on this very movie. Maybe others woud be willing to debate it's merits with you.
Old 01-04-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Not only did I find it better than AILEN and AILENS
Thats where you lose all credibility.(besides the fact you can't even spell the names of the movies nor the characters names correctly).
Old 01-04-04, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Everybody makes typos, but you have to love an entire post in which the title of the movie is misspelled conistently all the way through. Amazing.

Oh, and yeah: http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....hreadid=338350
Old 01-04-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You gotta love his post though. Given his name I think he was just trying to make us smile or laugh.
Old 01-04-04, 11:55 PM
Banned

AILEN and AILENS
Old 01-05-04, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wag the Dog is the most underrated film of all time.
Old 01-05-04, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Gigli is the most underrated film in movie history!!! Not only did I find it better then the godfather and the godfather II, but "It's turkey time, Gobble Gobble" should be more known then "I'll be back" or "Show me the money" along the lines of film quotes.
Old 01-05-04, 01:10 AM
Suspended

why is this movie so hated?!
Because it was a complete and utter piece of shit that took two great movies and flushed everything good and pure about them straight down the unholy toilet of hell?

Yeah, I'd say that's a good start.
Old 01-05-04, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Anyone recall the teaser to alien3 that made it seem like the alien battle would take place on earth.. after such a tease and then the let down.. I can say there is plenty of reason why I hate this film.
Old 01-05-04, 10:18 AM
Suspended

I liked it
Old 01-05-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I'm with you anyway. It's a GREAT film.
Old 01-05-04, 04:00 PM
Retired

Re: Re: AIlen 3 has got to be the most underrated movie of all time SPOILERS

Originally posted by Robert
Thats where you lose all credibility.(besides the fact you can't even spell the names of the movies nor the characters names correctly).
Movies are entirely subjective. No one's opinion is wrong or loses credibility just because they differ from yours (or in this case the majority's).
Old 01-05-04, 05:48 PM
Cool New Member

I didn't think it was bad.

I thought the look and feel of the film was great. Fincher did a great job with that.
But the story was... lacking...
We figured out the whole story in the first 10 minutes, and do we really care of prison convicts die?

Aliens 4 had a much better story. Great? Maybe. I enjoyed the plot and twists, but the look and feel was lacking.
Perhaps with a better director, or more imput from Giger, it could have been a much better received film.
Old 01-05-04, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Because it was a complete and utter piece of shit that took two great movies and flushed everything good and pure about them straight down the unholy toilet of hell?
stay on topic, please.
the subject of the thread is Alien 3, not Return Of The Jedi.

Old 01-05-04, 10:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Spelling errors aside, I have to agree in part with whynotsmile. I always loved Alien and Aliens, then Alien 3 came along and screwed it all up. But to my surprise after multiple viewings (20+) this movie really started to be my fave of the Trilogy.

I love the dark, gritty sets. The brilliant acting by Dance and Dutton. The airy, frightening score. That doesn't mean to say the film doesn't have it's problems, IE: Continuity, both in the editing and in the storyline. However even some of the cont. problems have been largely solved with the new "Directors Cut".

Definitely the most wrongly maligned of the trio. Want to suffer through torture? Try Alien Resurrection.

Ian
Old 01-06-04, 05:20 AM
Banned

Alien3 Owns! Yup...I've always liked it and thought it was a great addition to the saga...it was way ahead of its time...
Old 01-06-04, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hick was a total dispossable character. Who cares about him? As for Newt, I foudn her horribly annoying in AILENS and her relationship with Ripley went no where. Big deal.
I think Alien 3, at least the extended cut, is a good movie on its own merits. However, two reasons I will never really love it are a. they killed Hicks and B. they killed Newt, right off the bat. I was VERY attached to them after Aliens and was furious at the way this movie treated them. Still am actually, as a friend and I were complaining about this just today. To me, they weren't disposable at all.

However, it is at least 1,544,789 times better than Alien: Resurrection, so I can't complain about it too much.

Last edited by onebyone; 01-06-04 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-06-04, 08:25 AM
Banned

I found that to be the greatest strength of the film...that they said "Were killin em off...deal with it...this movie is not about them" and it made for a darker film that was more serious in tone...
Old 01-06-04, 09:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
"Alien" and "Aliens" have been two of my top-favorite films for nearly as long as I've been watching movies. I remember when "Alien 3" came out, I was so psyched for it. I was only 16 so I had to sneak into the theater, and I ended up going back to see if three more times. I can understand why many fans hated "Alien 3", as it seemed to completely undo everything that had come before. But in a way, I admired that aspect of it. It was its own thing. Plus the photography was gorgeous, and I admired the fact that this huge studio project was just so relentlessly depressing. It was gutsy.

My complaints were with major editing issues which saw several plotlines stripped and characters disappear completely. There were things I didn't understand about it when I watched it. Where did Golic go? etc. Then I read the novelization (hey, I was a kid and I loved the franchise, so I even read the novelizations! Sue me!) and the story made so much more sense, as it was written from the original script. I wondered "Why didn't they put all of this stuff in the movie???"

Now, with the SE, we finally have all of that stuff back in the flick, and it makes for a DRASTICALLY improved picture.

I don't love it more than the first two. That's nearly impossible. But I do enjoy a lot of things about it. "Alien 3" is definitely a film that deserves some reappraisal by the folks that wrote it off all those many years ago.
Old 01-06-04, 01:17 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
I found that to be the greatest strength of the film...that they said "Were killin em off...deal with it...this movie is not about them" and it made for a darker film that was more serious in tone...
It might have been ok if the producers had actually dealt with it, had worked the death of Hicks and Newt into the story somehow. No, they just dropped the hammer on them off screen, not even using the real actors.

What they did was sloppy writing. They didnt want to deal with the characters as set up by the previous production team, so they simply killed them.
Old 01-06-04, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It might have been ok if the producers had actually dealt with it, had worked the death of Hicks and Newt into the story somehow. No, they just dropped the hammer on them off screen, not even using the real actors.
Agreed. The way they were quickly disposed of in the first 5 minutes reeked of a bad horror movie sequel(which Alien 3 ended up being). None of the new characters were likable except for Charles Dance who didn't last very long. And the plot was a rehash of the first film. The brilliance of Aliens was that it took the story in a whole new direction.

I think a big reason Alien 3 has so many apologists...errrr, fans these days is because of the great career David Fincher has gone on to have. People love his other films so much that they can't bear to admit to themselves that his first directorial outing resulted in a franchise-killing piece of crap(not necessarily his fault, but his name is in the credits).
Old 01-06-04, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think a big reason Alien 3 has so many apologists...errrr, fans these days is because of the great career David Fincher has gone on to have. People love his other films so much that they can't bear to admit to themselves that his first directorial outing resulted in a franchise-killing piece of crap(not necessarily his fault, but his name is in the credits).
Well, you could say that, and I'm sure it's true in some instances, but it was Alien3 that made me a Fincher fan. I went to see it three times in the first week. I loved it immediately. I especially loved it for its extremely bold and daring move of killing Hicks and Newt without ceremony, and robbing both Ripley and audience of the time to mourn.
Old 01-06-04, 02:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Doughboy
As you can see above, I am a fan of "Alien 3", but I haven't really liked any of Fincher's other films. They look nice, but that's about all they have going for them. I did enjoy Kevin Spacey in "Se7en", so I guess that's something.

Not trying to blow holes in your argument, just stating the case as it pertains to me. I'm sure that in the case of several "apologists" you are correct.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.