Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Tad Hamilton": Yep...as bad as you could possibly imagine

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"Tad Hamilton": Yep...as bad as you could possibly imagine

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-04, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by DRG
January isn't so much a "dumping ground" month anymore as it is "Oscar-type get wide release" month. In the past few years, things like Crouching Tiger, Traffic, Chicago, A Beautiful Mind, Black Hawk Down, etc. have put up big box office numbers in January after enjoying successful limited engagements in December (to qualify for Oscars). Yes, there are plenty of things like Snow Dogs and Kangaroo Jack released in the month as well, but studios release crap in the summer and Holiday months as well.

This year may be different, as it seems most of the big Oscar possibilities that also have box office potential have already gone wide. Big Fish is going wide this weekend, but otherwise... I just don't see huge mainstream possibilities for Monster, House of Sand & Fog, Shattered Glass, The Cooler, etc.
Sigh. I don't think anyone has ever said that January is the only month where dogs are released. But it has long been considered the month where the most are. In a relatively quite month for new releases. I still see many film analysts talk about this in Variety, Hollywood Reporter, etc. And of course Oscar movies go wider and even re-released during January (and even February). We're talking about new movies here.
Old 01-07-04, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Trip....Who is in the film and what is the plot? I have not heard of it.
Old 01-07-04, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
The leads are, the girl from "Blue Crush", the guy from "That 70's Show" and that guy from "Las Vegas". Nathan Lane and Sean Hayes have minor supporting roles too. The plot is about a girl from West Virginia who applies online to win a date with an actor she loves. She works at the Piggly Wiggly (yeah, I know...). where her two closest friends also work as well. One of which is also her manager who secretly loves her. She wins the contest (of course), and gets sent off to Beverly Hills to meet him. And her friend/manager is eaten up with jealously and heartache. That's basically the plot.
Old 01-07-04, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw it at a screening. It's not overly funny, but not terrible either. The night I went, I was just in the sort of mood to see the movie.

What about Paris HIlton? I saw a thing on TV that said she had a cameo, but I don't remember seeing her in the movie. Was she there and I missed her?
Old 01-23-04, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw it tonight and actually enjoyed it. I think will be a very popular date movie for the next month or so. Topher Grace could have a pretty bright future ahead of him, as he was the biggest plus to the film.
Old 01-25-04, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It wasn't as bad as it could've been, but it wasn't great. It could have been a crude film about actors with inflated egos and excesses, but it side-steps most of those pitfalls well enough. It was serviceable, and had a sweet, tender, old-fashion ending (paying homage to such films of years past in the 1950's).

The actors are all very appealing, and Topher Grace comes off pretty well. Topher's comedic pedigree was on display as he did provide snarky remarks as a defense mechanism as he watches the girl of his dreams, Rosalee (played by winsome Kate Bosworth) get swept away by a movie star (Tad Hamilton played by Josh Duhamel) reaching to find old fashion sweetness and light in the person of Rosalee, who wins the date with him in a charity contest).

The comedic supporting turns by Nathan Lane and Sean Hayes and Ginnifer Goodwin were funny enough, though spoofing the situation at hand at the same time.

It's a cute date movie.

I give it 2.75 stars or a grade of B-.

Last edited by Patman; 01-25-04 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-25-04, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Daytripper
The leads are, the girl from "Blue Crush", the guy from "That 70's Show" and that guy from "Las Vegas". Nathan Lane and Sean Hayes have minor supporting roles too. The plot is about a girl from West Virginia who applies online to win a date with an actor she loves. She works at the Piggly Wiggly (yeah, I know...). where her two closest friends also work as well. One of which is also her manager who secretly loves her. She wins the contest (of course), and gets sent off to Beverly Hills to meet him. And her friend/manager is eaten up with jealously and heartache. That's basically the plot.
Well, that is certainly the plot for the first 30 minutes, but that isn't the plot for the rest of the movie.

I took my wife to it on Friday, and we both enjoyed it. Was it the best movie of the year? Not by a country mile. Was it a sufficiently good diversion for a couple of hours? Yeah, I think it was. Oh, and BTW, it did score higher than 25% at rottentomatoes.com.
Old 01-25-04, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by Daytripper
Movies like this don't get better after 30 minutes. I've also walked out of a movie after 30 minutes or an hour when I've paid. The most recent one was "The Hulk". Free, paid for....makes no difference. If I'm not enjoying it, I'm leaving. Sure, it's money down the drain. But that's the risk you take. And yes, my friends left too. I only leaned over to them and said "I can't take this anymore, I'll meet you later". And they followed me.
Why don't films like this get any better after 30 minutes? Especially with Hollywood's emphasis on 3 distinct acts, mainstream flicks are exactly the kind of movies where all of the good stuff is loaded into one section of the film. You mentioned walking out of the Hulk. Well, that's one film that got a lot better in the last 3rd and featured some truly spectacular sequences.

You're free to do what you like, but I have to agree with the sentiment that your remarks about the entire film are highly questionable when you've only seen a third of it. No offense, but instead of spending the time defending this approach and measuring yourself against Rotten Tomatoes, maybe you should've just finished watching the film and then no one would've been able to dispute you this way. That said, I have to give you credit for admitting it.