Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Whatever happened to the Easterlings?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-29-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

You know, the guys in the gold armor that looked somewhat Asian in descent. The book has them at the battle of Pelennor Fields, as does the video game. However, they appear to be nowhere in the movie.
Any chance of them popping up in the EE?
Old 12-29-03, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sure hope so...I think they were the coolest-looking bad guys in all the films. Loved their armor and helmets.
Old 01-06-04, 04:01 PM

and the Mascara
Old 01-06-04, 05:48 PM
Banned

You mean Shredder?

Actually...you can see them for a split second when they break through the gates of Minas Tirith at night...they charge at the Gondorians...
Old 01-06-04, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I think they were cut from the theaterical version so the movie would seem less 'racist.'
Old 01-06-04, 06:28 PM
Banned

Well they were prominantly featured in a big scene in TTT...so I dont think thats the reason...I think its mainly they didnt have time to show them in greater detail...because they are in the finished film in a few shots...I expect we'll see more of them in the EE...
Old 01-20-04, 09:14 AM

i dont understand why all this racist stuff occurs when the book has been out for so long.. has the book ever been accused of being racist? its been read by millions. i cant believe theyd throw out something of the film that was described as being somewhat asian when the book, describing it that way, has been out for decades... so now we blame PJ for being racist just because he's staying true to tolkien, who we all know is not racist (at least to my knowledge).

ive read more of this in other threads...
Old 01-20-04, 01:17 PM
Banned by request

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Um, aren't the Easterlings the guys on the Oliphants? Or is that a different section of evil humans? I know there's the group that marches into Mordor's gate in TTT, but I thought they were just another part of that general army that also had the Oliphant riders.
Old 01-20-04, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally posted by Suprmallet
Um, aren't the Easterlings the guys on the Oliphants? Or is that a different section of evil humans? I know there's the group that marches into Mordor's gate in TTT, but I thought they were just another part of that general army that also had the Oliphant riders.

The Harradrim rode the Olphaunts, and the Easterlings were the ones who entered the gates of Mordor.