Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Greatest Film Trilogy Ever?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: So is LOTR the best trilogy?
Yes, The Lord of the Rings is without question the greatest film trilogy ever
58.11%
No, but it is still one of the best
28.83%
No, not even close
12.16%
I don't know
0.90%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Greatest Film Trilogy Ever?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-04, 01:28 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Seeker
Here's a "trilogy" out of the blue:

My Neighbor Totoro
Whisper of the Heart
Spirited Away

3 GREAT movies. Ok, I'm just throwing this in here, I know, but does anyone know the thread that makes that a trilogy?
They're all written by Miyazaki. Anything else?
Old 02-17-04, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by juiio
Just my opinion, but I would put all of these above it without any hesitation (and you can't convince me otherwise no matter how much you try):

Godfather
Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Die Hard
Back to the Future
Jurassic Park (even with the gymnastics kick and the abrupt ending to III)

If there hadn't been a Lethal Weapon 4, that would have been above it also, as far as trilogies go.
I won't try to convice you but I sure disagree. I think the only ones of those you listed that can compete with LOTR in any way are The Godfather and Back to the Future, the former because there is so much excellence there (including the underrated Part 3) and the latter because, while not among the greatest in any way, at least they have a measure of consistent quality (with Part 2 being the best IMO). The rest (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Die Hard, Jurassic Park, Lethal Weapon) are just so up and down in quality I can't consider them.

The only one I would probably grudgingly (because I love LOTR so much) have to rate above LOTR is The Godfather.
Old 02-17-04, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Some of the trilogies I listed are up and down, that is for sure, but I (again just my opinion, and no I'm not on drugs ) feel that LOTR is up and down too.
Old 02-18-04, 11:06 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The ultimate film trilogy is Russian: It's ultra-naturalistic, sentimental but very subtly propagandistic (but only in the sense that Charles Dickens' novels can be considered communist propaganda), all based on the life of Russian novelist Maxim Gorky:

It is the monumental Gorky Trilogy by director Mark Donskoy, which the US saw, praised and admired before and during WWII and which Canada has enjoyed ever since in repertory, but which has been shelved in the rest of the continent since the Cold War. The three films are:

Detstvo Gorkogo (1938)
... aka The Childhood of Maxim Gorky (1938) (USA)
... aka Gorky Trilogy I (1938) (International: English title: informal title)

V lyudyakh (1939)
... aka Gorky Trilogy II (1939)
... aka My Apprenticeship (1939)
... aka On His Own (1939) (USA)
... aka Out in the World (1939)

Moj universitety (1940)
... aka Gorky Trilogy III (1940)
... aka My Universities (1940)
... aka University of Life (1940)

Only the first part has been available in region 1 DVD by Image since 2002. Although it is arguably one of the best and most important movies of all time, this DVD has never been reviewed by any of the major DVD sites, not even DVDtalk.com or DVD Savant, which makes the release of Parts II and III in region 1 rather unlikely although a Swedish correspondent assures me that every DVD advertised on the Russian Ruscico site will eventually find its way to an Image release in America.

This trilogy has influenced all the directors who saw it, including the Italian Neo-Realists and quite a few left-leaning American directors, from Houston to John Ford to Zinneman to Stevens.

Last edited by baracine; 02-18-04 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-18-04, 11:51 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Pasolini's 'Trilogy of Life' films: The Decameron, Canterbury Tales, Arabian Nights.

I have not seen them (yet) but Satyajit Ray's Apu Trilogy: Apur Sansar, Aparajito, Pather Panchali is credited to be one of cinemas best trilogys
Old 02-18-04, 12:16 PM
Suspended

...And let's not forget Ingmar Bergman's trilogy: Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light and The Silence (1961-1963).
Old 02-18-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Indy #1
Old 02-19-04, 03:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The first time I left the theater from Fellowship I asked myself "Was that better than Star Wars?" After finally realizing that the Empire was basically usurped by teddy bears with a little help my answer was yes. LOTR owns. Not to mention the fact that the original trilogy doesn't exist according to Howard the Duck creator, George Lucas.
Old 02-19-04, 03:43 AM
Suspended

Gentlemen - if we're going to have a fan-wank Rings thread, can we please clearly identfy it in the header so that people who think the movies suck dont wander in by accident.

(As for for a trilogy that beats it? Clint Eastword and Sergio Leone *OWN* these lame ass hobbits. You want quality - not a bad film in the bunch.)
Old 02-19-04, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by El-Kabong
Gentlemen - if we're going to have a fan-wank Rings thread, can we please clearly identfy it in the header so that people who think the movies suck dont wander in by accident.
Just so you know, this thread was "born" in the Lord of The Rings - The Trilogy sub-forum and only worked it's way out here once that disappeared. So when it was originally created, it was a given that it was about LOTR.
Old 02-19-04, 12:28 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 951 Likes on 796 Posts
Rambo Trilogy!
Old 02-19-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fan-wank!! That sums up the Internet so well in those 2 words.
Old 02-20-04, 10:28 PM
Cool New Member

Back to the Future
Lord of the Rings
Star Wars
American Pie =D (Fun trilogy, lots of laughs)
Old 02-21-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No one mentioned The Man With No Name trilogy?
Old 02-21-04, 12:24 PM
tpc

LOTR
Star Wars OT
The Jersey Trilogy
Indy
Old 02-21-04, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't why anyone would even consider the Indiana Jones movies a trilogy, other than the fact that there were three movies. There could have been 1,2, or 4 movies and it would not have impacted the story at all. IJ is more of a serial, like James Bond.

With that said, the ultimate trilogy...

Old 02-21-04, 03:12 PM

(As for for a trilogy that beats it? Clint Eastword and Sergio Leone *OWN* these lame ass hobbits. You want quality - not a bad film in the bunch.)

Word.
Old 02-21-04, 05:14 PM

LOTR owns nuff said hehe

"MORDOR!"
Old 02-22-04, 10:12 PM

Without falling into the precise definition of trilogy debate, I voted for Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings. The only other cinematic trilogy that I can think of as equally as strong is Krzysztof Kieslowski’s Trois Couleurs trilogy of Bleu, Blanc et Rouge. Another trilogy which is also quite good is Hiroshi Inagaki's Samurai Trilogy of Musashi Miyamoto, Duel at Ichijoji Temple and Duel at Ganryu Island.

Other popular series suffer from installments which are lacking:
The Godfather with the weak Part III
The original Star Wars trilogy with the silly Return of the Jedi
The Adventures of Indiana Jones series with the inadequate Temple of Lost Doom entry (and which may or may not have a fourth installment)
I can’t even believe that the Back to the Future series is as popular as it is, especially with the trite Part III