Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

[Spoilers]ROTK Questions + Bloopers

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-03, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Horses disappear?
When Aragorn rides to the gates of Mordor with Gandald etc. everyone is on horse back. After the gates open and the baddies come out and surround them, I see no horses and they all charge on their two feets! WTF?!?

2. Finger appears?
Frodo's finger gets cut off at Mordor. Back at the shire, when they hug or when Frodo gives the diary... his finger is there. WTF?!?

3. Where are the guards?
When Frodo gets captured and imprisoned on top of Ungol tower, Sam goes up for the rescue. Where are all the Orcs and crew that were there a few seconds ago? Sam had absolutely no encounter with the creatures on his way up. (Just once at the very beginning of the staircase but all the creatures were on top!!!)

Any explanations? Any more interesting questions you have, please post and share so I can watch for these carefully on my second viewing of this film!
Old 12-21-03, 06:07 PM

Re: [Spoilers]ROTK Questions + Bloopers

Originally posted by dvdordie
3. Where are the guards?
When Frodo gets captured and imprisoned on top of Ungol tower, Sam goes up for the rescue. Where are all the Orcs and crew that were there a few seconds ago? Sam had absolutely no encounter with the creatures on his way up. (Just once at the very beginning of the staircase but all the creatures were on top!!!)
The tower was filled half with Uruks from Saruman and half with orcs alligned with Sauron. All of the orcs killed each other... didn't you see them all starting to fight before they cut to Sam? I agree that there should have been more orcs alive, but hey that's what Tolkien wrote.
Old 12-21-03, 06:10 PM

Re: Re: [Spoilers]ROTK Questions + Bloopers

Originally posted by Astro
The tower was filled half with Uruks from Saruman and half with orcs alligned with Sauron. All of the orcs killed each other... didn't you see them all starting to fight before they cut to Sam? I agree that there should have been more orcs alive, but hey that's what Tolkien wrote.
But... there were no bloody dead Orcs or Uruks laying around anywhere. They just seemed to have vanished... *poof*
Old 12-21-03, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recall there being a lot of bodies on the floor.
Old 12-21-03, 06:15 PM

I see dead orcs. you don't? I thought there were dead orcs that sam walked past, maybe I am wrong.

I noticed the whole Lack of horses thing. Considering they cut out the whole Mouth Of Sauron part, maybe the EE will explain this better, like maybe the horses ran off.
Old 12-21-03, 07:13 PM

Yeah, the horses might have played a big role there. Who knows?
Old 12-21-03, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
re horses - they had to feed them to the eagles to get the eagles to show up and help.
Old 12-22-03, 01:18 AM

1. horses - there is a rumored cut scene that will be in the EE where the Mouth of Sauron comes out first and talks to Aragorn and co. (will not go into what they talk about), but I assume somewhere in that scene they get off their horses, or the horses disappear.

2. good point, didn't notice it the first time through but was something i was definately going to look at on a subsequent viewing.
Old 12-22-03, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Originally posted by Snowlarbear
1. ...Mouth of Sauron comes out first and talks to Aragorn and co. (will not go into what they talk about), .
What else?

Chicks
Old 12-22-03, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by Giantrobo
What else?

Chicks
they thought maybe they could get some pizza and skam for chicks or something..........
Old 12-22-03, 12:09 PM

Re: [Spoilers]ROTK Questions + Bloopers

[
2. Finger appears?
Frodo's finger gets cut off at Mordor. Back at the shire, when they hug or when Frodo gives the diary... his finger is there. WTF?!?

that is not true because i was looking for that too....it shows his finger missing....youll see it the second time around
Old 12-22-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

how many times have you seen this mwdkill?
Old 12-22-03, 04:53 PM

Re: Re: [Spoilers]ROTK Questions + Bloopers

Originally posted by mwdkill
[
2. Finger appears?

that is not true because i was looking for that too....it shows his finger missing....youll see it the second time around
Really? I don't think so. Look closely when they are singing and clanking their beer mugs during the celebration. All of his fingers are there.
Old 12-22-03, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My question is who is lighting Gondor's beacons throughout the lands to tell Rohan help is needed? We know that they haven't been used for a really long time. We also learn that Denethor would die before ever asking Rohan for help. So, why would men still be stationed at each beacon if they knew it never be used? That's got to be a real shitty job being at the middle of nowhere and just waiting for nothing.
Old 12-22-03, 08:25 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have a burning question.

In the Extended Two Towers it is established that Merry and Pippin have grown in size (and presumably strength.) This is the explanation in the book on why they're actually able to do some damage on the battlefield.

Yet, at the end of ROTK, when the 4 hobbits are reunited they all look the same size.

Is this another thing that will be fixed in the extended ROTK? Or is it just to keep continuity within the theatrical versions?

Thoughts?
Old 12-22-03, 08:52 PM
Banned

Originally posted by MrN
Yet, at the end of ROTK, when the 4 hobbits are reunited they all look the same size.
At the end of TTT: EE, during the scene where Merry and Pippin find the pipe-weed after the ent attack, you learn that they both return to their original height. Merry says, "everything is back to normal."
Old 12-22-03, 09:48 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I watched Frodo's finger carefully. Any time you see an intact hand, it's the hand that wasn't bitten. There was complete attention to detail in this matter.
Old 12-23-03, 01:29 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Rivero
At the end of TTT: EE, during the scene where Merry and Pippin find the pipe-weed after the ent attack, you learn that they both return to their original height. Merry says, "everything is back to normal."
I actually took that to mean that the difference in height went back to what it originally was. Otherwise, if they shrank back to normal size, why include it in the film only to contradict the book later on?
Old 12-23-03, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Originally posted by MrN
I have a burning question.

In the Extended Two Towers it is established that Merry and Pippin have grown in size (and presumably strength.) This is the explanation in the book on why they're actually able to do some damage on the battlefield.

Is this another thing that will be fixed in the extended ROTK? Or is it just to keep continuity within the theatrical versions?

Thoughts?

Hmmm, they only grew a few inches. It wasn't like they were man or even dwarf sized. Also, I don't remember them returning to their original height in the book. It seems to me when they went back to the Shire people did notice Merry and Pippin's growth.
Old 12-23-03, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
I watched Frodo's finger carefully. Any time you see an intact hand, it's the hand that wasn't bitten. There was complete attention to detail in this matter.
This is correct. Remember it is Frodo's LEFT hand, not Right that gets mangled. And it is only to the first knuckle. There are at least two shots post Mt. Doom where the damaged digit is in clear view.
Old 12-23-03, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Giantrobo
Hmmm, they only grew a few inches. It wasn't like they were man or even dwarf sized. Also, I don't remember them returning to their original height in the book. It seems to me when they went back to the Shire people did notice Merry and Pippin's growth.
Correct. The hobbits of the Shire mistake them for foreign Warrior Barons. They grow about 4-6 inches each as a result of the Ent Draught. Not tremendous or maybe even noticable to us full-sized folk...
Old 12-23-03, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
Groucho: Guess what? I've got a fever... and the only prescription... is more FINGER!
Old 12-23-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice Kung Pow quote, Daytripper

YOUR CLOTHES ARE RED
Old 12-24-03, 01:13 PM

There was a close-up of Legalas when he joined the battle, and it looked to me like they forgot to digitally put some arrows in. It looks like he pulled the string back and let go with no arrow in that short shot.
Old 12-27-03, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

3. Where are the guards?
I was a little more surprised at the end of the fight at Gondor. There should have been about 50,000 corpses lying around, as well as some oliphants and stuff, yet when they leave the castle to head to Mordor there is no sign of there even being a fight.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.