Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-04, 07:28 PM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dont flame me, but it seems that me and jough are the only people who didnt love this movie. i thought it was good, thats all.

and i agree with that elvis mitchell comment. the script is very interesting, the directing very good, as is the acting, and i even had a relationship similar to this one. but i found it boring at times, and i didnt really care about the characters. maybe i went in with my expectations too high.

and i think the moral is defintely that you must take the bad along with the good.

2.5/4
Old 03-28-04, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Taste is strange.

I get bored just having to sit through trailers for movies
starring The Rock or Vin Diesel.

Movies have to move me in my mid-20s, i haven't liked action films since I was about 14 years old.

For some reason, even the most so-called "boring" dramas always seem to interest me. Although I would never called Eternal Sunshine in the least bit boring.
Old 03-28-04, 09:23 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
I enjoyed Eternal Sunshine (I'm writing a full review tonight) and I think it's Kaufman's strongest script - but not as brilliant as Adaptation and not shot as well. Even with Spike Jonze's strange forays into Kaufmanville, he seems to ground the films to the point where the cinematography doesn't distract from the story, which is what I felt happened with ESotSM.
Old 03-28-04, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was suprised that this film didn't reach the level of weirdness I expected from Kaufman ... which is not necessarily a bad thing as I definately enjoyed it.
Old 03-28-04, 11:11 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by Suprmallet
Spoiler:
I see that original ending not making the point that if event a occurs, event b must follow, but rather it shows the dangers of something like this. Kaufman obviously felt that this was a doomed relationship, but worthwhile anyway. However, in their endless search to forget their pain, they lose all the experience, and have to do it again and again, ad infinitum. Thus, the rest of their life is spent in a cycle of pain and forgetfullness. I think that both endings show the danger of the memory-erasing process. It's just a matter of how you want to stress it. The ending of the film stresses that it's better to have the experience, even if it might end badly. The original ending stresses that this kind of thing can lead to a life of repeating the same mistakes, because you don't learn from them.
Spoiler:
True -- those who cannot remember the past are doomed to repeat it, and all that. I just like Joel and Clementine so much that I desperately want them to have a happy ending, and the idea of them spending the rest of their lives in the same circle of heartbreak saddens me.

Besides, if nothing else, you'd think sooner or later David Cross's character would tell them to stop. I know I'd get sick of watching my friend go through the exact same relationship over and over.
Old 03-28-04, 11:54 PM

I liked this movie a lot when I first saw it, but I seem to like it more each day since. Like more puzzle pieces are coming together in my head and I am even more appreciative, even if the movie did pretty much break my heart.
Old 03-29-04, 12:35 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by JasonF
Spoiler:
Besides, if nothing else, you'd think sooner or later David Cross's character would tell them to stop. I know I'd get sick of watching my friend go through the exact same relationship over and over.

"I'm building...a bird house!"
Old 03-29-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I enjoyed the hell out of this movie. I also favor the movie ending versus what's being said about the screenplay ending.

Spoiler:
If just for the simple fact that it gives hope to the idea that if situations were different, maybe some doomed relationships would work out. In this case, they both know specific things that they hate about the other person. By accepting those up front, maybe things will be different.
Old 03-29-04, 11:14 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Courtesy of BeingCharlieKaufman.com:

INT. OLD MAN'S OFFICE - A FEW MINUTES LATER

Old Howard works at his desk. Old Mary enters with the
second old woman.

OLD WOMAN (MARY)
Dr. Mierzwiak, this is Clementine
Kruczynski. She'd like to talk to you.

Old Howard and the old Mary eye each other.

OLD MAN (HOWARD)
Hello, Ms. Kruczynski. Nice to meet you.
Please have a seat.

He indicates a sitting area. She sits. He joins her.

OLD MAN (HOWARD) (CONT'D)
Would you mind if I tape our discussion?

She shakes her hear. He punches a couple of buttons on his
computer console. A tape recorder starts up and his computer
screen lights up so only he can see it. On it we see a whole
file on Clementine Kruczynski: a list of fifteen dates of
previous erasures stretching back fifty years, all of them
involving Joel Barish.

OLD MAN (HOWARD) (CONT'D)
So, why don't you begin by telling me why
you've come here.

SECOND OLD WOMAN (CLEMENTINE)
Well, I met this man, Joel, three years
ago at a senior dance... We'd both been
alone for so long and...
Old 03-29-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Despite some of the flaws mentioned above, I liked it.

Plus, it had the added bonus of Kirsten Dunst in panties.
Old 03-31-04, 01:19 AM

Did anyone else but me find the mind erasing procedure hard to believe?? and being able to control what theyre are doing to your mind while in the dream???
Old 03-31-04, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It's called a suspension of disbelief. It's part fantasy in that aspect.

As for the hope ending. I suppose it's a glass half empty/half full situation. folks will see it both ways. I would think that the relationship is doomed to fail again but the fact that just want to enjoy the time together is enough to go through all the bad experiences.
Old 03-31-04, 01:40 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Marvdog
Did anyone else but me find the mind erasing procedure hard to believe?? and being able to control what theyre are doing to your mind while in the dream???
Like the 'portal' in Being John Malkovich, I think the mind erasing machine is just fantasy - but the plot needed it to be taken more seriously and so we had some technical jargon. I thought it was a minor distraction.
Old 03-31-04, 09:37 AM
Suspended

Actually, all memories are stored physically/chemically in your brain, so it *could* be possible to kill/delete/alter just the ones you wanted if you could pinpoint them with some degree of accuracy.
Old 03-31-04, 10:14 AM

Kate Winslet is sooooo much hotter than Kristin Dunst in this movie, it's the red pigtails man, red pigtails

My Review - Charlie Kaufman(Being John Malkovitch and Adaptation) brings us a wonderful mix of emotion that takes us through the ups and downs of an intimate relationship. He zero's in on his characters weak points showing us that no one really has it figured out, no one is as happy as they may seem. Things you remember about people and times you've had are the key to keeping everything on track and going back to those memories is the best way to remind you why you love someone. He also shows the pettiness of people and how they let their weaknesses come before their heart.

This movie runs the gamut of emotions, from the pure bliss you feel at the onset of a new relationship, to the confusion you feel when trying to keep it together. The pain when you realize that you may have lost something dear to you, the embarrassment of dealing with your innermost intimate issues and memories, the understanding of what you have to do, the relaxation when you get used to someone, the shock when they do something you'd never expect. It makes you want to love someone, to have hope that you can be truly happy, then it makes you remember how painful relationships are and question if it's really worth it. It's all there, and we seldom get a better look.

The depth of each and every character is amazing, not one character is left alone and closed to us. The directing and visual look and feel of the movie are stunning. Combining extremely technical and difficult shots with bumpy, flashlight lit, gritty and dark shots. The look of the movie changes drastically with the change in emotion and it all makes for a stunning array of shots.

The acting is top notch, Jim Carry brings his character to life as well as any dramatic actor. He leaves no doubt that he can carry a film as a dramatic lead. His character is easy to identify with, shy and unsure of himself you feel almost sorry for him. Kate Winslet nails an extremely off beat roll that is easily among her best performances. She defines quirky and random and mixes in a sex appeal with the normal wide array of female emotion. The result is a character you can identify with, a free spirit that is hard to love but brings so much to the table that you can't help yourself. Elijah Wood shows the darker desperate side of being young and unsure of yourself, unlucky with love. Kristen Dunst portrays the young girl with a crush wonderfully, she is desperate to appear smart and likeable. Mark Ruffalo brings the mostly innocent side into it as a somewhat lazy and slacking up and coming tech that was guilty only of loving someone who didn't love him back.

Kaufman lays it all out in front of us and lets us judge for ourselves what is worth the risk. He defines the weakness in people for us, but never passes judgment on it himself. This approach along with the acting, the directing, and the subject matter itself makes for a wonderful thought provoking movie that you can identify with. For all it's up's and down's, hardships and bliss, this movie shows you how life can be and asks only for you to give it a try, "What if you stay this time"?
Old 03-31-04, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I absolutely loved everything about this movie - directing, acting, story, pace, Carrey, faith was restored in Winslet's acting ability, discovered a cool director named Michel Gondry, great music, Carrey amazed me, Ruffalo solid once again and then there's just the overall greatness of the photography.

My husband thought it was weird, but I discounted his opinion on movies a long time ago.
Old 04-02-04, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by Flave
Just saw it again this weekend and noticed something new.

Spoiler:
in the very final scene of the movie before the credits roll, we see Joel+Clementine on the beach at Montauk. If you look carefully, you can see that the scene is repeating; in fact, it repeats at least three times before it fades to white. I believe this is an allusion to the fact that these two are destined to repeatedly rekindle their hopeless relationship.

And I think this is a much more subtle (and more interesting) portrayal of what another poster says was the ending in the original Kaufman script -- that these two indeed repeat the memory erasure many times well into their old age.

Just saw this movie...wow...what a great movie this was!

Spoiler:
I also noticed the looping of that final scene, where it replayed about 4 times. I had the exact same thought that this was supposed to hint to us that they will be cycling through this scenario many times. Now that I have read this thread and the comments about the scripts original ending I am even more convinced that this is what was being hinted at during the final sequence.

There is almost nothing better than the feeling you get when you are walking out of a theater after watching a great movie...this was one of those rare times!
Old 04-04-04, 10:06 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I saw this last night and felt as most of you did...great movie! I was so captivated by it all - the visuals and the story itself - I was very impressed!
Old 04-07-04, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Suprmallet

"I'm building...a bird house!"
I loved this movie from start to finish, but this was by far my favorite moment....I love David Cross!!!!! Why oh why couldn't there have been more of him in this, or anything for that matter!!

A completely brilliant film that I will watch again and definately own. just beautifully conceived and executed with perfection. I couldn't believe how not Jim Carrey Jim Carrey was....we know he has talent, he just needs to stop picking all those stupid ass movies that demand the rubber face.
His somber one is so much better...his performance was akin to Bill Murray in Lost in Translation I thought....

as for reviews...I just have to contribute this from one of the dozen or so negatives on RT...is it just me, or is this guy REALLY jealous of Kauffman :
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/click/...=3&rid=1263876

The very title of the picture is characteristic: it strikes a self-important tone, of course, but actually is deliberately snooty. And, as a quotation from a poem by Alexander Pope, it’s used as a prop for an adolescent joke that also offhandedly demeans one of the characters. There’s a puerile, smart-alecky quality to it that’s just a little distasteful. The same thing is true of the film as a whole. Ultimately it seems another unpleasantly glib, shallow demonstration of Kaufman’s self-satisfied cleverness, further marred by failed pretensions to profundity about romantic destiny. "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" has some good moments, to be sure, but I doubt whether even those who most praise it will really have enjoyed watching it all that much.
Old 04-09-04, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This movie spanks ass. I can't believe the depth it created, the emotionality, all the truthful nuances it touched on in dealing with people and relationships. I love this movie! I wanted to see it again, as soon as the credits began rolling - far too soon in my opinion. If anything, though, I felt like Dunst's character smelled like too much of a plot device toward the end. But this movie is fantastic. Everyone should see it. It's a shame that it's rated R, but what are you going to do.

And how hot and marvelous was Kate Winslet? Humminnah, humminnah!! Thank God Peter Jackson discovered her!!
Old 04-09-04, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That critic is cranky because his work doesn't accomplish much. Sorry to say, but it's true. People like him can only try to destroy that which is good, so **** 'em. (I apologize if this is offensive to anyone on the board.)
Old 04-09-04, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It's a shame that it's rated R,
Why is that? I never checked ratings when I was a kid, nor do I check them now. Only when internet whacko's point out that a film that should have been rated R is rated pg-13 and how much it's going to suck because of it do I ever notice the ratings. Besides, I doubt many folks under the R rating group would really care or understand the film. Those that would will obviously find a way to see it.
Old 04-09-04, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't express just how happy it makes me to hear almost everyone say how much they loved the film.

We need more films to come out of Hollywood like Eternal Sunshine.

What a breath of fresh air.
Old 04-10-04, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I just saw it again and I really think it's one of those movies that gets better the more you see it.

It's definitely already one of my favorite movies of all-time.
Old 04-11-04, 01:36 AM
Banned

It really didn't engage me like Adaptation and BJM did for some reason, but it might have been because I was really tired.

I thought the characters lacked depth, but in a lot of ways, that may have been the point. You kind of had to fill in a lot of the holes yourself. Maybe just not my thing...

The one thing that really stuck out and bothered me though was
Spoiler:
that the kid used Jim Carey's lines to seduce Clementine. But this doesn't make any sense, be he would never have had access to them through the procedure. So how did he know exactly what was said? To me, adding this in was lame and unnecessary.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.