Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

any dislikes about the movie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-03, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anyone have any dislikes about the movie...I had several...but ill save them til you respond so as not to reveal any of my secret dislikes
Old 12-19-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
The only thing I didn't like was Legolas and Gimli counting their kills during the war scene again. Just seemed repetitive to me.
Old 12-19-03, 10:35 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Many of the dislikes I have with the film I am sure will be helped with the Extended version(ie. not enough Denethor, not enough build-up to the Morannon). That's why I'm willing to forgive some of these problems while they may have tarnished other films.

That said.....the part where
Spoiler:
Frodo tells Sam to "go home"
was utter bulls***.

Last edited by Rivero; 12-19-03 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-19-03, 10:38 AM

Is it bad to reply to your own posts? no way...just thought that id say a part that probably wont get mentioned that much....the part when Frodo wakes up in Gondor after Mount Doom and he see Gandalf and says "Gandalf" in the most feminine way Ive ever heard. It sounded so cheesy....

Also....that same scene when all the fellowship characters walk in the room one by one...it was a bit corny...

Last edited by mwdkill; 12-19-03 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-19-03, 10:45 AM
Banned

Originally posted by mwdkill
and he see Gandalf and says "Gandalf" in the most homosexual way Ive ever heard.

Get over yourself and grow up.
Old 12-19-03, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My only major gripe with the film was that there was no Voice of Saruman scene with Christopher Lee. I was really looking forward to seeing
Spoiler:
Gandalf break Saruman's staff, and to see Wormtongue toss the Palantir through the window at Gandalf
Old 12-19-03, 10:49 AM

Yes, when frodo tells sam go home
That didnt bother me but sam going down the stairs did
There is no way sam would have taken one step down to go back
As in the book, "he will was set, and only death would break it"
Old 12-19-03, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
At the gates of Mordor, when all the ground collapses around the orc army, but our "gallant troops" are totally unscathed. It was just plain hokey.
Old 12-19-03, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by Rivero
Get over yourself and grow up.
I edited the post...are you happy
Old 12-19-03, 10:58 AM

I didn't think Shelob was big or disgusting enough. She's described as being so enormous and bloated. I always pictured her barely able to move her own weight around. She seemed better once they were out of the cave (creeping up on Frodo) but in the cave, I didn't think she was nearly terrifying or menacing enough.
Old 12-19-03, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by Seeker
At the gates of Mordor, when all the ground collapses around the orc army, but our "gallant troops" are totally unscathed. It was just plain hokey.
Ya i forgot about that part...That was kind of corny...plus i dont think that Mordor even collapsed like that in the book....i just remember Gollum falling into the pit and then it went to the next chapter....
Old 12-19-03, 10:59 AM

maybe gay but most people are used to knowing gandalf was alive because they are watching the movie
Sam and Frodo were did not know he came back after he fell with the Balrog
Old 12-19-03, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by finbogg
I didn't think Shelob was big or disgusting enough. She's described as being so enormous and bloated. I always pictured her barely able to move her own weight around. She seemed better once they were out of the cave (creeping up on Frodo) but in the cave, I didn't think she was nearly terrifying or menacing enough.
Ya i totally agree...she didnt look that scary...maybe some guts and juice or stuff drippin from her would of been better....in the book she is described a lot better but that goes without saying
Old 12-19-03, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by condorito
maybe gay but most people are used to knowing gandalf was alive because they are watching the movie
very good point! that got past me in the heat of the film. Frodo wakes up - and there is GANDALF!

Gandalf is supposed to be DEAD, as far as Frodo is concerned!
Old 12-19-03, 11:01 AM

ya but even the way he says it....terrible acting
Old 12-19-03, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't think it was that bad - it was more of the way PJ filmed it. He had Gandalf doin' some laughing and kept slow-motioning everything.
Old 12-19-03, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

- Smeagol/Deagol flashback prologue. Deagol getting dragged by the fish=worst sfx shot of the trilogy. Would've been better if it was Saruman's demise

- Anything Arwen. She's the only one who seems totally out of place in the movie.

- Overly-dramatized Reunion of the Fellowship. It was like a stupid curtain call at the end of a broadway show. And of course, the protagonist's "partner" is the last one thru the door. cheese.
Old 12-19-03, 11:13 AM
Banned

How cool would it have been to see a giant shadow in the shape of Sauron's hand reaching out to get the soldiers at the Morannon, just like in the book, right before the tower explodes? Instead all we get is a pissed-off looking lighthouse.
Old 12-19-03, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
- Smeagol/Deagol flashback prologue. Deagol getting dragged by the fish=worst sfx shot of the trilogy. Would've been better if it was Saruman's demise

- Anything Arwen. She's the only one who seems totally out of place in the movie.

- Overly-dramatized Reunion of the Fellowship. It was like a stupid curtain call at the end of a broadway show. And of course, the protagonist's "partner" is the last one thru the door. cheese.
Ya that was the stupidest part ever
Old 12-19-03, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rivero
all we get is a pissed-off looking lighthouse.
Hadn't thought of it that way, but that is funny! On my next viewing though, I think you've ruined that part for me.
Old 12-19-03, 11:44 AM
Banned

Originally posted by mwdkill
Ya that was the stupidest part ever
And yet the part that got the audience all choked up at all three of my shows.
Old 12-19-03, 12:03 PM

I don't mind Arwen, but tying her fate to that of the ring was just dumb and illogical.

I hated the digital Legolas jumping on the Horse in TTT, and I disliked how they had him mount the Oliphaunt (sp?) in ROTK. It just looked fake. Same thing with him "surfing" on the field in TTT and surfing the trunk in ROTK - it's like a desperate appeal to make him "cool" that just doesn't fit his character or the style of the movie.

The lava looked a bit fake

I don't remember this sequence from the book, but it struck me as kind of odd that the Rohirrim, who barely survived Helms Deep, were able to essentially scatter an army of 100000 orcs within a couple of minutes.
Old 12-19-03, 12:10 PM

This is what I tried to explain to my wife and her sister when they complained about that line too. I'm glad I went to see it without them the first time since they couldn't stop laughing at that and pointing out "homoerotic" stuff with Sam and Frodo. I wanted to sit a few rows away from them but that didn't go over well...
Old 12-19-03, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
I didn't like the way the great eye "searched" around Mordor like a spotlight. From the books, I always pictured the eye of sauron as more of a metaphorical thing rather than an actual "pissed off lighthouse".

I didn't like Frodo losing faith in Sam and sending him away, but it worked out well in that Sam got his proof what Gollum was up to.

I didn't really like the smeagol/deagol thing too much, but I thought the halfway transformed gollum (right before he went underground) was much freakier that the final version.

The only really bad effect shot I noticed was when Arwen's white horse rode up the ramp to Rivendell. Looked very poorly composited to me, and the horse was bright white even though it was twilight.
Old 12-19-03, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My beef was the lack of Saruman in the movie. I just visited another board and read this. Is this pretty much summing it up?
About Saruman: Although I was upset that they didn't tie up Saruman's end in the movie as they did in the book, they handled it well and... he IS mentioned. Did you come into the movie late? Treebeard goes on about him for a few lines, and Gimli says "Let's have his head and be done with it". Gandalf says "No! He has no power anymore...", and Treebeard says that he will watch him.

Saruman never was the main villian, he was simply a puppet for Sauron (as others have mentioned above). Sauron sent Saruman the orcs and the means to create the Uruk-hai and the army. It was Sauron that gave Saruman his orders (through the Palantir (that black orb)) and set things up so Saruman could attack Rohan while he attacked Gondor.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.