Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why did Stuart Townsend turn down Aragorn?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-17-03, 06:09 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Anyone know why he originally turned down the part? and if he is sore because of it. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-17-03, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I dunno if he's sore about it, but what I've read/heard is that he kept on insisting to Peter that he was too young for the role and Peter finally took his advice.
Old 12-17-03, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you are thinking of russell crowe. it is alleged crowe turned down the part. townsend was originally cast, but after a few days on the set, PJ said they realized he was too young for the part.

i never really believed this as that is why one has make up people. i have a feeling their parting had more to do with artistic differences....whatever that means.
Old 12-17-03, 06:46 PM

yeah he was casted
I heard it was townsend an PJ had differences in the interpretation of aragorn, the oh we decided he was too young was probably to avoid drama
They casted him, they knew how he was gonna look
Old 12-17-03, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Movi....ap/index.html
Old 12-17-03, 08:10 PM
Suspended

Well I'm glad they cast who they did. Anyone big vigo as Aragorn would have made it a totally different movie, IMO. He was great for the role, and if it was Russel Crowe, then all 3 of the films would have been thought of as "Russel Crowe movies" by most people... I'd rather see less known great actors than big superstars
Old 12-17-03, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
same reason why tom selleck turned down indiana jones. they just did.
Old 12-17-03, 10:50 PM

Townshend was fired; he didn't turn it down.
Old 12-18-03, 01:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Tom Selleck was set to play Indiana Jones but he was already in contract to play Magnum P.I. Much like Pierce Brosnan couldn't play James Bond (in the mid 80's) as he was already in contract for Remington Steele (which got cancelled shortly after).

I guess the key is don't get involved in a series that has a name that sounds like a gun.
Old 12-18-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
They actually filmed a bunch of scenes w/ Townshend, but he came off too young and they fired him - Jackson says as much in the extars on the Fellowship EE dvd (though he doesn't give Townshend's name).

Jackson's first choice for Aragorn was Daniel Day-Lewis, but he turned it down because of it's huge commitment.
Old 12-18-03, 10:51 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
If I were casting the films, I never would have picked Viggo Mortensen over Daniel Day-Lewis, but after seeing the final product I'm glad things turned out how they did.
Old 12-18-03, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Had Russell Crowe taken the part, he would have immersed himself in the role, as he does with every part. You would not look at him and think "Russell Crowe" - you would look at him and thing "Aragorn".

Probably going to catch some heat for this, since Viggo did such a fantastic job, but had Crowe done these movies they would be even MORE powerful...the guy is just that good of an actor!
Old 12-18-03, 11:27 AM

i also like using lesser known actors in situations like this. it would be hard to picture Maximus or the Butcher as Aragorn
Old 12-18-03, 11:33 AM
Suspended

I kept expecting Elrond to call Frodo Mr. Anderson
Old 12-18-03, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Had Russell Crowe taken the part, he would have immersed himself in the role, as he does with every part. You would not look at him and think "Russell Crowe" - you would look at him and think "Aragorn".
I completely agree.
Old 12-18-03, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Had Russell Crowe taken the part, he would have immersed himself in the role, as he does with every part. You would not look at him and think "Russell Crowe" - you would look at him and thing "Aragorn".

Probably going to catch some heat for this, since Viggo did such a fantastic job, but had Crowe done these movies they would be even MORE powerful...the guy is just that good of an actor!
But even moreso with DDL.
Old 12-18-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I cannot picture Russell Crowe as Aragorn. At all. I truly believe that if he had played him it would have ruined the trilogy for me. Viggo's performance in all 3 films is a study in subtlety. One of my favorite scenes with him came from the EE of FOTR, and it's when he is singing the Lay of Luthien to himself at night. Frodo asks him what happened to the lady he sings of, and just the look on his face when he says "She died", it just breaks my heart every time I see it. Russell Crowe could not have pulled that off IMO, and it's the little moments like the above mentioned that really defined the character of Aragorn for me.
Old 12-18-03, 04:10 PM

Who's Stuart Townsend? Ahhh..who cares. PJ did a perfect casting for the movie.
Old 12-18-03, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Viggo may of been the last choice, but he is the defining role. He has the looks and the subtle acting skills to do it.
Old 12-18-03, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Viggo was PERFECT for the role.

Originally posted by LivingINClip
Viggo may of been the last choice, but he is the defining role. He has the looks and the subtle acting skills to do it.
I think Viggo Mortensen was the best actor for the role of Aragorn because he is tall enough and has the right "rugged look" to look like a convincing Aragorn as Tolkien described him in The Fellowship of the Ring novel. Works for me!
Old 12-19-03, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

oh brother, EVERY time i see crowe... on screen, in character, or at an awards show ALL i think is "oh look, russel crowe:"... [yawn]. the guy has about as many different characters as Jack Nicholson has over the last 10 years.

j
Old 12-19-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jekbrown
oh brother, EVERY time i see crowe... on screen, in character, or at an awards show ALL i think is "oh look, russel crowe:"... [yawn]. the guy has about as many different characters as Jack Nicholson has over the last 10 years.

j
My thoughts exactly. I can only imagine that we would have seen some variation on Maximus if Russell had been Aragorn, complete with ridiculous English sounding accent.
Old 12-19-03, 11:54 AM

Crowe would've been decent because he's a good actor but Viggo has been great in the role and I can't imagine anyone else playing Aragorn.

Thank God, they got rid of Stuart Townsend -- he was horrible in the movies I've seen him in.
Old 12-19-03, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Viggo was great, but the only person who would have been even better (or at least as good) would have been Daniel Day-Lewis.
Old 12-19-03, 12:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably going to catch some heat for this, since Viggo did such a fantastic job, but had Crowe done these movies they would be even MORE powerful...
If Crowe had done these movies even more emphasis would have been taken from the hobbits and placed onto the "Hollywood superstar".

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.