Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

LOTR marathon viewers?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

LOTR marathon viewers?

Old 12-17-03, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
LOTR marathon viewers?

So, is anyone back from the LOTR marathon yet? I didn't get to go, not close to any theaters that were showing it. I just wanted to hear everyone's experiences. Oh, and please no spoilers for ROTK, I'm not going to get to see it until Saturday.
Old 12-17-03, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got back maybe 5 hours ago and it was great. We got a free gift for going and awesome..... simply awesome.
Old 12-17-03, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
What was the free gift?
Old 12-17-03, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The free gift was some cells from the film. The movie cells. THe poster. It was a great and wonderful experience.

The movie left me speechless..
Old 12-17-03, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
The free gift acts as salt on an already open wound of not getting tickets to the trilogy tues. damn you lucky bastards.

glad you guys enjoyed yourselves.. now sell me your goods.
Old 12-17-03, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Originally posted by raven56706
The free gift was some cells from the film. The movie cells. THe poster. It was a great and wonderful experience.

The movie left me speechless..
Old 12-17-03, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know where to go jack...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=29799

It's not mine, but I bet there will be a ton over the next couple days. I got mine by being there so I'm good.
Old 12-17-03, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
now sell me your goods.
As I said in the other thread, I'll see if I can get a hold of one for you from one of the guys in my group and I'll mail it to you for xmas if you want.
Old 12-17-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

High points for me were seeing TTT in it's extended form for the 1st time, viewing ROTK & spending the entire day with rabid LOTR fans!

Gifts received were 2 of those Sideshow Weta film senitype collecibles, 2 t-shirts with LOTR logos and "I survived Tuesday Trilogy 12.16.2003" on the back and a pair of all day passes in a plastic sleeve on a neck tether with half my ticket displayed on the back. They also had sack lunches for everyone and our theater manager entertained everyone between movies with his comedic banter.

It was great.
Old 12-17-03, 11:35 AM

Just wondering...how did you handle food...besides sack lunches. Did the theater offer anything more than the hotdogs and popcorn or did they allow you to bring your own food in. How much time did you have between films?

Though the first two films were the extended versions
I imagine the 3rd was the theatrical version.
Old 12-17-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by laserdogg
Gifts received were 2 of those Sideshow Weta film senitype collecibles, 2 t-shirts with LOTR logos and "I survived Tuesday Trilogy 12.16.2003" on the back and a pair of all day passes in a plastic sleeve on a neck tether with half my ticket displayed on the back. They also had sack lunches for everyone and our theater manager entertained everyone between movies with his comedic banter.
All we got was the senitype collectible, 1 each and the chance to purchase overpriced food.

But TTT:EE and ROTK!!
Old 12-17-03, 03:03 PM
Suspended

I watched my FOTR & TTT Extended Edition at home before hand, I liked that more anyhow. I like to be comfortable and stuff, ya know?
Old 12-17-03, 03:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
We only got the film-cel frame thing! Drat! Still, it was a freebie, so I can't complain TOO much.

The whole thing went off without a hitch, I was amazed. They ended up splitting the showings between two screens, so there was plenty of seating room. We got 30 minute breaks, but actually if you factor in the time that it takes the credits to run, that made it about 45 minutes. Not bad because the theater was in a little strip-mall type area, so it was easy to run to the sandwich shop across the street.

A great day. A little dazed today...I overslept and was an hour late for work!
Old 12-17-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by laserdogg

Gifts received were 2 of those Sideshow Weta film senitype collecibles, 2 t-shirts with LOTR logos and "I survived Tuesday Trilogy 12.16.2003" on the back and a pair of all day passes in a plastic sleeve on a neck tether with half my ticket displayed on the back.
It was great.
WOW, You lucky laserdogg.
Old 12-17-03, 05:17 PM

I went to the AMC theater in SC.

They did an outstanding job. Aside from the free gift.... they offered free refills on drinks all day, discounted popcorn, nachos, hot dogs, and pizza, and actually bought us all pizza from pappa johns.

Definitely a class act.
Old 12-18-03, 05:52 PM

I love the trilogy as much as the next guy, but how the hell do you stay awake for 12 hours of movie, I could never do it unless I was drinking coffee the whole time, which wouldn't work since I would have to go to the bathroom constantly, also doesn't that kill your ass, sitting in the same cramped position for so long? Congratulations if you made it, I don't think I could have
Old 12-18-03, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by TK-421
You know where to go jack...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=29799

It's not mine, but I bet there will be a ton over the next couple days. I got mine by being there so I'm good.

at 61.00, you would see why I dislike Ebay. I would rather scratch a fellow dvdtalker's back and spend that on something they might like instead of lining the pockets of those who are tainting the collecting market. I suspect it will be at the 100's before it's over. it's a shame that the collecting market has gotten to this point.

I would like to thank B.A.
Old 12-18-03, 06:15 PM

Anyone who'd like to dump their sideshow film strip thing for $50, let me know.

edit: nevermind, got one!

Last edited by chucks888; 12-18-03 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-18-03, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Congratulations on making it through all three movies.
Old 12-18-03, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
at 61.00, you would see why I dislike Ebay. I would rather scratch a fellow dvdtalker's back and spend that on something they might like instead of lining the pockets of those who are tainting the collecting market. I suspect it will be at the 100's before it's over. it's a shame that the collecting market has gotten to this point.

I would like to thank B.A.

Quick FYI....its not even worth $60.
Old 12-18-03, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The ebay mentality is the same as any typical credit card.. People don't realize how much they are dumping till they have to send the cash to the person. then it hits them. so bids go up real quick, not to mention the shilling factor. All part of why I disliked the way collecting stuff has become.
Old 12-18-03, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The ebay mentality is the same as any typical credit card.. People don't realize how much they are dumping till they have to send the cash to the person. then it hits them. so bids go up real quick, not to mention the shilling factor. All part of why I disliked the way collecting stuff has become.
Yeah....know how you feel

It's why I don't collect as much as I use to.

The same thing occurred with Jedi SE when Kenner/Hasbro offered an exclusive Luke Skywalker (POTF Jedi Knight) figure to the first 100 people during the first evening screening at select theaters across the country.

People were hording the damn things trying to create a false demand throughout the collector's market. I remember hearing about some Houston-area, theater mgrs that allowed their friends to take boxes of the damn things.

I would go to collector shows and see these figures and infamous short-packed items commanding ridiculous $$$$.....and the sad thing was........people were buying.
Old 12-18-03, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I hear you on that. I was first in line to see ROTJ and guess which figure I got.. Lando. FREAK'N LANDO! you know why? the theater manager horded the box of what was suppose to be given out and just picked up a case of the other series and bam gave those out.

don't get me started on the paint variation crap and then the .00000 stupidity.
Old 12-18-03, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hear you on that. I was first in line to see ROTJ and guess which figure I got.. Lando. FREAK'N LANDO! you know why? the theater manager horded the box of what was suppose to be given out and just picked up a case of the other series and bam gave those out.
....Jesus, that sucks!!!!!!!!!!!

don't get me started on the paint variation crap and then the .00000 stupidity.
I remember those days.....my all-time favorite was the "Open-Hand Version" of Han Solo in Hoth Gear.
Old 12-19-03, 08:11 AM

Yeah, it's just pent up demand right now.. if you think about it, there were 100 theaters doing this marathon, with an average of 200 seats per theater.. that means there are 200,000 of these film frames out there. They are not extremely rare, it'll calm down probably in a few months.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.