Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Return of the King - IMAX?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-16-03, 06:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

i thought I remember reading awhile back that there was talk of IMAX prints of the film, is this still happening?
Old 12-16-03, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know if there is an IMAX print, but it is showing at the IMAX screen across the street from my work.
Old 12-17-03, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bump ^^^ for anyone who has info on this.

I also remember a while back that IMAX couldn't show movies that were over a certain length. I think they used to cut the films b/c their reels could only hold movies that were like 2.5 hours and under. Is this still the case? Anyone out there been to an IMAX showing yet?

I assume this is no longer true, but I really dont know and there's an IMAX less than 5 miles from me that I'd love to see this in if there are no disadvantages to doing so.
Old 12-17-03, 04:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Dorsalphin
Bump ^^^ for anyone who has info on this.

I also remember a while back that IMAX couldn't show movies that were over a certain length. I think they used to cut the films b/c their reels could only hold movies that were like 2.5 hours and under. Is this still the case? Anyone out there been to an IMAX showing yet?

I assume this is no longer true, but I really dont know and there's an IMAX less than 5 miles from me that I'd love to see this in if there are no disadvantages to doing so.
IMAX did have this problem, so when they showed Attack of the Clones, it was cut (apparently for the better). However, they've fixed it now, so by the time Matrix Reloaded came out, they could show the entire film.
Old 12-17-03, 08:52 PM

That's not technically correct.

Two kinds of films are shown on IMAX: true IMAX films which were shot using IMAX film and which use the IMAX process, and blown-up 35mm films. All ordinary films shown on IMAX use blown-up, digitally-sharpened, 35mm prints. This goes for everything from the Matrix Revolutions to LOTR: RotK. That's why they aren't subject to the IMAX 2 hour limit; they aren't actually IMAX films, but merely ordinary 35mm films shown on the 100-million-zillion-story high IMAX screen.

The reason that Star Wars Episode II had to be cut to 2 hours was because it actually uses the IMAX film and was digitally transferred to the IMAX film using the IMAX process. All 'actual' IMAX films need to be less than 2 hours long, because that is the practical limit in terms of sheer weight and volume. An actual IMAX film weighs hundreds of pounds (!!) and is enormous. If you've ever seen an IMAX film projector, they literally weigh several tons and require enormous motors to spin the gargantuan IMAX film reels.
Old 12-17-03, 10:04 PM

Mr. Cornell, does that mean that picture of ROTK on an IMAX screen would look extremely grainy? I dont think I've ever seen a non IMAX movie on an IMAX screen.

Anyone out there who has already seen the movie on an IMAX screen care to comment? Which would you prefer given the choice?
Old 12-17-03, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I believe Reloaded was done the same way with SW:EPII, but that they have extended the length it can run (by like 30 minutes or somethign).

I'm about 95% sure that reloaded WAS NOT just a movie blown up.
Old 12-18-03, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

long steadycam shots, crane shots, and especially those helicopter shots give me motion sickness on IMAX screens. I have no doubt that the warning fires montage would make me queasy.
Old 12-18-03, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by RoQuEr
long steadycam shots, crane shots, and especially those helicopter shots give me motion sickness on IMAX screens. I have no doubt that the warning fires montage would make me queasy.
Attack of the Clones in Imax, gave me major motion sickness -when Anakin and Ben Kenobi were chasing the bounty hunter, agh! But I guess that's what Imax is all about.
Old 12-18-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My buddy and I saw TTT in Imax and it was a complete letdown.

In short, the three factors weighing against it were:

1) Screen is built in a 4:3 ratio, so the film essentially plays letterboxed.

2) Since it was playing off a blown-up 35mm print, the print was very grainy.

3) Any scenes with a lot of action were almost nausea inducing.

If you have any decent theatre in town, I would advise you to see it there before seeing it in Imax. The only good "real" movies I have seen there were Jurassic Park as we sat right at the front due to the time we arrived, and I would swear to you that I was looking for dinosaurs when we left the theatre, it made that much impression; and Top Gun, which is all about nausea-inducing motion.
Old 12-18-03, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I saw Kill Bill on IMAX, and it was absolutely amazing.

I also saw Armageddon on IMAX, and both the movie AND the experience made me want to throw up - but the presentation of it looked pretty good.

The sound on both films through all those crazy IMAX speakers were incredible - it was worth it for the sound alone.

So I guess it depends on the movie.
Old 12-19-03, 09:35 AM

ROTK is a blown up 35mm. I didn't find any scenes making me queasy. The only real complaint I had was the seating is especially cramped. I could barely move.
Old 12-20-03, 04:16 PM

some of the action scenes are already too close and cramped IMO , to crop it to IMAX framing would be downright annoying.
Old 12-21-03, 05:21 PM

It wasnt cropped in my IMAX theater, it just (obviously) did not take up the whole screen. Honestly, it really isnt that much bigger than seeing it on a good sized screen in a decent theater. Some theaters have smaller screens than others. I have noticed, for instance that Loews seem to have bigger screens than Hoyts.
Old 12-21-03, 06:23 PM

well, i saw FOTR at an IMAX theater and it was amazing! the screen is much bigger than a "regular" theater screen, even though it is letterboxed. i didn't see any grainyness. what amazed me though was the sound! i remeber when it was at the part where the nazgul are riding their horses through the green tower (what's the name?), the bass was soo loud that it caused me to jump in my chair! it literally pushed me out of the seat! the sound was amazing, though just a little too loud. 747 type loud.
Old 01-20-04, 10:17 AM

update:

I was just visiting California over the Martin Luther King Jr. weekend and I saw that in Los Angeles TimesCalendar film section that 'specially enhanced 35mm prints' are being showcased at a few IMAX theatres in the LA area. I would assume that these are the prints that bdrules and rushmore223 have seen, has anyone else seen these prints, thoughts?
Old 01-20-04, 10:32 AM

i must live in a box.. i didnt even realize that they showed "regular" movies at IMAX.. i thought only "journey to space, journey to the rainforest, etc" and such..

im a bass lover, and i find even the nicer theatres in my area dont seem to have the subs to push the serious action scenes, just volume.. im glad you included an audio review BD, i think ill have to check out the IMAX 4 miles from my house.. when the rocks from the catapults fall, i wanna feel that land
Old 01-22-04, 06:17 PM

I saw both Matrix Revolutions and ROTK in IMAX. And if given the choice, I will see every major action movie in IMAX again. There is visibly more detail and the sound is incredible. Its well worth the few extra bucks.

If you go to the cinema for the large screen and great sound system, then IMAX is the top of the heap. If you just want to see it because you can't wait for the DVD, then a regular theater should be adequate.