Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Garfield Teaser Trailer Online

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-12-03, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/garfield/index.html

PRO: Bill Murray as the voice.
CON: Garfield doesn't look quite right. And Odie is a mutt?

Why is Odie a real dog? (that doesn't even resemble Odie in any way, but i'm assuming its Odie) Booooooooooo. Horrible move. Maybe i'm just too fond of the animated series from when i was a kid... But i think Odie should be CG and have "charge!" played everytime he comes on screen.

Was it so hard to LOOK at a picture of garfield to get his coloring right. They know how to put black stripes on the 20th CF and Garfield Logo, but yet they don't put black stripes on the character.

Just seems like poor execution all the way around. On paper it sounded great. But on screen it just looks like "Cats & Dogs" under a new title.

Last edited by ClarkKentKY; 12-12-03 at 02:25 AM.
Old 12-12-03, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If they had done Odie in CG, he would have completely upstaged Garfield. Looks like a to me.
Old 12-12-03, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow. that both sucked and blew at the same time. I have second your question.. why is odie a real dog? and garfield doesn't even look like garfield. truely sad.
Old 12-12-03, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh man. I always thought Bill Murray would be great as the voice of Garfield (if he ever had one) but that looks terrible. I would have been more interested in a high quality, 2d animation.
Old 12-12-03, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Why is Garfield all hyper active? the cat was lazy as all hell..
Old 12-12-03, 03:09 AM

I don't know, maybe everybody hatin' on the film before I viewed the trailer influenced me, but I actually am looking forward to this one now. I had seen a teaser poster for it and scoffed like many others and when I clicked on the link for the trailer, I was ready to hate what I was about to see, but to tell you the truth, I loved it. It seemed fun to me. Maybe it isn't entirely faithful to the comic, but people get way too worked up over that kind of thing around here. I like Garfield as much as anybody, but c'mon. This may not be to everyone's taste, but I think it has a chance of actually being good.
Old 12-12-03, 03:11 AM

Jennifer Love Hewitt with glasses
Old 12-12-03, 07:39 AM

Funny coincidence--

Bill Murray played Peter Venkman in the Ghostbuster movies.
Lorenzo Music voiced Peter Venkman in the Ghostbuster TV show.

Lorenzo Music voiced Garfield in the TV show.
Bill Murray is voicing Garfield in the movie.

Old 12-12-03, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Now all they need to do is to make a Heathcliff movie.
Old 12-12-03, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Booth
Funny coincidence--

Bill Murray played Peter Venkman in the Ghostbuster movies.
Lorenzo Music voiced Peter Venkman in the Ghostbuster TV show.

Lorenzo Music voiced Garfield in the TV show.
Bill Murray is voicing Garfield in the movie.

Scary.. my friend pointed this out months ago.
Old 12-12-03, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Man that looks awful. Jennifer Love Hewitt AND Breckin Meyer? How much torture can one moviegoer take?
Old 12-12-03, 08:42 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
OMG - I hadn't even heard this was in the works. Looks pretty bad...
Old 12-12-03, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've tried to refrain from judging films based on teaser trailers, but this is just terrible. Utterly, utterly terrible.
Old 12-12-03, 10:18 AM

Wow. I LOVED Garfield as a kid, especially the animated show. But this is just wrong on so many levels. How in the hell did they screw up Odie that bad?

Ugh, well at least there's one movie I won't have to see...
Old 12-12-03, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Oh look: Garfield's doing the Risky Business scene annnnnnd he does bad Elvis impersonations
Old 12-12-03, 10:49 AM

Wow... that trailer did absolutely nothing for me.
Old 12-12-03, 11:01 AM

Well, I've been a Garfield fan for more years than I can remember. I still have some of the really old TV specials that my mother taped for me way back when. I've never stopped loving the Garfield strip and I've always enjoyed the cartoons. Having said that, this truly does look awful. In the first place I think the idea of making a live-action Garfield film was a stupid idea in the first place. There are certain cartoons that will translate well to film and others that just dont fit, and this is the latter. There are certain things about Garfield's entire design that we're all so used to but just wont look right in the movie world, whether its Jon's outfits, the layout of the house or that horrid blue and white spotted wall paper. Trying to put Garfield in a differently designed setting just doesn't work. Everyone's been complaining about the CG and everything, but damn has anyone bothered to look at the layout of the house? I know its a minor quibble, but at one point i saw Garfield moving past what appeared to be a CD player. I'm sorry, but anyone who knows Jon Arbuckle knows that no matter what year this movie takes place in, Jon is a record man. He's all about the vinyl. On that note, lets just look at the other characters. I can't really make any comment on Breckin Myer as Jon yet because he was only in the trailer for about 2 seconds and didn't say a thing, but he's still not the person I'd ever pick for Jon. Jennifer Love Hewitt as Liz...dear God. Liz is supposed to be a tough as nails straight forward all buisness type woman with great sarcasm who is both annoyed by Jon's advances and then sometimes feels sorry for him. I dont think any Garfield fan has ever thought of those traits and said "oh, Jennifer Love Hewitt, of course." And then there's Odie. Odie Odie Odie. I'm not even going to start on this because everything to be said about Odie has been said already, but I will say this...how hard is it to get the breed of dog right and to find one that's at least the right damn color? Seriously, how hard is that? *sigh* Well, I didn't have many good thoughts for this movie beforehand and now I really dont. If anything positive can come out of this, maybe it means Fox will start releasing the old cartoon specials on DVD to coincide with the movie. Here's hoping.
Old 12-12-03, 11:43 AM

I never thought this movie was gonna turn out any good, but that teaser managed to fall below even my already non-existent expectations. First of all, enough with the damn Risky Business spoofs! That flick's 20 years old(hard to believe), so come up with something else to parody. Same goes for the Elvis impersonation.

Secondly, what the hell were they thinking making Odie a real dog?! Were they afraid we wouldn't accept him as a CGI character? Cuz if we've already got Garfield being animated, why not Odie? It makes you wonder how badly they'll screw up Nermal.

And I agree with the above poster who said they got the set design all wrong. Jon's house is way too big and fancy. It makes you wonder if the people behind this movie ever even read the comic or watched the cartoon.
Old 12-12-03, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Agreed with Doughboy.

This flick looks like it'll put the "suck" in suckekekekekekekeke
Old 12-12-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by badger1997
...when I clicked on the link for the trailer, I was ready to hate what I was about to see, but to tell you the truth, I loved it. It seemed fun to me. Maybe it isn't entirely faithful to the comic, but people get way too worked up over that kind of thing around here.
Why the hell even call it Garfield if it won't be faithful to the comic..? I have nothing against "animated" animal flicks, but if you're going to be making a movie based on a pre-existing product, I think you should do your best to stay faithful to it..
Old 12-12-03, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just to add, I agree with Jack, he's supposed to be LAZY. As in sleep-all-day-don't-get-out-of-the-box lazy. And I know it's jsut a teaser but where was the lasagna????
Old 12-12-03, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by anakinforce
Well, I've been a Garfield fan for more years than I can remember. I still have some of the really old TV specials that my mother taped for me way back when.
Okay . . . the fact that you consider any period of time during which anything could be taped off of TV to be "way back when" just makes me feel old . . .

As for the movie . . . I've seen worse looking trailers (e.g., TCITH), but still . . . I'll probably just wait for it on until HBO . . .
Old 12-12-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Man, that's worse then Scooby Doo.
Old 12-12-03, 12:55 PM

I liked the "garfield stuck against the car window" gag, but other then that...meh. He seemed way too hyper-active.
Old 12-12-03, 01:17 PM

The problem is not that the movie has to be extremely faithful to the comic or cartoon...but this has almost NOTHING to do with Garfield at all. The similarities are (so far) thus: A Cat, orange, fat. Everything else is bypassed.

Thank god for midnight Toon Disney reruns of Garfield and Friends...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.