Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Get ready for more ‘pre-movie’ ads

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Get ready for more ‘pre-movie’ ads

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-03, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If they start putting more ads on the front of movies, the ticket prices better start coming down.
Old 12-10-03, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks like people getting upset over nothing....its minutes of ads "before the posted start time" Its like the printed ads that they used to project, except these move, I never heard of anyone complaining about those.

But what will I do without my weekly dose of Val Morgan MovieTunes?
Old 12-10-03, 08:44 PM

I love the Twenty, it's infinitely more entertaining than staring at a black screen and listening to "movie tunes".
Old 12-11-03, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

why are people even complaining about the 20?
Old 12-11-03, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
because it's the net, people need to bitch about something.
Old 12-11-03, 05:32 AM
Cool New Member

The twenty is terrible! It is loud poorly stylized mtv.... good god.

It is so loud you can't think and can't talk to the person next to you.... Terrible.

Do we really need stimulation before the movie starts? No, of course not. I for one, like the idea of 'a calm before the storm'.

-j
Old 12-11-03, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by JustInsane
If they start putting more ads on the front of movies, the ticket prices better start coming down.
Damn straight!

It'd be nice if general admission went down by a buck or two.
Old 12-11-03, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
because it's the net, people need to bitch about something.
Wow, I did not realize the difference of opinion.

I was not "bitching" about anything. I was suprised to find an article about something that has been happening for a while.

Personally I have never seen this particular form of advertising. The last few movies I went to all had ads and commercials both before and after the trailers. No movie I went to started "on time", leaving me to conclude that the "start" times were the times the ads start. This was at two different theater chains.

Many people arrive after the "start" time to avoid the ads. This is further disruption for those who wanted to pay for a ticket and watch a show.

I am sorry the theaters do not make money from ticket sales. I am sorry if people actually enjoy this type of forced marketing. I am thrilled that I no longer need put up with this poor business model.
Old 12-11-03, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Brian Shannon
Wow, I did not realize the difference of opinion.

I was not "bitching" about anything. I was suprised to find an article about something that has been happening for a while.

Personally I have never seen this particular form of advertising. The last few movies I went to all had ads and commercials both before and after the trailers. No movie I went to started "on time", leaving me to conclude that the "start" times were the times the ads start. This was at two different theater chains.

Many people arrive after the "start" time to avoid the ads. This is further disruption for those who wanted to pay for a ticket and watch a show.

I am sorry the theaters do not make money from ticket sales. I am sorry if people actually enjoy this type of forced marketing. I am thrilled that I no longer need put up with this poor business model.

Are these ads you mention specifically The Twenty that was mentioned in the article? As I, and many have already said, the Twenty does not delay movie times any furthur then they already were. This isn't disrupting anyone, and i can't imagine people getting to a movie theater early for peace and quiet
Old 12-11-03, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Personally I have never seen this particular form of advertising
From my previous post.

If you like it good for you, I am sure the theaters appreciate your business.
Old 12-11-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

For an NBC sponsered venture, i would think that the article would explain that The 2wenty doesn't interrupt movie viewers anymore then before, instead of mentioning viewer distaste for ads making it sound like they do.

Nevertheless, your wit and sarcasm are appreciated. Enjoy The 2wenty.
Old 12-11-03, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JustInsane

wishful thinking at it's best!
Old 12-11-03, 03:48 PM
Banned

They've had "The Twenty" for a long time now.

I much prefer it to the old way of doing things where if the movie was scheduled to start at 7:00 then the ads started at 7:00, followed by the previews, and finnally the film.

This way the ads play before 7:00 while people are finding their seats.

The only BIG problem I have with "The Twenty" is that it's played really loud and is totally bombastic. It wants to deter you from talking with people in the theater and force you to submit to its crappy ads. It's one step away from Minority Report.
Old 12-11-03, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

new idea: when people who cry about advertising go to see a movie, they get to sit in a special theater that shows NO advertising before films. Tickets are $40. step right up.

j
Old 12-11-03, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
i went to a theater the other day and they had something similar. all of the ads were like powerpoint slides, and they showed music videos and stuff. it actually kept my attention as a decent idea.
Old 12-11-03, 10:51 PM
Doctorwho

Originally posted by clemente
Looks like people getting upset over nothing....its minutes of ads "before the posted start time" Its like the printed ads that they used to project, except these move, I never heard of anyone complaining about those.

But what will I do without my weekly dose of Val Morgan MovieTunes?
Cinemark Movie Theaters?

I used to work there. And they do have commericals playing before the movie now anyways, like the coke commericals and the nice bod deoderent commericals. As a guy who used to get massive complaints from the commericals and getting yelled at frequently I don't like them one bit. Especially when the customers use that as an excuse to not clean up after themselves.

And from the fan stand point I think it kind of takes the magic out of the movies. The slides were never a problem because they were silent and didn't involve flashing and distracting lights. Easy to ignore.

I think theaters are losing money nowadays because of the commercials and they're also gaining money because of commercials. It's like a drug addict who keeps doing drugs because his life sucks and his life sucks because he keeps doing drugs. Victum of their own device.

But on a different note isn't there, i think edwards?, a theater that refuses to use commericals?
Old 12-11-03, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Edwards = Regal = The 2wenty
Old 12-12-03, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The cinema I go to has been playing the 2wenty for well over a year now. It's not that big of a deal for a lot of people, as much get there right when previews are starting.
Old 12-12-03, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
"Jimmy, Jimmy, are you aware, there's more to life than underwear"
Old 12-12-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
If this keeps ticket prices from jumping a buck every six months, why would anyone be against it?
Old 12-12-03, 04:06 PM
Doctorwho

Originally posted by cdollaz
If this keeps ticket prices from jumping a buck every six months, why would anyone be against it?
Movie prices go up because minimum wage goes up. This isn't going to effect the ticket prices.
Old 12-12-03, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Doctorwho
Movie prices go up because minimum wage goes up. This isn't going to effect the ticket prices.

Do you actually know when the last time the minimum wage went up?
Old 12-13-03, 11:27 AM
Doctorwho

Originally posted by Deftones

Do you actually know when the last time the minimum wage went up?
Yeah Januray. It went up to 7.25, a year before that it was 6.75, before that 6.25.
I guess that maybe I know that because I worked at a national theater that would increase the prices once minimum wage went up.

If you dont belive me go look at the ticket price and popcorn prices now, then go back and check in January. In about a month.
Old 12-13-03, 04:54 PM

Are you talking about the federal minimum wage? The fed min. wage is still $5.15.
Old 12-13-03, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Doctorwho
Yeah Januray. It went up to 7.25, a year before that it was 6.75, before that 6.25.
I guess that maybe I know that because I worked at a national theater that would increase the prices once minimum wage went up.

If you dont belive me go look at the ticket price and popcorn prices now, then go back and check in January. In about a month.
Hate to tell you bro, but that's your states minimum wage. The federal one is still $5.15 and has been for quite some time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.