Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Training Day essay topics

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-03, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With final papers due next week i need to write a critical analysis on a film or tv show and wanted to do Training Day. Does anyone here have any ideas for a topic? Thanks
Old 12-09-03, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Wouldn't that be cheating? And shouldn't you have started this earlier? And did you eat your vegetables tonight?
Old 12-09-03, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why Training Day? I think there are better movies to write about. (Not that this is a bad movie.)
Old 12-09-03, 08:18 PM

hey i have til next friday to complete it. i have no money to rent a movie so i need to work with what i have. should i write it on another movie like...

memento
road to perdition
minority report
terminator 2
swordfish
wild things

i have some comedy movies but are they good to write a paper on? my friend has godfather and scarface if you think i could write a paper on those but i would like to work with the movies i have.
Old 12-09-03, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What prompted you to think Training Day?
Old 12-09-03, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by dahl0633
wild things

I would write a "critical analysis" on a certain scene in this movie.
Old 12-09-03, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think Minority Report would be by far the best to write about from your list. The idea or notion of the state arresting individuals for "thinking" about commiting murder could make a good paper -- there many things to write about -- just from legal, political, and philosophical perspectives. This is an easy one.
Old 12-09-03, 08:38 PM

ya im probably going to write it on minority report. i just need to narrow down the topic. the teacher says the paper should be a critical analysis rather then a review and he is not interested in whethere i liked it or not, but what place it has in our culture. does anyone have any ideas on an angle i could take?
Old 12-09-03, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If it's a critical analysis from a cinematography standpoint (like for a film class or something) I would go with Memento.

If not for a film class, go with Road To Perdition. The family/career relationships in there are just begging to be analyzed.
Old 12-09-03, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, with Minority Report, you could write about how how today's ills of society are treated (and carried over) in the future. With Training Day,you could take a more literary view, examining Denzel's character as the true hero of the story (in the same manner as Satan in Paradise Lost, for example).

MR's a much easier shot, I'd say. Read some reviews, and read some magazine articles. Are you familiar with Film Comment, or Sight & Sound?
Old 12-09-03, 08:48 PM

thanks alot for the help. im not familiar of those sites... is it just filmcomment.com and sightandsound.com?
Old 12-09-03, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Um.. they're not sites... they're magazines (am I that old?).

You can find them at good bookshops (S & S is imported) like Borders and Barnes & Noble. You could find some stuff online, sure, but I'm not google.
Old 12-09-03, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

As far as Minority Report is concerned-

You could stress on the increasing infringement of privacy the government imposes on its citizens ( you could draw a parallel between the current administration and the practice of the National Security Agency) – there is plenty of analysis you could draw from the above point of view.

You could stress on the increasing dependence between society and technology-

You could stress on the vulnerability that the social justice has (the fear of police ordinance/state that Minority Report implied).

Etc,…….

Who is your professor….what school? He might be a colleague of mine that I know
Old 12-09-03, 09:01 PM

I go to the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities and William Bush is the professor. Thanks for the help so far.
Old 12-09-03, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

hmmmmm.....dont know him.....

but sure......you could use my hints. Let us know how you did on your paper (you could thank me later with a cheap dvd )
Old 12-09-03, 09:13 PM

haha maybe i will
Old 12-09-03, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I once wrote a critical analysis of Pink Floyd's The Wall. Everytime I watched it I found something new. I must have watched it 10 or more times to write that paper.

I got an A on the paper. I guess I did something right. I was never crazy about writing. That paper was actually fun to write.
Old 12-09-03, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you could draw a parallel between the current administration and the practice of the National Security Agency
Give me a break. Let's try to leave our "Bush hatred" out of this.
Old 12-09-03, 10:38 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe you could do a critical analysis of the development of the colloquialism "Have you ever gotten your **** pushed in?"

Moving to Movie Talk.
Old 12-09-03, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I just did an essay on the Sopranos in my class.
Old 12-09-03, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by DavidH
Apparently its been a while since you've been in school. Sometimes the best tool in writing an essay isn't good facts, its how well you can write a convincing paragraph of bullshit.
Old 12-10-03, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by cross
Apparently its been a while since you've been in school. Sometimes the best tool in writing an essay isn't good facts, its how well you can write a convincing paragraph of bullshit.
A convincing paragraph?
Old 12-10-03, 12:13 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
"Denzel Washington helped Ethan Hawke become a cop, but lead him astray in the end. Just like some random people on the internet wrote this essay for me, but..."
Old 12-10-03, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by DavidH
I was not aware I was promoting/implying any "Bush hatred". I was rather making a point that a well-debated current issue could be the topic of his paper.

Good thing you are not a college/university professor...I would love to see how you would react if a student indeed draws a political parallel that links the existing political environment with one of his/her favorite films. God forbid there is some criticism implied that the student wont be able to "convincingly" defend.

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 12-10-03 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-10-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love stuff like this. Any professor that lets you write about a movie is just cool.

When I was in college, I took a 400-level English course (read: generally just for English majors) on Modern American Literature just for fun and because I heard that the teacher was really good (I know . . . geek ). My mid-term paper was "A Comparison of Commonalities Between the Characters In Modernist Literary Works and the Contemporary Movie Reality Bites and Their Reactions to A Disrupted Society". Basically, it was about the similarities between how the main characters in Reality Bites (representing the X Generation) diplayed the same kind of tendancies in their lives as the the Modern Generation, as represented by characters in F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby", Ernest Hemingway's "The Sun Also Rises", and two poems by T. S. Elliot ("The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" and "The Waste Land").

Not only was it a fascinating bit of research, but I also got to watch Reality Bites four times in two days as "homework"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.