Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone watch the new cut of Alien 3 yet?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-05-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched it last night and i thought it made the film better. The CGI Alien is still horrible, but the film as a whole is a great improvment over the original theater cut, IMHO.

Anyone else watch it yet? Your thoughts?
Old 12-05-03, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YTou say the CGI alien is still horrible. Does that mean the new effects work is horrible? Or the old work in the original release of Alien 3 which wasn't CGI. Cause I heard they CGI'd some new shots.
Old 12-05-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looks like the same work in the orginal version. It's mostly horrible when the alien is running around, up close it looks good. I thought they had used CGI or something similar to that in the original cut.

There is a new scene where after the lil alien is "born" it takes off running and that looks a lil bit better then how it is seen later on doing the same thing.

Not sure exactly which effect shots are new/redone though. Need to watch the orginal again to see.
Old 12-06-03, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im trying to figure out what the purpose was to trade out the ox for the dog. Was it because of all of the finding of the ship and such that was also cut out for the theatrical version? I dunno, I could be totally wrong here, but the ox helps explain why the alien is so big when it first emerges (a lot more room to grow).

I didnt quite catch why Golic was obsessed with the alien and wanted to see it again (perhaps just because hes a genetic f**kup??). Either way, I liked the alien being captured/then released. Its kinda funny going back and watching the theatrical version, when the guy says "Hey I found another one" (referring to the people that died from the fire), and its Golic on the ground, even though hes still chained up in the infirmary.

I was also very happy to see the alien not burst out of Ripleys chest at the end. Its so obvious that was a studio idea and is just the kind of hokiness this movie doesnt need.

Compared to the theatrical version, I give this movie an A+. As a movie, particularly one thats a sequel to Alien and Aliens, I give it a B-, mostly just because of its length. There was some dialogue that probably didnt need to be in there, which caused some parts to drag on. Regardless, anytime I decide to watch Alien3, Ill definitely be watching the "directors cut"