Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Last Samurai - THE movie to beat in 2003

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Last Samurai - THE movie to beat in 2003

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-03, 02:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought they handled Taka's distain for Algren very well in one see with her and Katsumoto...I think she loves him because her children too and I think there is a definate attraction there right off the bat...
Old 12-07-03, 02:56 PM
Cool New Member

I just got back from seeing The Last Samurai, and I couldn't agree more. This is the movie to beat in 2003. I loved every single moment of this movie.

A+
Old 12-07-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I liked it until
Spoiler:
it started going off the rails with the jailbreak. From then on there seemed to be a challenge to see how many cliches and improbabilities they could cram in the last third or so of the movie (not that there weren't some before that but it was manageable up to that point). Unfortunately, I think the weight of all that sunk the film.

**½ / ****.
Old 12-08-03, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This was the most anticipated movie of the year for me and I'm glad I wasn't disappointed.

Strangely enough, I went into the movie, POSITIVE that I would love it so as I watched it, I decided to nitpick at certain parts of the movie just to keep myself grounded.

Here are some of my nitpicks:

Spoiler:

How the hell did Katsumoto learn how to speak English so well? Not only that, he can read it! Maybe a dumb nitpick, but it irritated me enough to where I was wondering to myself during the movie.

Algren's last duel with Ujio where they come to a draw. Yeah right. A samurai who's used a sword his whole life against a westerner who's been using one for less than a year (I doubt Algren practiced much with his saber). Is it possible? Sure. Is it likely? No.

Nobutada would not have let some random buttmunch with a rifle cut off his top knot.

Those are the main nitpicks that I had. Still, they weren't so bad as to not let me enjoy the movie. I loved it. I will agree that the ending kind of sucked, though. I had to do my best to suppress my laughter while the emperor spoke.

I think the movie should have explained the Bushido code a little more for the scores of people who don't understand it (I assume that there are a lot) and are not familiar with samurai. Along with that, they could have probably went into more detail as to why seppuku (AKA hara-kiri...ritual suicide) is so important to Bushido and samurai. I hope people who see this movie understand all of that because it's an important part of of the movie and of Japanese history.

Speaking of history, I'm not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere, but the Katsumoto character (and therefore the movie) was based upon the real life of the samurai Takamori Saigo.

Ken Watanabe was brilliant as Katsumoto; I thought he did a better job than Cruise (though Cruise will probably be given the lion's share of the credit).

Old 12-08-03, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by TCG
the CGI was very obvious to me (maybe bc i was sitting in the 2nd row), but it occasionally took me out of the film.
Yeah, the CGI wasn't very good, by today's standards. The harbor scene obvious.

The worst was a long, crane shot of a village, or something. Anyway, as it swooped up, it went behind a lamp post or tree, and on te other side, it suddenly became CG. I guess it was supposed to help make a seamless transition, but it was completley obvious. The CG version didn't match the real version. It looked to fake
Old 12-08-03, 05:10 AM
Banned

I didnt notice the CG...which means its good CG...I was so into the story it didnt matter...and Im a big CG nitpicker...
Old 12-08-03, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can't say I was disappointed. My expectations were low, propelled more by curiosity than interest in Zwick, Cruise or the story.

It was picturesque, with a kind of superficial beauty. Usually the long shots make an epic, or at least instill an awe and appreciation for what's being depicted. But man, the long shot never looked emptier than in The Last Samurai. The battles were exciting enough, I yearn to watch Ran again.

Symptomatic of my feelings of the film: When Algren returns in the spring and goes to see the Japanese industrialist (Omura) in his office, there was a massive painting that we only see the bottom half, looked like some man getting trampled by a horse. I was more interested in seeing the whole canvas than any dialogue or action in that scene.
Old 12-08-03, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Haven't had a chance to catch the movie yet. Those who did or intend to might be interested in the current episode of History vs. Hollywood airing tonight on cable's The History Channel. Tonight's episode focuses on the film The Last Samurai; it's on at 8pm (EST) and repeats at midnight (EST). Also, airing after the History vs. Hollywood episode on The Last Samurai, they will be showing a 2-hour documentary on the Samurai. The documentary also repeats at 1am (EST).
Old 12-08-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks, flixtime. I'm going to watch it.
Old 12-08-03, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by immortal_zeus

Spoiler:

Algren's last duel with Ujio where they come to a draw. Yeah right. A samurai who's used a sword his whole life against a westerner who's been using one for less than a year (I doubt Algren practiced much with his saber). Is it possible? Sure. Is it likely? No.
Spoiler:
That part didn't really bother me that much. Sure, it's unlikely that Algren would win, and the fact is that he normally didn't win their fights. I don't think it's too much of a stretch though, especially considering the heavy emphasis on "learning your enemy", that Algren was able to come to a draw one time with somebody he'd fought (I'm guessing dozens/hundreds) of times before in practice.

The part that bugged me was an unarmed Algren taking out four armed attackers... that was the biggest B.S. moment in the whole movie for me. I think my eyes almost detached and rolled all the way back into my head.
Old 12-08-03, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It should have good word of mouth going into the second weekend, the box office was nothing to write home about.

But it was a 2 hour, 45 minute (w/previews) R-rated film, so you have several strikes against you right there.
Old 12-08-03, 07:27 PM

I don't care what anyone says, this movie was great. It's one of the best films of the year. You can nitpick *ANY* movie to death, and you're always going to find something to criticize and write home negatively about. For me, I couldn't find anything wrong with it, and I didn't notice any bad CGI (usually I notice such things, like in The Matrix Reloaded's "Burly Brawl", for example). Tom Cruise gave one of his best performances, IMHO, and although I typically don't like his movies, he deserves special recognition here. Bash Tom Cruise for the other movies he's been in, but in this one, he was fantastic. Overall, it was well worth my time to see The Last Samurai, and most of the negative reviews I have read deal with things that shouldn't affect anyone's enjoyment of the movie. I fully recommend this one.
Old 12-08-03, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It was alright. Nothing special and nothing we haven't seen before. You could guess what people would be like and each scene's outcome.
Old 12-08-03, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw, it, loved it. I'd give it a 9/10.

But I have a question, I heard it somewhere, can't remember where exactly. But I was told that this was a true story, at least based on one. Is this true?
Old 12-08-03, 10:50 PM

Katsumoto may have been based on Takamori Saigo

quote from http://www.artelino.com/articles/samurai.asp

Many samurai were desperate with their situation and the loss of their former status. They gathered under Takamori Saigo, the head of a powerful clan living in the southern region on the island of Kyushu. Saigo had worked for the new Meiji government in a leading position. But after nine years he became dissatisfied with the direction things took under the Meiji emperor. He quit and gathered around his Kyushu residence an army of samurai hostile towards the central imperial government.

In 1877 it came to the battle of Satsuma. The rebels were lead by Saigo Takamori. It was a clash of traditional samurai weapons against a modern army equipped with Western technology and trained in modern Western warfare. 60,000 government troops faced 40,000 rebels. The battle was a short one. The samurai rebels fought bravely but were completely defeated in a bloody battle. Saigo Takamori was wounded and committed suicide in samurai tradition. The casualty rate was more than 50% percent among the samurai rebels. 2,000 more were executed later.

Saigo Takamori became a hero for the Japanese. The victorious emperor made a clever move. He pardoned Saigo posthumously.
Old 12-08-03, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by syphon00
Katsumoto may have been based on Takamori Saigo
That's what I said in my post (2nd to the last paragraph).

Old 12-09-03, 08:32 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
While technically amazing, the majority of the film was a mess. The villians cookie cutter and one-dimensional. Japanese characters conviently being able to speak English. A cliched and implausible romance. Timothy Spall's character that could have easily been expendiable. Ken Watanabe out- acting Cruise (his over angsty expressions got grating and excessive). The typical 'Hollywood' music score that was over the top and unnessary, if Zwick was true to his admiration for Japanese cinema, he would have known that music is more of an after thought to the genre, and importantly, character and story are the key elements in telling a story. The historical impression that Japanese feudalism - specifically samurais lived a simple, honourable lifestyle juxatoposed with 'progressive' Western conversion (seen in the film as a negative) - was condescending to a society that benefitted largely from Westernism. Style over substanance is a major flaw in "The Last Samurai".

Last edited by Giles; 12-09-03 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-09-03, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by Giles
A cliched and implausible romance.
What romance? Did we watch the same movie????
Old 12-09-03, 09:27 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Algren and the samurai widow. When she gives him the armour, if you didn't get the subtle romance there, where were YOU? It was a feeble attempt to hint at an aspect of Algren that was unecesarry and plot device for him to wear to armour.

Last edited by Giles; 12-09-03 at 09:30 AM.
Old 12-09-03, 12:56 PM

Man, some people just don't get it. I thought that scene was great, and it didn't end the way it should. The fact that Tom Cruise never once locks lips with the samurai window shows how this movie isn't cliched, and that their romance was developed to a bare minimum, to the point where it didn't even resemble a romance found in most movies. Overall, complaining about this movie having a "cliched and impossible romance" is an absolutely terrible nitpick. It entertained on many levels, and the romance wasn't overbearing or in-your-face; on the contrary, it was barely there. So, I think if you're going to complain about that, then you're looking for the wrong things in movies.
Old 12-09-03, 01:51 PM

I thought the movie was OK at best. While it was all fairly well done, it just felt like something we've already seen before. The CG some of your were discussing- it was fairly noticeable on the wide scenic shots. I don't know how you can miss them. (example: the wide revealing shot of "San Francisco" towards the beginning.) But I did see the movie on a huge digital projection screen, so maybe it was more noticeable.

Those were obvious CG 'money shots'. (which are almost completely absent from "Master and Commander" which impressed me greatly) They didn't bother me really, they get the job done, but it does take me out of the movie. Also, this may be just me, but the New Zealand landscape was very distracting. It does not look like Japan to me at all. In fact much of the scenes in the grass valley reminded me of "hobbiton", with the appropriate Japanese hut sets added of course.

The movie on the whole was just extremely cheesy to me:

Spoiler:
Tom Cruise is the one guy that survives out of what- 5000 samurai? Especially since he's the guy they were aiming for, along with Katsumoto? Please. Tom Cruise's teary presentation of Katsumoto's sword- awful. Also the score in particular was supremely over the top and dramatic which did not help things.

Last edited by chucks888; 12-09-03 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-09-03, 02:37 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Count me as a big fan of this movie. Wanted to see it since I saw the original trailer so many months ago. I was not disappointed. The audience I saw it with was equally captivated and fortunately they didn't clap after scenes as was mentioned by someone several pages ago.

Spoiler:
To answer someone's earlier question as to how Katsumoto knew how to speak English. It was hinted at towards the end of the movie that Katsumoto used to be a regent or member of the Emperor's advisory council (like Omura) before quitting in disgust. This could be how he came to learn English.

And someone else said that he was dismayed by how many of the Japanese characters could conveniently speak English. To my recollection, only 3 were able to. Omura, Katsumoto, and the Emperor. Everyone else spoke only Japanese. At least that's how I recall it.

Oh and the best scene to me
Spoiler:
Was the assasination attempt with the ninjas. At the end when Algren and Katsumoto end up in the house. Simply amazing. Only one other movie scene has gotten my adrenaline pumping in the theater like that (the Heat bank robbery).

-BT

Last edited by BT; 12-09-03 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-09-03, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by metaridley
. . . The fact that Tom Cruise never once locks lips with the samurai widow shows how this movie isn't cliched, and that their romance was developed to a bare minimum . . .

. . . and the romance wasn't overbearing or in-your-face; on the contrary, it was barely there . . .
Right, barely there: underdeveloped, pointless. If the film had any confidence in the story it was telling or even the relationship between Algren and Katsumoto there would be no need for this empty romance. It's just a useless plot device to get Cruise into Samurai armor. And it's not a nitpick when
Spoiler:
the ridiculous coda (relating to this tacked-on romance) undermines the entire film before it.

The Last Samurai overstates itself, trapping itself into a set of principles that it won't even adhere to by the end. Characters are hollow and typical despite the best efforts of certain actors (Watanabe being the only lead to communicate any type of charisma or depth, despite the script). The look of the film is purely decoration, the characters are solely in the foreground. They don't inhabit this world, they pose in front of it. The music is dull. And even the scenes inspired by past Japanese masters are cheapened by the context in which they appear.

These are some pretty big nitpicks: Theme, Characterizations, Visuals, and Music. I can enjoy a film that's faulty in some of these areas, but I won't let it off the hook.
Old 12-09-03, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

...yet most people still love it. As they should. I think the general consensus is that this is a very enjoyable movie. I agree with said consensus.
Old 12-09-03, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by Corvin
...yet most people still love it. As they should. I think the general consensus is that this is a very enjoyable movie. I agree with said consensus.
That's fine, got no qualms here about its popularity. Possibly people love it for the exact same things I criticize, and that would be great. I just took issue with the belief that any criticism of the movie is completely unfounded and miniscule.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.