Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What about THIS Matrix question?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-03, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I've always been curious why Agent Smith always calls Neo "Mr. Anderson" (except for the one time where the Oracle is supposedly in control of Smith's body in Revolutions). Any thoughts? The only thing I can think of, in keeping with the religious overtones of the movie, is that by calling him Neo, Smith would be accepting his existence as "the One", but by calling him by Mr. Anderson, he keeps with his aetheism. That's just my theory. What's yours?
Old 11-28-03, 09:34 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Nothing too complicated going on here. As an Agent, Smith is programmed to address people in a formal manner.
Old 11-28-03, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
Nothing too complicated going on here. As an Agent, Smith is programmed to address people in a formal manner.
Okay, but he does call Morpheus "Morpheus".
Old 11-28-03, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by wfujosh
Okay, but he does call Morpheus "Morpheus".
That may be because he doesn't know Morpheus' real name. Also, because "Mr. Lewandowski" isn't quite as cool.
Old 11-28-03, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude, ever see the first film?

Remember, Agent Smith met "Mr. Anderson" before he was jacked out of the matrix and then went by his hacker alias "Neo." I'm sure Agent Smith knew of his hacker alias, but would just rather call him Mr. Anderson.

That and Hugo Weaving sounds totally kick-ass when saying "Mr. Anderson."
Old 11-28-03, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Actually, when Smith calls him Neo at the end of the SuperBrawl, he says "I'm supposed to say something...everything that has a beginning has an end, Neo" and that's what clues Neo in that the Oracle has spoken through Smith and that pronouncement is what allows Neo to see that, while he could go on fighting Smith all day, he needs to let Smith try to assimilate him so that he'll be able to destroy Smith from within. By the Oracle (within Smith) calling Neo "Neo", it's the signal that turns the whole confrontation around. It's a very subtle point that many people miss on their first viewing of the film.
Old 11-28-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
He calls Cypher by his real name in the first film.
Old 11-28-03, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Mr. Reagan.
Old 11-28-03, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
What I want to know is how the heck Cypher got in and out of the Matrix without the aid of an Operator (or at least another traitor who knew more or less how to operate those brain plug things) in order to have his secret meeting with Agent Smith.
Old 11-29-03, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Patman •<HR SIZE=1>Actually, when Smith calls him Neo at the end of the SuperBrawl, he says "I'm supposed to say something...everything that has a beginning has an end, Neo" and that's what clues Neo in that the Oracle has spoken through Smith and that pronouncement is what allows Neo to see that, while he could go on fighting Smith all day, he needs to let Smith try to assimilate him so that he'll be able to destroy Smith from within. By the Oracle (within Smith) calling Neo "Neo", it's the signal that turns the whole confrontation around. It's a very subtle point that many people miss on their first viewing of the film. <HR SIZE=1>

Did you even read his post?

Anyway, as others have said, I always assumed it was because he had already known Neo as "Mr. Anderson." After that, it was his way of establishing an aggressive position by not acknowleding "Neo."

das
Old 11-29-03, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by Patman
By the Oracle (within Smith) calling Neo "Neo", it's the signal that turns the whole confrontation around. It's a very subtle point that many people miss on their first viewing of the film.
That was meant to be subtle? Oh. Wow.
Old 11-29-03, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally posted by RocShemp
What I want to know is how the heck Cypher got in and out of the Matrix without the aid of an Operator (or at least another traitor who knew more or less how to operate those brain plug things) in order to have his secret meeting with Agent Smith.
In an earlier scene (right before?) we see Cypher at the operator's board. He then quickly shuts off what he's doing when Neo walks in. This was Cypher setting up to jack in.

As for getting out, I assume he had some prescripted macro ready that would call him so he could get out. I don't think an operator is required for jacking in/out, although it'd probably be suicide for someone to try sans operator, unless they're meating with the enemy, and thus not in any likely danger.
Old 11-29-03, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the end of the first movie, Neo says defiantly "My name is Neo!" I think Smith says it to annoy Neo. There is always a somewhat sarcastic tone when he says "Mr. Anderson"
Old 11-29-03, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There is one other time where Smith uses "Neo", it's at the start of Reloaded where he knocks on the door and ask the guy answering the door "I'm looking for Neo" (paraphrased from memory) and gives the door guy the manilla envelope containing his earpiece to give to Neo.

I've seen this film 4 times in the theater, and each time I picked up stuff that is there, but unless you can "quiet you mind", you don't necessary grok the significance of a turn of phrase and other little subtle things that add to the confrontations, but don't seem to upon the initial viewing. I like the details the Wachowski brothers put into this trilogy.
Old 11-29-03, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Originally posted by Jay G.
In an earlier scene (right before?) we see Cypher at the operator's board. He then quickly shuts off what he's doing when Neo walks in. This was Cypher setting up to jack in.

As for getting out, I assume he had some prescripted macro ready that would call him so he could get out. I don't think an operator is required for jacking in/out, although it'd probably be suicide for someone to try sans operator, unless they're meating with the enemy, and thus not in any likely danger.
I've always noticed that bit when Neo and Cypher were talking. My problem was having to plug yourself. In the film it looks really painful and they're always strapped into the chair (look at the locks for their feet) and someone holds them as he/she puts the plugintothe back of the head. But your macro comment does make some sense of it. It still bugs me that he must have put the cable in and taken it out on his own.
Old 11-29-03, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Groucho •<HR SIZE=1>That was meant to be subtle? Oh. Wow. <HR SIZE=1>

Agreed. Most of the things I keep seeing described as "subtle" were pretty straight-forward plot points. Just because they burried much of the plot under a lot of vague philosophical mumbo-jumbo doesn't make it subtle, simply bogged down. It's as if bogging the "point" of the franchise down with all this stuff is supposed to fool us into believing it's a better film than it is.

Btw, at work, we've started having impromptu "Matrix Conversations."

Good morning.
I knew you would be here. Are you prepared?
You already know the answer to that.
Yes, but it is still your choice.
I choose to make a choice.
Do you?
I have always chosen my choice.
I know. I have always known.

Good times ...

das
Old 11-29-03, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by RocShemp
I've always noticed that bit when Neo and Cypher were talking. My problem was having to plug yourself. In the film it looks really painful and they're always strapped into the chair (look at the locks for their feet) and someone holds them as he/she puts the plugintothe back of the head. But your macro comment does make some sense of it. It still bugs me that he must have put the cable in and taken it out on his own.
Also how did no one on the ship notice Cypher plugged in?