Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about T3, John's Future.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 11-13-03, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

about 3/4 through the movie,
Spoiler:

when John, Kate, and the Terminator are talking in the vehicle, about John being killed in the future, the Terminator says "I Killed You". I am just wondering.. Does he mean that another terminator of the same model killed him, or did HE actually kill him in the future?
Old 11-13-03, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He did.
Old 11-13-03, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I took the comment to mean they were one and the same.
Spoiler:
But how the heck did they subdue the Terminator without damaging it? I know the T-800 of T2 had no physical damage but they just reprogrammed a Terminator that wasn't yet activated (there's a scene in the script that shows the older John Connor finding a whole assembly line of them). But the T-800 (or T-101 as he's known as in T3) that killed John was, obviously, already active when they had to capture him. It doubt he'd go down without sustaining lots of damage.
Old 11-13-03, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't know how to do that blackout thing, so...

SPOILER WARNING

I didn't understand the point of mentioning that the T-101 killed John in the future. Are we supposed to assume that John was killed by it while trying to capture it for the purpose of sending it back in time, and that's why Kate ended up sending it back instead?
Old 11-13-03, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
I thought it was pretty obvious in the explanation that he did.
Old 11-13-03, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think it made perfect sense. Ahnold was sent to kill John Conner, which he accomplished. During that time he was captured and reprogrammed and sent back in time. The question of damage is interesting, but i think it's easier to assume they either didn't damage him or repaired him before sending him back.
Old 11-13-03, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Joe Schmoe
I don't know how to do that blackout thing, so...

SPOILER WARNING

I didn't understand the point of mentioning that the T-101 killed John in the future. Are we supposed to assume that John was killed by it while trying to capture it for the purpose of sending it back in time, and that's why Kate ended up sending it back instead?
T-101 said he was sent because he would give John Conner a "Fond Memory" (or something like that) of his childhood and that would help him infiltrate the ranks of the Resistance.

Maybe they already had a T-101 that look like "Arnold", which explains how he would be able to slip by without being noticed.

But, maybe they will be able to stop him now that they know what is going to happen...

or fake his death, which would make the T-101 think it finished it's mission and maybe it would shutdown because it would no longer have a purpose (as long as it was not programmed for something else, like kill all humans). In faking his death, they would not change the past when they send him back.
Old 11-13-03, 10:18 PM

I always thought that all of the T-101's with skin looked like "Arnold". I think it was mentioned in T2 that he was a different machine than the one from T1. There were a whole bunch of Arnolds in T2 the arcade game.

Last edited by llzackll; 11-13-03 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-14-03, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

First off, its T-800!! God I hate how the movie producers screwed that up. In T3, I think Arnold is a T-850 (which would explain the explosive batteries that the others did not have) Model 101.

Secondly, it seems like the T3 Arnold was sent in to kill John Conner and perhaps somehow John let him to close proximity and then was killed (although if John knew he was going to be killed by one, why would he let him so close?)

Finally, after a Terminator's mission is complete, it is possible that the thing just shuts down.
Old 11-14-03, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They could have used some sort of stun ray that stopped the Terminator without doing any physical damage to it. This is the future where ray guns exist.
Old 11-14-03, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In T1 they show a scene of the future where a Terminator who does not look like Arnold sneaks into a human compound and begins to kill.
BTW if they were designed to infiltrate the humans (as it was explained in T1) then having them all look like the same guy would be pretty silly.
Old 11-15-03, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well we know that Kate Brewster captured him and sent him back. As someone mentioned, the Terminator will likely shut down after he completes his mission. This would make it easy for Kate to "capture" him and reprogram him.
Old 11-16-03, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by DeputyDave
In T1 they show a scene of the future where a Terminator who does not look like Arnold sneaks into a human compound and begins to kill.
BTW if they were designed to infiltrate the humans (as it was explained in T1) then having them all look like the same guy would be pretty silly.
Well I assume that there are different models, so they wouldn't all look alike. Besides the better models can change shapes. Plus, it seems most of them did not have skin, as you see the robots just marching sans skin.
Old 11-17-03, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
So now, why would John let a termintaor come near him knowing it will kill him?

How can the new Terminator come back with complex weaponry? How are the odds that 2 different companies would design the exact same terminator model? I saw on the 2nd disc that they say the purchased the stuff from Cyberdyne, but how would they have the technology after the events of T2?
Old 11-17-03, 08:35 PM
Banned

On disc 2 of the T3 dvd it explains some stuff. There is an extra scene that explains that they purchased the patents from Cyberdyne. The reason the terminator looked like Arnold is because when they were building the robots to replace soldiers, the soldier they based it off of was one that looked like Arnold.

If you watch the making of t3 the game(i think) they explain the scene.
Old 11-18-03, 02:39 AM

Originally posted by chemosh6969
On disc 2 of the T3 dvd it explains some stuff. There is an extra scene that explains that they purchased the patents from Cyberdyne. The reason the terminator looked like Arnold is because when they were building the robots to replace soldiers, the soldier they based it off of was one that looked like Arnold.

I was gonna say the same thing. The deleted scene was Arnold with a weird Arkansas accent and he says...hey they look like me! I think the name as Srgt. Candy?
Old 11-18-03, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I saw that, but after T2 all that was destroyed. I find it extremely hard to beleive that they were able to come up with all that lost technology. This is why they destroyed the office complex.

I felt that the producers/writers were not trying to explain the contiuation of the Terminator project, like they did with T2. Just put in more explosions and no one will care if we address why and how the T800 is still around. If they had shown Cyberdyne had back ups at another lab, or something similar would be better than a Robocopish T800 commercial w/ a southern Arnold.
Old 11-18-03, 12:41 PM
Banned

But if they bought the patents, all the info is right there for them to work off of. They also said (I just remembered), that they were working off of Dyson's backup notes.
Old 11-18-03, 01:00 PM

But if they bought the patents, all the info is right there for them to work off of. They also said (I just remembered), that they were working off of Dyson's backup notes.
But in T2, Dyson was obviously riddled with guilt after being shown what would result from his life's work, and he willingly agreed to destroy everything. I believe if he had backup notes, he would have remembered them and told Sarah, John, and the Terminator about them as well.

The thing about T2 that surprised me the most was that apparently Dyson was a little naive in thinking that all of the information regarding this incredible alien technology was only at two locations--his house and Cyberdyne itself. Look at how many companies involved in more "mundane" businesses keep copies of mission-critical data at off-site locations. He should have known that *somebody* at Cyberdyne would have this data backed up off-site somewhere, like in a salt mine or something. Especially given the nature of that incredible technology.